NameSilo

Idns: worth registering?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
i thinik they are worth registering, but i would like to hear sme opinions

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question. There have been sales. I own many. Some good and some bad. I would like to know too.

•••
I have seen many other people around here regging them. I do not have any personally. I may be missing the boat, but I don't know a whole lot about them and don't plan on wasting my money on something I have little knowledge of...

•••
All domainers learn (hopefully) from their mistakes what (regular) domains have a chance of generating good ROI...still all the time, we see people keep on regging names that in all probablility have no chance of success. So, even for regular domains there's a learning curve that one needs to traverse in order to make some money in this business....with IDNs you can multiply it by factor of 10, unless you are very well versed in a local language and all its nuances...in addition, its quite unlikely that many IDN names of any value are left unregged by those who have been at it for last several months....just my opinion!

•••
I do agree with fonzie_007 says that: [...don't ... wasting .. money on something I have little knowledge of...]

But I've own about 200 during these 2 years.

I'd like to see how is the IDN market when IE7 going...

•••
GFX^^ said:
i thinik they are worth registering, but i would like to hear sme opinions
I'm not quite sure what the question is. Are there IDNs woth registering? Sure. Are they all worth registering? No. Are they worth registering simply because they're and IDN? Of course not. Should everyone rush out and register IDNs? Probably not.
Binfus said:
All domainers learn (hopefully) from their mistakes what (regular) domains have a chance of generating good ROI...still all the time, we see people keep on regging names that in all probablility have no chance of success.
It's also a mistake to not register names that have a potential to rise in value. At some point in the future every application will have IDN support and the average user will be completely unaware that names were once limited to a 37 character code set. IDNs will be as valuable as any old name at this point.
Binfus said:
So, even for regular domains there's a learning curve that one needs to traverse in order to make some money in this business....with IDNs you can multiply it by factor of 10, unless you are very well versed in a local language and all its nuances...
Fortunately the overwhelming majority of people in the world are well versed in a language other than English. Your “factor of 10” applies only to a small percentage of poorly educated Brits, Yanks, Aussies and Kiwis.
Binfus said:
in addition, its quite unlikely that many IDN names of any value are left unregged by those who have been at it for last several months....just my opinion!
I fail to see why the good IDNs would all of a sudden disappear in the last several months when they have been available for years. Still I agree that a lot of the good ones are gone. On the other hand there are still plenty of decent names out there for someone who wants to get into the game.

•••
I like all good names,include good IDNs.

•••
As these people if they're worth registering

http://www.IDNF/

-Steve

•••
i think it is worth registering idns ... they are long time investment ... the prices of it is increasing so a year or two ... you are in a good place

•••
I might sound & be biased because I own IDNF but primacomputer has a valid point. Most Americans have the English is everything attitude without even asking other people.

I'm American but bilingual in Japanese (actually I'm a TV talent in Japan too) so I get to think about the use of these domains for the average person in that country.

With IDN Domains they are an investment. We see it as a way to do the same thing that the smart companies did by registering really generic keywords back in the 90's. Instead we don't just have English we have multiple markets to try to do the same thing in.

Me personally I only own Japanese IDN domains. This week I posted my entire Premium IDN portfolio on my site so members can see & determine if there is any value in IDN domains.

The negativity on the regular domain sites about IDN domains made me & others stop posting about IDN domains on these sites & inspired me to create IDNF. Since then we really developed a great IDN awareness community. The attidude about IDN domains has turned around & finally people do understand the potential.

I don't think it is for everyone though. If you are happy registering regular domains & looking to park them at SEDO or Fabulous & sell based on a years worth of CTR rates then so be it. I want to be able to sell IDN domains because it's either simple generic keywords in those countries that have over 75,000 to 1,400,000 searches on OVT a month or each item sold for that simple generic term produces over $1,000 to $100,000.

Some of us own really simple terms in really good markets: Beer, Gold, Money, Fur Coat, Car.
Lots of IDNers own stuff that we know sold for over $10,000 in English. Can we pay $7 to keep this till the market opens wide? You betcha... But it's not for everyone. I personally want to be rollin on dubs... :blink:

•••
some european IDNs are very worth registering, especially when IE7 comes along it's gonna have full IDN support.

but korea, chinese, japanese IDNs aren't, because to type it in one has to switch inputing methods several times.

•••
edwinfelix said:
but korea, chinese, japanese IDNs aren't, because to type it in one has to switch inputing methods several times.

This my friends is EXACTLY the kind of myth/misconception that keeps Westerners from seeing the value.

Question have you ever personally typed in Japanese or Chinese? I do on a daily basis. Japanese can do it faster than me & I can switch languages types from English & Japanese on a Mac & PC as fast as it takes me to press the space bar to write a capital letter.

On a Japanese keyboard you press ONE button & you are typing in english. You press one button you're back to Japanese. Can I ask where do you see the hard part in this? I personally don't see it.

As I wrote in my previous point. Since people don't even understand how people in other countries type on a keyboard. They just assume that it's hard, people can't do this, they can't do that. Make your decisions based on people that actually have ties with the target countries you have intrerest in.

