Dynadot

Single letter Chinese/Japanese IDN domains - Drop or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have the following single letter IDN domains and I'm wondering if I should keep them or let them drop.

括.com (xn--5tu.com)
禍.com (xn--okz.com)
擬.com (xn--s8u.com)
虜.com (xn--d81a.com)
紺.com (xn--kc0a.com)
枠.com (xn--ktv.com)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not really up on Chinese/Japanese IDN domains, but thought it might be useful to post the meanings/translations of these words/letters.

括.com Include - Chinese
禍.com Epidemic - Japanese
擬.com Pseudo - Japanese
虜.com Prisoner - Japanese
紺.com Navy blue - Japanese
枠.com Frame - Japanese

•••
Thanks! Rep left. :great:
Not really up on Chinese/Japanese IDN domains, but thought it might be useful to post the meanings/translations of these words/letters.

括.com Include - Chinese
禍.com Epidemic - Japanese
擬.com Pseudo - Japanese
虜.com Prisoner - Japanese
紺.com Navy blue - Japanese
枠.com Frame - Japanese

•••
•••
Any more opinions? I'm making my decision soon.

•••
•••
How is the traffic?
No idea. :-/ I don't have them parked anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion for a good IDN parking service?

Last edited:
•••
•••
My definitions are slightly different. I don't see anything I would want, as none of the words in either case are brandable (except maybe navy blue 紺) or descriptive of a product. I'm also not really bullish on domain futures in Japan. I only keep those that pay for themselves at Namecheap
括.com fasten, tie up
禍.com catastrophe
擬.com imitation or pseudo, for a bag that imitates Gucci, it might say Gucci擬
枠.com frame, but not as in picture frame. Used to describe frames on websites mostly

•••
Thanks DA & EV1! Rep left. :wave:
My definitions are slightly different. I don't see anything I would want, as none of the words in either case are brandable (except maybe navy blue 紺) or descriptive of a product. I'm also not really bullish on domain futures in Japan. I only keep those that pay for themselves at Namecheap
括.com fasten, tie up
禍.com catastrophe
擬.com imitation or pseudo, for a bag that imitates Gucci, it might say Gucci擬
枠.com frame, but not as in picture frame. Used to describe frames on websites mostly

Last edited:
•••
Thanks DA & EV1! Rep left. :wave:

I am unsure if i have seen you over at IDNF ....very handy for extra info but they really hate this place so dont mention here ......true !

•••
All are available to register in .net and also all available in Japan cctld .jp so probably no A listers here.

If they get traffic and pay their renewals then I would think they are worth keeping.

There are still some great prime Japanese domains available for sale on the secondary market xx and xxx prices.

•••
There are still some great prime Japanese domains available for sale on the secondary market xx and xxx prices.

Oddly enough, the only Japanese names I have that pay for themselves are fresh hand regs.

•••
Oddly enough, the only Japanese names I have that pay for themselves are fresh hand regs.

Traffic is still mediocre to Japanese idn.com, but if you get even minimal traffic most find the ppc is very strong. There is a decent secondary market for Japanese names so pretty easy to maintain a portfolio that will sustain itself between ppc and a few domain sales. Still a waiting game, probably will be a few more years....could even be 5 or more waiting on that market to catch up. Hopefully idn.idn and the new gtlds will spark the interest.

•••
Traffic is still mediocre to Japanese idn.com, but if you get even minimal traffic most find the ppc is very strong. There is a decent secondary market for Japanese names so pretty easy to maintain a portfolio that will sustain itself between ppc and a few domain sales. Still a waiting game, probably will be a few more years....could even be 5 or more waiting on that market to catch up. Hopefully idn.idn and the new gtlds will spark the interest.

Funny thing is most japanese are not onto domains yet, they simply adore yahoo search. I also hope the interest increases but many idn fans have been waiting a while now

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Check out the punycode on my name 塬.COM‏ ...??

•••
Funny thing is most japanese are not onto domains yet, they simply adore yahoo search. I also hope the interest increases but many idn fans have been waiting a while now

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------
Check out the punycode on my name 塬.COM‏ ...??

Many have been waiting over 10 years....the first idn.com were registered in 2000'.

Now thats patience! :zzz:

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Check out the punycode on my name 塬.COM‏ ...??

Good one! I bought xn--sex.com a few years ago. :lol:

•••
I'm surprised how many one character IDNs are still available... they are mostly chinese I guess. But I just did a scan and there is like over 10,000 available... But most of them are probably just gibberish.

