NameSilo

I'm addicted to regging new & deleted domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ang

Upgraded Member
Impact
I'm just coming back after a 3 year break and in the last 5 days have regged about 25 new or expiring domains and I just can't stop!

5 letter .coms, future tech & insurance domains everywhere!

I think I have a problem... is anyone else finding some nice gems hidden away these days?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well seems like you got the most important part down. You are willing to learn.

Keep going and sell that dentist thing. Its a good start.

Yes, I am after it, making calls (like wolf of wall street) and emails to show them how the domain will reduce their advertising spend and will pay for itself!

Last edited:
•••
Well once you get an offer, dont try to oversell. You convinced them already.

Go to the next lead and leverage that first offer if you want more. But be happy with the proposed profit if no one else goes for it. Stupid to keep sitting on a name you could shift now. It wont be significantly more valuable down the road, its just not that good of a name.

•••
Probably you are right, I started domaining in Jun 2016 (10 yr late to the party) and like a toddler does, I will fall and learn from my mistakes.

Fortunately, the mistake is only GBP 1/ domain name but during the domaning journey, I am fortunate to have met some nice people like you guys who are willing to guide a new starter...I appreciate that very much!

I thought you said you were registering 1 or 2 domains a day and sometimes nothing. Over 400 of mostly crap domains in 2.5 months, is approx 5 domains a day. I'm speechless!

•••
Yes, I am after it, making calls (like wolf of wall street) and emails to show them how the domain will reduce their advertising spend and will pay for itself!

I'd like to be a fly on the wall listening to you g2g7.com pitch :)

The biggest problem with your purchases was not thinking about who the buyer would be.

Last edited:
•••
I thought you said you were registering 1 or 2 domains a day and sometimes nothing. Over 400 of mostly crap domains in 2.5 months, is approx 5 domains a day. I'm speechless!

Initially the speed was high(due to lack of experience) ,then I slowed down.

Later I realised, I need to protect singular and plurals both, to create shortage in the market so 1 phrase gets registered 2-3 times (HarleyDental.co.uk / HarleyDentals.co.uk etc)

Current speed is 1-2/ day or NULL ;)

•••
otfdc
lrlhb
adslz
uinlo.

those you probably won't renew

I would set them to "non renew" now
and wait for the warning email

•••
Well good morning, seems my thread has been busy while I rest. In response to the posts directed at me:

I only posted my questionable ones, I don't post all of my domains for various reasons. Also, many of the names I grab I taste and throw back. Part of my budget is set aside for deletion fees. I have made nice profits flipping hand regs in the insurance field and future tech markets so while I agree hand regging these days is iffy it is not "stupid" or gone forever.

We all need to slow down and evaluate once in a while. Keep the spending within the budget and the plan in focus.

To @nimtree slow down young fella... you have some decent names in there but you are getting carried away. In a years time you will understand.

•••
@nimtree I think you have too many domains.
I don't know how much you've spent so far, but you could have bought just a few prerelease names instead. At least get some aged domains that are somewhat desirable.
Quality > quantity.
Just because you can register names for cheap, doesn't mean you should buy plenty.
100 bad regs @ $1 a pop is still money that could have been diverted toward better purchases.

There are two problems with domain addiction:
  • the cost of registering, and possibly renewing domains (which typically means wasting more money)
  • the other problem is time: it takes time to find domains, to manage the portfolio, and then to figure out what to keep/what to drop. It is a time-consuming exercise, and if you are on the fence on whether to renew, then maybe your names are not so good after all. I am not saying you should never drop domains, but think twice before you buy to avoid buyer's remorse.
Domainers seldom account for the time dedicated to their activity.
I am consultant, so I charge for my time. It's not cheap, but it has to be worth it. As a domainer I now discipline myself to consider my domaining time as valuable.

PS: I hardly handreg anymore nowadays. It happens but not often. It's usually because I intend to develop the domain (that might get an unsolicited offer in the meantime). That are still many decent domains available. But decent is not enough if you want to make sustained sales. You must aim for great domains preferably.

•••
Well said @Kate

May I ask what type of consulting do you do?

•••
"Picture the person buying the name from you, BEFORE you buy it" Absolutely correct!

...and realize a buyer has MANY alternative names to buy or even can handreg himself a similar name as yours. Your name has to be special enough to pay for.

Why would one buy your v1v3.com for a nice amount of money if he can (let's say) register v3v1 or v1v4 himself? Ask yourself the question what you would do.

Last edited:
•••
Official member of domain reggers anonymous here.

