Dynadot

I'm New...But,

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I could use some help determining how best to monetize the 450+ .com domains I've accumulated over the last 12 months. 80-90% of the .com domains I own were purchased to compliment the business brands I'm developing. I have three Brands that will become registered trademarks, one is completed, and the other two are works in progress.

Somewhere along the way, I started buying names that didn't compliment my brands, but were just available for the bargain price of 8.49 per domain. So many ideas were going through my head that I registered the domain, "BrainOnOverdrive".com. I'd hear someone say something on TV, I'd hear something on the radio, or I'd even hear a sports announcer, ore even a friend say something that had me running to GoDaddy to see if what I heard, or a variation of what I heard was available?

If someone told me a year ago that I'd own 450 .coms today, I would have said "your crazy". I have a pretty simple business model on how to monetize my Brands, and a I'm meeting with a local University next week to see if I'm able to work with their Entrepreneurial and Enterprise Innovation schools to best monetize my Brands. I'm also aware that many of the domains I purchased were solely for the purpose of being able to place the "TM" symbol after the name, if it were to be screen printed or embroidered on at t-shirt or hat, or maybe a coffee or beer mug. This said, I could probably either sell or lease the domains as long as the buyer has a different use?

Now to cut to the chase, I'm interested in partnering (in some capacity) with someone who can help me to manage and monetize my domains. Does anyone know of a company or individual who might be interested? I don't have a lot of skin in the game...maybe about 5K plus my time. In full disclosure, my background and experience in business would certainly be able to weed out any frauds or scammers that this industry seems to have. And I would expect anyone interested to check me out as thoroughly as I would check them out.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Bulloney aka Rich Morris, or Google my Linkedin bio Richard B Morris, Virginia Beach, Va.
cell or text 757 439-9902

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum! I might give a call to see if I can be of assistance. I'm in Los Angeles. Anyway, best of luck! Hope to do business in the future!

•••
Is Bulloney your first name? Welcome. :cigar:

•••
Welcome. I just reached almost 400 myself (started in January of 17) Good luck to you in all your endeavors!

•••
g'day and welcome to NamePros

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
•••
Well you’re probably not the dead historian Richard B. Morris so are you the politician Richard Morris from Virginia?

Last edited:
•••
Welcome to the forum Rich!

•••
Hi there Rich .. and first of all welcome to NamePros.

I'm certainly no lawyer, and likely far from being even the most knowledgeable person here on the subject .. but I'd suggest you look a little more into trademark .. as I don't think you have a complete grasp of how they work. I'm the first to say they are really complicated and interesting .. however I'm fairly sure the actual "TM" symbol is actually rather useless .. you can have an active trademark without ever using a "TM" symbol or even registering for a trademark from the government .. and conversely something branded with a "TM" could not even qualify as a trademark.

The only thing registering a TM really does is give you better proof later when defending your TM .. it also allows you 2(?) years protection on your trademark before needing to actually use it in the case when your business is in pre-start-up phase.

Also .. if it's saying your hear on the radio or TV then there's a good likelyhood you would not be able to have a trademark .. although it might be possible on a particular business category class of trademark. Kinda like how nobody could ever really trademark "Apple" generically .. yet "Apple" is able to trademark it for specific computing business categories.

That being said .. I do think "saying" and "catch phrase" domains are great investments .. I think they are even better investments if they are terms and sayings and slogans that AREN'T trademarkable .. because that means whoever owns the .com effectively controls a "virtual" trademark in terms of being able to use and market the term effectively back to the .com.

In terms of monetization .. good luck with that .. it really isn't that easy without actually developing the sites. But it totally depends on the specific domains of course! ;)

Anyhow .. I've been in the domain game about a year myself and accumulated a monstrous number of domains myself .. so welcome to the club .. and good luck going forward! :)

•••
Welcome to NP!
I have only 3 domain ( strated 2 month ago)

•••
Hello Rich. Good to have you here. Shall reach to you sometime for sure in order to learn what's there in the box.

Welcome onboard.

•••
•••
Welcome to NP :xf.wink: I stick all my names on Undeveloped.com and point my nameservers over there. You can then set prices all at once in your control panel and they make nice looking landing pages. Not at all advertising but you can see an example at expiring.org of what this landing page looks like. It's free but they do take a percentage of your sale if it leads to a sale however. There's other similar systems of parking like Uniregistry or Efty.com. No matter which you choose, parking could be a good option if you have so many names and it's an easy "hands off" experience. If someone really does want to buy your name, they'll go through your landing page. I've landed two different $x,xxx deals like this with names I spent either $xx or $xxx on.

Last edited:
•••
Welcome to the nP family (y)

•••
•••
Well you’re probably not the dead historian Richard B. Morris so are you the politician Richard Morris from Virginia?
Lol...i like your SOH...that would be sense of humor. Try Virginia Beach, Virginia. That's where you'll find me on Linkedin.

•••
Welcome to NP :xf.wink: I stick all my names on Undeveloped.com and point my nameservers over there. You can then set prices all at once in your control panel and they make nice looking landing pages. Not at all advertising but you can see an example at expiring.org of what this landing page looks like. It's free but they do take a percentage of your sale if it leads to a sale however. There's other similar systems of parking like Uniregistry or Efty.com. No matter which you choose, parking could be a good option if you have so many names and it's an easy "hands off" experience. If someone really does want to buy your name, they'll go through your landing page. I've landed two different $x,xxx deals like this with names I spent either $xx or $xxx on.
That's good stuff frostify...I'll check it out. Thanks

•••
•••
•••
Hello Rich. Good to have you here. Shall reach to you sometime for sure in order to learn what's there in the box.

Welcome onboard.
Thanks Nikhil...look forward to it!

•••
Is Bulloney your first name? Welcome. :cigar:[/QUOTE]
It's Oscar, but everyone calls me Bulloney. Funny, I was more than a little surprised the one word domain Bulloney was available. I thought I'd struck gold, but it appearsit's just Bull!

•••
After choosing carefully, I would develop some of those 450 domains on multiple VPS's.

•••
Back