I'm fluent in Japanese, I graduated from a Japanese school in Japan, I consult for Japanese companies, I'm a TV talent in Japan & spend most of the time around friends who can't spend English. I own Japanese websites, every computer I owned was bought in Tokyo.

Who do you think knows what they are talking about...

•••
I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I do know some.
You press 1 button to switch, for Korea it's pretty much the same, there's a Han/Eng button or something.

It's not too hard, but this button significantly decreases the domain's value. Like it's not too hard to type in a hyphen, but hyphenated domains generally don't sell for good prices.

•••
OK so your entire argument is because Japanese would have to switch over & press ONE button to type DOT COM that they would not use IDN domains because of YOUR concept of what is hard.

Would you give up using domains IN YOUR NATIVE language because you have to press a button that you usually use on a regular basis?

I'll debate this one to the end.

I can write dozens of valid points on why especially those with double byte languages are better with IDN domains.

Here's a few

1. English based domains have absolutely no SEO value to Japanese. Only IDN domains can be included in the search engine algorithm because they contain the native keywords.
2. Japanese in Japan CANNOT see an English based domain on the train go home & remember it. It's a fact. Can you remember spanish or French domains go home & type it in correctly?
3. IDN Domains that are simple like are just easy to remember & can actually match Japanese company names, product names & brands.
4. It's harder to change a term from hiragana to Japanese kanji than it is to switch from English to Japanese.

I listed a few now I really want to know just where did you get this fact?
Google supports IDN Domains, Goo just added IDN support to their Search Engine, Yahoo Japan supports IDN domains.

Pressing the language encode button is nothing like comparing a domain with a hyphen guy. Think in reality.

Fact is if you got a choice would you rather have domains in your own native language & lettering system. English is just better is just a pure Western myth, Create for westerners by Westerners...

I'd love to see any real valid point you can make. I have a whole forum & blog filled with facts... What you are saying is a misconception. If you think they are worthless because YOU don't know hard it is then say that. Those two buttons are as easy to push as the shift button. There is no Shift+Button. You press one button.

My last statement is this. What about the fact that Japanese actually DON'T have to switch over to type .jp or dot com... Yep that's right I never wrote it before but realisticaly they can type letters in English in the one button Japanese mode. What's your point now?

•••
Olney said:
I personally want to be rollin on dubs... :blink:

And your going to be thick in it too. :'(

Get them while you can domainers, this is the domain rush of the 90's all over again. They say history repeats itself, well........

Last edited:
•••
Well if domains are like real estate, then Japanese names got to be good.

World's most expensive cities:

1. Tokyo
2. Osaka
13. New York City
44. Los Angeles

Wish I know Japanese.

•••
I remember saying in a forum to get these IDNs, they surely are worth registering, in the end when few will be left, ill hear people complaining.... i wish i got hold of em earlier,.....!!!

•••
A lot of sour grapes, but in the end, the issue at hand is "time". It takes hell a lot of time to learn the ropes for IDN, and to register, and that is opportunity cost in a rising dot com market. So there's trade-off either way. For domainers with "money", the easiest way is to buy.

•••
Well, there is certainly a risk involved as with any other business and domaining is a type of speculation, you risk all you can afford to loose, maybe the risk will eventually pay off

•••
khuldun said:
Well, there is certainly a risk involved as with any other business and domaining is a type of speculation, you risk all you can afford to loose, maybe the risk will eventually pay off

Well, i think it depends how it is done, register a 1000 junk domains today, it's possible to write them off after 2 years, and lose more than ten thousand dollars.

Register 20 good German/Spanish idns 4-5 years ago, it's possible to make a couple hundred thousand dollars in a few years time, and total investment is only slightly over a thousand.

•••
edwinfelix said:
some european IDNs are very worth registering, especially when IE7 comes along it's gonna have full IDN support.

So would you sai its better to be registering native language ccTLDs as opposed to .coms, ie 名字.中国 or 名字.公司? This would certainly be less work than switching to English input trying to remember the correct pinyin, typing mingzi.com, and then switching back.

You also have to bear in mind that people are used to switching back and forth between input methods all day. It's about as natural as typing a space for you would be. Does it take you much longer to type words with spaces between them than it would to typethingsalltogetherlikethis?

•••
I'll post specs & translations of just SOME of my Japanese domains.
These are literal translations (Except for the first one there is no true English Equivalent)

1. translation: SwimsuitModel.com OVT: 1,821,222 last month for the term
2. translation: AdultVideo.com OVT: 711,399
3. translation: TVGame.com(term used for Console Games) OVT: 79,1466

Now when finding generic terms with Overture scores like this when I first began buying IDN domains. You tell me if it's worth $8 to register these?

I personally think of it the same in English. What would I get if I owned domains like NewYorkHotels.com, Mink, FurCoat.com, ParisHotels.com, CheapTickets.com, CheapHotels.com, PinkDiamond.com in English.

Lucky thing is I DO OWN THEM ALL IN JAPANESE... Don't miss the boat... These aren't even my best...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back