Located in Ask Pros Anything (APA), started by Domain Shane, Nov 14, 2017
Ok friend .....riddle me this ...... how long is a piece of string ?
Do you think somebody will come along and fill the void left by Domain Sherpa, by attempting to start something with a similar format? And what's stopping you from being that person, perhaps with a weekly video show on DSAD?
I know that hosting video is expensive, but you can upload to YouTube or Vimeo and simply embed them to cut costs?
1. From a personal standpoint, home repair. I'm skilled enough to do it but don't have the time frame to finish that my wife would like to see. I have a person to do every thing and anything. People call me if they have something that needs fixed because I know everyone in town or at least know someone that knows someone. I'm the Shane'slist of Urbana some times.
From a domain standpoint it has to be development. I'm just not skilled enough to design and code. That's why I've teamed up with Travis. He is great at both
2. Domain: Botany dot com. Got it for a great price. Personal: Garmin 235 watch. Love the thing. Light, comfortable and gives so much info
3. SS Pigeontoe Because I'm pigeon-toed and walk funny and kids made fun of me all the time. It never really bothered me and nobody ever nicknamed me it because they couldn't spell it
4. Coding for a simpler answer. Life. I would like it if any person walked up to me that I would know exactly what would make that person happy at that moment. It would make all meetings better
5. I think I've shared enough. I do give out one piece of advice all the time. "Don't teach your kids, show them" Words are great but kids want to be their parents. Give them something to be
It will always be one string length
Thank you for the kind words
. I have done zero outbound. One, I'm lazy. Two, I'm afraid I'll send out to the wrong people and I will get a UDRP. And 3, I use number 2 as an excuse to be number 1
Most domain investors don't do outbound and just wait. So the thinking big broker's names have been exhausted is usually untrue. BUT I think I should do a bit more reaching out to people to at least let them know the name is for sale.
Do you know of a few good, trusted, domain brokers that we could ask to consider finding buyers for our domains?
There are tons of brokers that I trust and would work with but they all only take higher end domains. Everyone I meet wants to find someone to help them sell their domains. The reality is there isn't anyone out there that has the ability to make your domain more valuable than it is. The good brokers are merely people who are known for having good names to sell so they have all the eyeballs. But they are flooded with names every day. And yes names that are bad from good clients and friends make the list
I wish I had a better answer for this one
1- Seems my last post got lost in the thread clean-up .. if you don't mind would like to know how the cookies work (per domain / just who sent traffic regardless of bids/purchase / % of auction price or flat rate / etc)
https://www.namepros.com/posts/6437299/ (Just above the chicken question .. lol)
You've referred to her quite a bit .. and doing the math of your daughter's age I'm going to assume you knew her well before your first domain purchase:
2 - How did you meet (if it's not too personal)?
2b - What does she think of all this madness called domaining?
PigeonToe.com and PigeonToed.com are both taken!
You can name it PigeonToe.co though .. I know you like domains that rhyme!
3- Did you ever sale your other rhyming .co (dodo.co I think it was)?
(I'm guessing that wasn't the big NDA? lol)
As great as this is, it's nothing compared to the wealth of information, opinions and good ol fun on both DSAD and formerly on Domain Sherpa .. for those who've never listened to the Sherpa Reviews, I strongly suggest going back and listening the remaining ones available .. and definitely sign up for the DSAD newsletter! Just a ridiculous amount of information in both places .. and more importantly that information is actually fun and enjoyable to consume .. I've died multiple times laughing in the middle of the sidewalk while listening to the Sherpa Reviews walking my dog .. as well on many of the domain comments on the DSAD daily lists!
Domains can be brutally funny sometimes .. GoodTpying.com was on auction yesterday for example .. I think my all time faves are both from Sherpa: a tie between HappyHooker.com (towing company) and FatMatt.com (because of the backstory)
I love you Ategy but I could only imagine what runs through your head. I didn't answer because it would only be followed by a four page response.
1. I don't want to comment on cookies because there is an art to capturing them and how they work. It's how we make money (nothing malicious) and our income source so prefer not to get into detail
2. How my wife and I met was through my best friend in High School. He went to college and dated her sorority sister. Of course he introduced me to another sorority sister and not my wife. She was dating someone else. I switched as soon as she freed up
2b. Everyone in my family is amazed that I make two livings. That I can go to two completely different industry conferences and people know who I am.
3. I sold bobo.co to Alan Dunn, never saw he did with it. I don't check back on names I sold
Yes on the pigeon toe thing, I checked but would still never use them because nobody can spell it.
lol .. yeah I guess that's rather accurate .. plus I have a day off today and my little dog Steamie is still in the hospital .. so would likely be more than 4 pages. I have a good/bad habit of being as detailed as possible because I used to have a DJ / Club Music community with 30,000 members from all over the world where a lot of members didn't speak English as their first language .. where it was critical to be detailed enough to never be ambiguous .. some call it clarity .. others call it rambling .. it's probably near equal parts of both! Actually discussed it in further detail in the comments of your blog on Monday!
[ https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-domains-auction-monday-november-13th-2017/ ]
Q: In the past you've touched on partnering for bigger domains.
Are you still doing this?
Did you guys at Sherpa ever end up getting SpitFire.com?
I'm going to make this the last question of the AMA. I truly thank everyone for reading and participating. And thanks to everyone for keeping it a positive thread.
And now the answer. The void of Sherpa isn't going to be filled. It never left, the new Sherpa is around the corner and I think it will be as good as ever. I talked to Andrew for a long time and I think you are going to like the new show. Some of the old with some new things sprinkled in. The new host is much better looking than Michael(not me). There are people working and preparing for the new show as we speak. And yes, I will be a part of the new show. Love it or hate it, I plan on keeping my same seat. The rest of the info is Andrew's to share. It's his show. I'm glad he is letting me be a part and I can assure you that great content is coming
With that, Seacrest out
Separate names with a comma.