Help me - I'm regging and I can't stop!!!!!!

v

Crash!!!!

•••
Well, a domain a day keeps the bankruptcy away. ;)

•••
Hello my name is Ang and I'm an addict.

•••
•••
•••
I have just gone through some recent comments in this thread.
No should should presume that just because a domain has gone through the deletion cycle and is now available in 2016, it is worthless or has zero sales potential.

I pick up domains on most days of the week week (yes, for reg fee) that sell in the $250-$750 range. There are many great coupons out there (.COMs $1.5-$3 / .NETs under $1).

Even selling 1 in every 6 names and repeating the process is a highly profitable business model. You need patience, dedication and an eagle's eye for homing in on the right types of names that for which end users would happily/readily pay for ownership.

•••
@Federer - Whilst I agree with what you say. A noob who has bought 400 mostly unsaleable domains in 2.5 months isn't doing the kind of due diligence, which needs to be done. He isn't even considering who he might be able to sell the domain to, before buying them. They even mostly look like entirely random purchases. And is why I told him bluntly, most of his domains, which he happily posted, are crap. Which he has wasted his time and money registering. He has found, luckily for him, 1 domain with a potential buyer, which will pay for all his mistakes. But if he'd done his due diligence, that would have been profit for him. I hope he finds a few more domains like that.

•••
Agree 100%.

@nimtree - You need to focus on product and service domain names. These are more likely to end up in the hands of an end buyer.

A few examples: ForkliftEquipment.net, FamilyMediationServices.net, CorporateApartmentsBoston.com, EverettWashingtonRealEstate.com, PortlandSecurity.net….

•••
I only spend, what I can afford to loose...no bragging, till now I have spent 2 days worth of my earning on domanis , so I am good.

I can think of better things to buy with my paycheck that'll have a higher return than what you've been selecting. Aluminum may even have a higher ROI...

You need to step back, grace delete or come to the realization that 99.98% of these are probably drops, and focus on 1 name for your daily earnings of anywhere from $200 to $2000. You'll do much better, and thank me later.

•••
Well, the HarleyDental.co.uk from the same crap lot has been offered GBP 500 with a single outbound phone call ($650) .I think its worth more than 500. Harely Street in London is famous for dental and cosmetic clinics. I will wait for right offer.

One thing you might want to consider... The domain may well be worth more than GBP 500 to someone, but that buyer may take years to show - or may never show up at all. 500 is a nice return on a name you got for reg fee.

Taking the money now would allow you to acquire many more names and possibly make a much greater profit in the same timespan you spend waiting for the right buyer of HarleyDental.

For example, say you are waiting for GBP 1200, and it takes you 2 years to sell it (which isn't long at all in the scheme of things. You are up 1200 (minus reg fees) in 2 years.

But what if you took 500 now and got 3 or 4 slightly better names in the aftermarket? Any one of those could sell for GBP 2500 or so, without straining the buyer. You might actually be losing money by holding on to one domain trying to squeeze the best price out of it.

Of course, there is no way to know which way to go - so much is up to fate. But cash flow and opportunity costs need to be considered.

A lot depends on your circumstances and buying patterns, but if you need to sell a certain amount each year, in most cases it's better to take the cash in hand and reinvest. If you don't need the cash, then go ahead and hold out. If it's a name with a potentially massive upside, then hold out. But when a name has limited upside, I tend to prefer the cash in hand.

•••
it has become more difficult to make money online, so people are dropping domains

•••
The best advice I can give is to make sure you do your research, and always think about the end user (if you are reselling). It's always a good idea to niche yourself, and focus on a particular area, that way it becomes less confusing particularly if you are regging that many!

Never hand reg a domain because you think it sounds good - always ask yourself 'who would this appeal too?'

Last edited:
•••
Even if I was living on top of a mountain with no online connection I would still find a way to reg, proberly by smoke signals !

•••
Even if I was living on top of a mountain with no online connection I would still find a way to reg, proberly by smoke signals !
LOL...also by the cloud, sun, wind and the air =)))

•••
...and realize a buyer has MANY alternative names to buy or even can handreg himself a similar name as yours. Your name has to be special enough to pay for.

Why would one buy your v1v3.com for a nice amount of money if he can (let's say) register v3v1 or v1v4 himself? Ask yourself the question what you would do.

Well, I checked all possible combinations of V(number)V(number).com and they are all gone..

Moreover here is some interesting stats for LLNN, LLLN, NNNL, LNNN etc. .com

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back