IT.COM

Single letter Chinese/Japanese IDN domains - Drop or not?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have the following single letter IDN domains and I'm wondering if I should keep them or let them drop.

括.com (xn--5tu.com)
禍.com (xn--okz.com)
擬.com (xn--s8u.com)
虜.com (xn--d81a.com)
紺.com (xn--kc0a.com)
枠.com (xn--ktv.com)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ok sorry but what exactly do you mean that chinese people likes pinyin domain anems way better than IDNs? aren't they all the same thing?

Pinyin is chinese characters correct?
so an IDN is an internation domain name right?
so a domain using pinyin characters would be by default an IDN?

for example I own
.中国

Great thanks not that being a newbie should be an excuse but I am a newbie apologies if I posted in the wrong thread. I just got chewed out in some other thread for simply asking a question. Thanks I already contact Andrew
No apologies needed. Hope you find your answers and don't let the grumpy members here get you down.

•••
ehhhh it's ok I'm teflon and they're spam and eggs. nothing sticks. lol but it's so delicious when I gobble them up. lol

•••
ok sorry but what exactly do you mean that chinese people likes pinyin domain anems way better than IDNs? aren't they all the same thing?

Pinyin is chinese characters correct?
so an IDN is an internation domain name right?
so a domain using pinyin characters would be by default an IDN?

for example I own
.中国

Great thanks not that being a newbie should be an excuse but I am a newbie apologies if I posted in the wrong thread. I just got chewed out in some other thread for simply asking a question. Thanks I already contact Andrew

pinyin is the way to represent Chinese character in English according to mandarin pronunciation. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
Hi there Andrew Chen. I was hoping I'd find someone chinese on here to get the real 411 on these idn extensions. I'm asking you on here just to help everyone else on here to get info. but so which one of these are more "valuable" to chinese businesses?

.中国 - .China
.在线 - .Online
.中文网 -.Chinese Website

.在线 - .Online and .中文网 -.Chinese Website were regstered first by the Chinese gov over at ICANN. are these the best investment in IDN's? or is .中国 - .China going to surpass them?

I noticed over at SEDO the only domain auction site now that allows chinese IDN's and seems as though "in their eyes" that .在线 - .Online is more a top IDN because the rest they put at the bottom of the list of choices of filtering the extensions a domain buyer is looking for.

So is SEDO correct in thinking this? or no?

I personally feel that .China is better for "national pride" than a generic .online or .chinesewebsite.

Honestly I feel like whoever decided on .online or .chinesewebsite to be the idn ext's for china had to be Gov officials who don't understand about domaining at all.

whoever decided on .China finally got it right. Because .CN has no chinese Pinyin versions then .中国 - .China is the next best thing.

what do you think?

and can anyone else add their 2 cents? thanks. if you like this give me a thumbs up thanks.
I don't like those Chinese character IDNs because they are pretty likely to have compatibility issues (some Chinese online website doesn't even recognize .info as a valid domain) and people have to remember to switch Input Method so that they type . instead of 。for the dot used to separate the TLD.

•••
I see but isn't the Chinese Government going to "push" these Chinese IDN extensions? for supposedly from what I've read to make it easier for chinese only speakers and readers to type in chinese websites on baidu. plus someone told me too that most internet users in China are mobile so most phones already have the .COM button anyways so having to switch would not be a problem.

Ok so I've read all over the place online about the future of Chinese IDN that the Gov is going to well "force" any chinese website operating in China and whose target market is Chinese to have an ALL Chinese character IDN because they feel that the Western .COM has had a monopoly on domain extensions for a very long time.

Do you believe or do you see the Chinese Government perhaps headed down that route?

I honestly think it might happen. that plus I'm sure the companies that own
.中国 - .China
.在线 - .Online
.中文网 -.Chinese Website

are well connected in the CBD that I bet it would be easy to get a law passed forcing all chinese companies or websites to have both all chinese idn domains or IDN.COM or IDN.IDN.

What do you think? China has a reputation of doing some messed up things to it's people with FORCE especially if it benefits the "friends" of the CBD.

From what I'd watched on Youtube. Nothing gets done in China unless you get the "stamp of approval" from the CBD. and when you have the CBD in your pocket anything is possible.

Can you imagine how RICH these guys (.中国 - .China / .在线 - .Online /. 中文网 -.Chinese Website) will be if they "convinced" the CBD to create a law banning .com's from China? or forcing all Chinese websites to OWN Chinese IDN'S so that chinese people who don't speak or read Western Characters can have an easier time on the internet.

I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks.,

•••
Chinese people likes pinyin domain names way better than IDNs. I am also Chinese.
Hi Andrew
Do you think emoji domains will be popular with all the cellphone users in China
Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back