NameSilo

IDN potential value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm curious. I want to get an aprox value (other than phishing) for an IDN. I bought xn--u-dvb.com which transalates to us.com (in I don't know what language) totally ignorant about this IDN "enchillada" at an ebay auction.

And also how the inferno people are going to get to this site if the letters remain appraently the same? (posibly dvb is the translation for a weird "s" from who knows what "slang-guage" (excuse my sarcasm IDNers; I just had a bad 1st impression).

I may have the chance to get a refund back; but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

Greetings to the seller (just in case). Thanks for your Help!

J CoTTo

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry for your bad experience. Try to get your refund, as this domain has basically no value. It doesn't really mean anything in any language, as it is mixed script...

Feel free to PM with more questions, or if you'd like some additional resources.

Cotto said:
I'm curious. I want to get an aprox value (other than phishing) for an IDN. I bought xn--u-dvb.com which transalates to us.com (in I don't know what language) totally ignorant about this IDN "enchillada" at an ebay auction.

And also how the inferno people are going to get to this site if the letters remain appraently the same? (posibly dvb is the translation for a weird "s" from who knows what "slang-guage" (excuse my sarcasm IDNers; I just had a bad 1st impression).

I may have the chance to get a refund back; but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

J CoTTo

•••
my first piece of advice would be to invest in a name that has a meaning in the language of that IDN script. For example I own a .com /.net/and .jp of a word that means "blonde" in Japanese. It's hard to miss the potential value of a domain like that.

IDN that have no meaning in the target language are by definition garbage domains that are not good for anything (other than phishing which I hope you do not value.

•••
rhys said:
IDN that have no meaning in the target language are by definition garbage domains that are not good for anything (other than phishing which I hope you do not value.

If we are talking about uncommon IDNs, (IDN which don't belong to any known language) maybe one or two chars IDNs could have a little market.
For example:
à.com
è.com
etc.

Some time ago i registered the greek domain:
οοο.com

(ο is the greek letter omicron)
In the greek language οοο has no meaning, but someone has already contacted me to buy the domain (I don't remember from where, maybe Athens).
Probably it depends on the particular graphic of οοο.com
(but the price was very low, so i didn't sell it)

Nowadays, a very important thing that we can notice, is also the possibility to use browsers which are able to illustrate the IDN domains in the URL address.
If you are using a browser like Opera, probably you already knows it.
Maybe in the future all the browsers will be like Opera.

•••
Davin,

Your three LLL.com IDN DOES have meaning. What was being said above as "no meaning" is taking two different scripts and mixing them to make a BS IDN (like a majority of the IDNs registered and put up on this forum--sorry, but that's all I've been seeing!)

When you take a Cyrillic letter and mix it with an English ASCII and end up with "USA" (NOT the example, don't want to get the cyrillic alphabet), then it's worthless.

But if you go out and buy America in lets say Japanese, then it does have value.

Your LLL.com in Greek does have meaning since it's exactly that, L L L in (1) Language, Greek... and is typeable for Greek keyboards.

I have IDNs that target certain areas yet amazingly get traffic WORLDWIDE. The hell if I know how, but parking is enjoyable! It's like a new record every month... = growth and realization of IDNs.

Also, Firefox Internet Explorer 7 and Opera (there are more) are the top 3 main IDN enabled browsers. Right now IE6 has a grasp on the market share which is NOT IDN enabled... once IE6 dies and an IDN enabled browser takes its place, things will get interesting.

It's all speculation from here about the POTENTIAL, but common sense will tell you otherwise (not going to get into that).

•••
Fka200 said:
Davin,

Your three LLL.com IDN DOES have meaning. What was being said above as "no meaning" is taking two different scripts and mixing them to make a BS IDN (like a majority of the IDNs registered and put up on this forum--sorry, but that's all I've been seeing!)

When you take a Cyrillic letter and mix it with an English ASCII and end up with "USA" (NOT the example, don't want to get the cyrillic alphabet), then it's worthless.

But if you go out and buy America in lets say Japanese, then it does have value.

I understand, I call the IDN made by different alphabets "IDN Mixed".
I have many domains: DN, common IDN, uncommon IDN (but not IDN Mixed). I have also a very few of uncommon IDN made by secondary letters of latin alphabet (I know that you don't like them, but if you want I'll show you one of them ;) ), they seem like DN but are very difficult to type.

Now I would like to present you another strange domain:
υρ.com

What do you think?

