IT.COM

I'm addicted to regging new & deleted domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ang

Upgraded Member
Impact
I'm just coming back after a 3 year break and in the last 5 days have regged about 25 new or expiring domains and I just can't stop!

5 letter .coms, future tech & insurance domains everywhere!

I think I have a problem... is anyone else finding some nice gems hidden away these days?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When you get the urge, look at your best domain and add another year

•••
I'm addicted to catching deletes as well... though I am getting more and more picky. I don't go for anything less than the "omg, who is letting THAT drop? I have to have it!" level of excitement.
... Which doesn't happen everyday

Last edited:
•••
Just make a sales plan. Don't wait until you have 500 names before you start thinking.

•••
I was addicted too but (the fear of) renewal fees made me sober again ;)

•••
I refer to it as a "problem" in a joking manner.

While I am always appreciative of advice, my intent was to discuss recent new and deleted domain registrations with others achieving similar results to mine.

Lol... you are discussing addiction with a bunch of addicts already - Like going to the local pub to talk to drinkers about ur drinking problem... chances are they would say "Sit down and have a drink mate!...now lets talk about this drinking problem you think you have" :-D

•••
Yep, still a lot of good buys out there. Good luck mining those gems!

•••
There's always something everyone else left behind. Just make sure it's worth your time and money and have fun with it!

•••
I got "choose car insurance" dot com today... not the strongest but has traffic and decent cpc

Some decent 5L .coms too, not as strong as 4L but only cost me reg fee and a bunch have a bit of existing traffic

otfdc
lrlhb
adslz
uinlo

Regged a few drone related .ca and then a bunch of insurance related .com

But my spending spree is coming to an end. I usually give myself 2 small spending sprees a year then the rest of the time is being picky and purging.

I think you should slow down and only register domains that have obvious end users.

Your 5L's above look poorly, there is 11.8 Million 5L's available in each extension so selling them could be very difficult.

Try making a list of potential purchases and reanalyze it before you make decisions on registration.

Last edited:
•••
Even if I was living on top of a mountain with no online connection I would still find a way to reg, proberly by smoke signals !

•••
I always have a plan :) And a buget.

•••
•••
Never really played the European markets much. I exclusively work in .com and .ca

•••
Ha ha ha. Welcome back to the club. Keep going young man.

•••

While I am always appreciative of advice, my intent was to discuss recent new and deleted domain registrations with others achieving similar results to mine.

•••
I'm addicted to catching deletes as well... though I am getting more and more picky. I don't go for anything less than the "omg, who is letting THAT drop? I have to have it!" level of excitement.
... Which doesn't happen everyday

Yes, I agree with that..I keep close eye on drops and only reg 1-2 per day, sometimes none!

There are some great opportunities in other areas eg. .co.uk or .de where the market is not that intense and good domains may still be available to hand reg or pick from drop.

•••
You should share what you've regged.

•••
@nimtree I think you have too many domains.
I don't know how much you've spent so far, but you could have bought just a few prerelease names instead. At least get some aged domains that are somewhat desirable.
Quality > quantity.
Just because you can register names for cheap, doesn't mean you should buy plenty.
100 bad regs @ $1 a pop is still money that could have been diverted toward better purchases.

There are two problems with domain addiction:
  • the cost of registering, and possibly renewing domains (which typically means wasting more money)
  • the other problem is time: it takes time to find domains, to manage the portfolio, and then to figure out what to keep/what to drop. It is a time-consuming exercise, and if you are on the fence on whether to renew, then maybe your names are not so good after all. I am not saying you should never drop domains, but think twice before you buy to avoid buyer's remorse.
Domainers seldom account for the time dedicated to their activity.
I am consultant, so I charge for my time. It's not cheap, but it has to be worth it. As a domainer I now discipline myself to consider my domaining time as valuable.

PS: I hardly handreg anymore nowadays. It happens but not often. It's usually because I intend to develop the domain (that might get an unsolicited offer in the meantime). That are still many decent domains available. But decent is not enough if you want to make sustained sales. You must aim for great domains preferably.

•••
One don't have to be a veteran in domaining to get the idea of finding and acquiring really good and potential domain assets, to flip or develop. And a newbie don't have to start-up in this business by hand-registering available domain names to flip, that are harder to sell.

Sometimes (actually, most times) it pays to read other investors' mistakes and success stories in domaining, both right here on NP and on domain blogs, before spending a dime on any name.

To be really successful in domaining (domain investing) is largely a capital play, IMO. There are new domainers with investable capital, spending $X,XXX on (aged) valuable .com names and selling for $XX,XXX. These type of names usually sell themselves and are attractive to potential end-users.

Other factors that may positively affect ones' success in addition to capital, is patience and good negotiation skills.

Even some potential names with good resale value and end usage, can be bought for $XX - $XXX and flipped for 4-5 figures.

It is also better to go for domains that are pronounceable and passes the radio test, as these type of names are more attractive to end-users and increases the probability of potential sales.

•••
You do not need 500 names. If you are hand regging them you will only sell a fraction. How about you just buy one name at 5K and try and flip it.

All your attention can be focused on one worthwhile domain. More time for end-user searches instead of sitting on a bunch of worthless names and hope they will suddenly turn valuable.

This goes for OPs names too. You see yourself turning a profit on those examples?

•••
You've got over 400 domains already and you've just started domaining. You ought to slow way way down. I cannot speak to the .co.uk domains because I've only ever owned 2 and let them both expire. But all those letter+number domains are just so random, I think, you'll be hard to liquidate them at a profit. Pretty much everything else is crap. I don't see 1 quality domain amongst your 400 domains. Maybe I missed it. Apologies for speaking frankly.

•••
You''ll be dropping many more than you sell. But as long as you make a profit overall. It's ok. You should learn quickly by your mistakes. Including those LNLN.com's. Then next year you won't waste so much money on the crap.

•••

If you can pay for bills and the necessities in life ....... have fun but yes good to have a budget/plan
~
Always lot's of hand regging in the future tech but you need patience, cheers

•••
•••
Yes, I agree with that..I keep close eye on drops and only reg 1-2 per day, sometimes none!

There are some great opportunities in other areas eg. .co.uk or .de where the market is not that intense and good domains may still be available to hand reg or pick from drop.

2 domains a day for a year is just about $7k. Good luck with doubling you money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back