But I have a question... this will sound dumb, but how do they write those "letters" into address bar? :red:

Last edited:
•••
I'm surprised how many one character IDNs are still available... they are mostly chinese I guess. But I just did a scan and there is like over 10,000 available... But most of them are probably just gibberish.

But I have a question... this will sound dumb, but how do they write those "letters" into address bar? :red:

perhaps ...... [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_input_methods_for_computers"]Chinese input methods for computers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

•••

About 1000 Chinese characters make up 90% of the day in/ day out language. They say you need to know about 3000 Chinese letters to proficiently read a newspaper. More on this link:

http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/topchars.php

Last edited:
•••
Traffic is the first.But chinese don't like the idn. I'am a chinese.My email is chillee#qq.com.

•••
Chinese people likes pinyin domain names way better than IDNs. I am also Chinese.

•••
I thought Chinese like numbers more than letters. I see more than 50% emails with line of digits @qq.com, 163.com and so on while looking at whois info.

•••
Chinese people likes pinyin domain names way better than IDNs. I am also Chinese.

Hi there Andrew Chen. I was hoping I'd find someone chinese on here to get the real 411 on these idn extensions. I'm asking you on here just to help everyone else on here to get info. but so which one of these are more "valuable" to chinese businesses?

.中国 - .China
.在线 - .Online
.中文网 -.Chinese Website

.在线 - .Online and .中文网 -.Chinese Website were regstered first by the Chinese gov over at ICANN. are these the best investment in IDN's? or is .中国 - .China going to surpass them?

I noticed over at SEDO the only domain auction site now that allows chinese IDN's and seems as though "in their eyes" that .在线 - .Online is more a top IDN because the rest they put at the bottom of the list of choices of filtering the extensions a domain buyer is looking for.

So is SEDO correct in thinking this? or no?

I personally feel that .China is better for "national pride" than a generic .online or .chinesewebsite.

Honestly I feel like whoever decided on .online or .chinesewebsite to be the idn ext's for china had to be Gov officials who don't understand about domaining at all.

whoever decided on .China finally got it right. Because .CN has no chinese Pinyin versions then .中国 - .China is the next best thing.

what do you think?

and can anyone else add their 2 cents? thanks. if you like this give me a thumbs up thanks.

•••
Hi there Andrew Chen. I was hoping I'd find someone chinese on here to get the real 411 on these idn extensions. I'm asking you on here just to help everyone else on here to get info. but so which one of these are more "valuable" to chinese businesses?

.中国 - .China
.在线 - .Online
.中文网 -.Chinese Website

.在线 - .Online and .中文网 -.Chinese Website were regstered first by the Chinese gov over at ICANN. are these the best investment in IDN's? or is .中国 - .China going to surpass them?

I noticed over at SEDO the only domain auction site now that allows chinese IDN's and seems as though "in their eyes" that .在线 - .Online is more a top IDN because the rest they put at the bottom of the list of choices of filtering the extensions a domain buyer is looking for.

So is SEDO correct in thinking this? or no?

I personally feel that .China is better for "national pride" than a generic .online or .chinesewebsite.

Honestly I feel like whoever decided on .online or .chinesewebsite to be the idn ext's for china had to be Gov officials who don't understand about domaining at all.

whoever decided on .China finally got it right. Because .CN has no chinese Pinyin versions then .中国 - .China is the next best thing.

what do you think?

and can anyone else add their 2 cents? thanks. if you like this give me a thumbs up thanks.
Avtar, you'll likely get a better response if you copy and paste your post into it's own thread (or ask an admin to do it for you). This thread is from 2012 and the last reply was over two months ago. Private messaging Andrew would probably get you an answer even faster ;)

Last edited:
•••

ok sorry but what exactly do you mean that chinese people likes pinyin domain anems way better than IDNs? aren't they all the same thing?

Pinyin is chinese characters correct?
so an IDN is an internation domain name right?
so a domain using pinyin characters would be by default an IDN?

for example I own
.中国
Avtar, you'll likely get a better response if you copy and paste your post into it's own thread (or ask an admin to do it for you). This thread is from 2012 and the last reply was over two months ago. Private messaging Andrew would probably get you an answer even faster ;)
Great thanks not that being a newbie should be an excuse but I am a newbie apologies if I posted in the wrong thread. I just got chewed out in some other thread for simply asking a question. Thanks I already contact Andrew

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back