Domain Empire

IDN basic doubts -

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ocaio

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

I'm planning to register some names as IDN domains. Do you think it could be a good investment?

What should I consider before I purchase an IDN domain?

In the case I founded good words (eg:. sex.com) in russian or chineese or any other language, would it be such a good investment as the same name in English)

thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

I'm planning to register some names as IDN domains. Do you think it could be a good investment?

What should I consider before I purchase an IDN domain?

In the case I founded good words (eg:. sex.com) in russian or chineese or any other language, would it be such a good investment as the same name in English)

thanks!

Yes, but most top terms are gone. Long awaited confirmation was received from Verisgn this week to confirm that existing idn.com holders will be given rights to "unlock" idn.com under the new .gtld program (with .com being the transliteration of 7 major native languages).

•••
Don't bother. Almost every investor in IDN is bailing out

•••
What do you mean with this ??
Explain better what Verisign exactly has decided, with some examples.

Yes, but most top terms are gone. Long awaited confirmation was received from Verisgn this week to confirm that existing idn.com holders will be given rights to "unlock" idn.com under the new .gtld program (with .com being the transliteration of 7 major native languages).

And to the poster just before me => I'm not bailing out.
I find it quite logical that people use accentzs in their own language, and prefer
The 1st thing we learned is to wirte "mistakes" against their own language in URL's, and not use accents. Luckily IDN's (IDN.COM, IDN.net etc..) came and IDN.IDN's came also. But the people have to learn to use these domainnames. It's only 5 years I guess that browsers sustain IDN's. In the past that was different. And IDN gave "an error". The people have to get used to the new situation.

Last edited:
•••
What do you mean with this ??
Explain better what Verisign exactly has decided, with some examples..

As part of the new GTLD program, VeriSign applied for the strings that sound like .com and .net in major languages so existing .com and .net holders also get ".com" and ".net" in the corresponding language, kind of a 2:1 deal..

From VeriSign"

http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/pr...e-added-products/idn-domain-names/index.xhtml

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/06/2...-to-verisigns-com-transliteration-selections/

Note, VeriSign 'ammended' the transliteration problems as noted in the Domain Name Wire article as far as I am aware.

More articles can be found at at idnblog.com

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Don't bother. Almost every investor in IDN is bailing out

No sure many are bailing, some are culling their portfolios in expectation of another 1-2 year wait. The idn.idn program is very close to being implemented (after a 13 year wait for idn.idn mind you), , if there is not interest after that is rolled out then you might see people dropping names.

Any decent names at Dynadot auctions, Snapnames or Godaddy auctions are met with multi-bidders and some names have fetched up to mid x,xxx.. Top names, or traffic names few and far between on the Chinese IDN, or English IDNF sites.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back