IT.COM

IDN Case Sensitive???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was looking at registering some IDNs today. I settled upon single letter Greek IDNs. I don't think single letter .coms are allowed in general, but maybe because of the punycode versions the system allows you to register single foreign letter IDNs (Maybe I'm the last one to figure this out too :) )

Anyway, I type in: δ.com and I get xn--pxa.com
then I type in: Δ.com and I get xn--swa.com

Same letter, but just capital. I don't know if this is what they had to do because trying to make them the same would be too difficult or something else, but this looks like it could be very confusing. Anyone have any insight into this? This is probably old news and I'm just late to the party :hehe:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, think of it this way. Your browser does not handle them as letters in a set alphabet, but rather symbols. Just like "A" looks different than "a" (although the same letter). So, I guess thats why it's treating capital and lower case delta as different. However, it doesn't make much sense when you consider how easy it would be for someone to miss the distinction between your site with the lower case and another site with the upper case.

•••
(Maybe I'm the last one to figure this out too) That might well be true ;)

Most capitals are blocked from registration, Greece is one of the exceptions probably because their is a distinct difference in appearance between the capped and un-capped letters and there is difference in scientific symbolism. Maybe all capital letters will be blocked in the future, it would surely improve accessibility.

p.s. your homepage has a rogue banner ....

•••
This is the nice one!
Yup, does matter. Good luck!!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back