Cotto said:

J CoTTo

aaahhhhhhhhhhh, I've seen what you bought:
uѕ.com
with the u of latin alphabet and the ѕ of cyrillic alphabet.
It is a good example of an IDN Mixed. It is a bit difficult to type it. Surely 0 visits with type-in.
The only way to have visits is to build a website. In such a way the domain could be list in a Serp.
It depends upon you.

•••
Now I would like to present you another strange domain:
υρ.com

What do you think?
Hi Davnin - I don't think there is anything wrong with this domain. It's a two-letter Greek domain (U and R). We all know the value of two-letter domains in ASCII and someday LL.com domains in other alphabets will also be valuable.

Just look at Russian LL.com domains. Out of over 900 total (that I would perceive as having value) there are less than 200 left at the moment. Potentially a big market there IMO.

•••
thefabfive said:
Hi Davnin - I don't think there is anything wrong with this domain. It's a two-letter Greek domain (U and R). We all know the value of two-letter domains in ASCII and someday LL.com domains in other alphabets will also be valuable.

Just look at Russian LL.com domains. Out of over 900 total (that I would perceive as having value) there are less than 200 left at the moment. Potentially a big market there IMO.

you're right, it's a LL.com with greek letters which is very similar to up

and what do you think about this one?
uĸ.com

Fka200 said:
Also, Firefox Internet Explorer 7 and Opera (there are more) are the top 3 main IDN enabled browsers. Right now IE6 has a grasp on the market share which is NOT IDN enabled... once IE6 dies and an IDN enabled browser takes its place, things will get interesting.

it seems to me that there is a great difference between Opera and Explorer-Firefox.
If you look at the URL address of a greek or russian, or japanese domain, etc. you'll see it.

•••
and what do you think about this one?
uĸ.com
That one I'm not too thrilled about. This domain would be next to impossible for anyone to type in. :)

•••
davnin said:
it seems to me that there is a great difference between Opera and Explorer-Firefox.
If you look at the URL address of a greek or russian, or japanese domain, etc. you'll see it.

Firefox currently has a "whitelist" option enabled by default which prevents unicode URL display from .com/.net and I think .org. ccTLDs like .jp display properly in unicode. Opera displays unicode and IE7 displays unicode as long as you set the language in your Internet Options > Tools > Languages > Add Language

•••
Fka200 said:
Firefox currently has a "whitelist" option enabled by default which prevents unicode URL display from .com/.net and I think .org. ccTLDs like .jp display properly in unicode. Opera displays unicode and IE7 displays unicode as long as you set the language in your Internet Options > Tools > Languages > Add Language

actually the best browser for the visualization of IDN-domains is Opera, imo

thefabfive said:
That one I'm not too thrilled about. This domain would be next to impossible for anyone to type in. :)

yes, it is an IDN LL.com with latin chars, but very difficult to type

you can find it only with a link or if it is in a Serp

In effect the best way to use this kind of domain is to build a website

The same for the IDN-mixed domains

Last edited:
•••
davnin said:
actually the best browser for the visualization of IDN-domains is Opera, imo

Perhaps, but ultimately it doesn't matter which browser is best. What matters is that Internet Explorer 7.0 supports IDNs and that it is in the process of becoming the dominant browser around the world. Opera is cute but in general just a niche product when we talk about IDNs going mainstream. Firefox is much more important depending on what part of the world you are talking about, of course.

•••
Don't waste your money on mixed script IDNs. Verisign has a strict policy about mixed scripts, due to the potential risks of phishing websites. They keep watching mixed script registrations and deleting them regularly. Those who register and sell mixed scripts really undermine the credibility of the IDN marketplace. IDNs are meant for internationalizing the domains and not for child play.

•••
.tv said:
Don't waste your money on mixed script IDNs. Verisign has a strict policy about mixed scripts, due to the potential risks of phishing websites. They keep watching mixed script registrations and deleting them regularly. Those who register and sell mixed scripts really undermine the credibility of the IDN marketplace. IDNs are meant for internationalizing the domains and not for child play.

but is it possible that the owner of us.com (DN) asks Verisign to delete the domain uѕ.com (IDN mixed)? :?
or the uѕ.com (IDN mixed) is deleted only if there is a website similar to the one on us.com (DN)?

Last edited:
•••
.tv said:

In general, this is good advice. Although it is important to remember that mixed scripts are perfectly allowed for some languages because they use mixed scripts in real life as well for example it is fine to mix Japanese kana, kanji, and roman letters.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back