NameSilo

Idn 101 through 999. "Q/A"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello, I was asked to start this thread and discuss the issues surrounding the secrecy of IDN and unicode. I am not the best teacher, so please bear with me and keep in mind, that this isn't a matter of whether it's going to happen, it's a matter of when. IE7 plays a critical role in this. In a recent blog microsoft had this to say about idn.

Browser support for navigating to URLs written in users’ native languages is critical for making the Internet truly international.

Remember: This is Microsoft not some back alley company pushing the latest "fad." I am going to discuss the and show you that all of the major internet companies (Icann, Microsoft, Firefox, Google, Yahoo, Local Governments and more) are behind IDN and it starts at home a domainers parents with "Icann."

As I go on I will keep adding more and more info post after post so this may break up a bit, I am sorry for this but I can't do it anyother way. I will try to answer questions as I go, but I may have skip a few until I am through.

What is IDN?
Source Wikipedia.
An internationalized domain name (IDN) is an Internet domain name that (potentially) contains non-ASCII characters. Such domain names could contain letters with diacritics, as required by many European languages, or characters from non-Latin scripts such as Arabic or Chinese.

What is unicode?
Source Wikipedia
Unicode is an industry standard whose goal is to provide the means by which text of all forms and languages can be encoded for use by computers.
It's basically the countries language after a computer has translated it from punycode. 报纸.cn That is unicode.

What is punycode?
Source Wikipedia
Punycode, defined in RFC 3492, is the self-proclaimed "bootstring encoding" of Unicode strings into the limited character set supported by the Domain Name System
This is how the computer reads the domain similar to ip. xn--4ruw83d.cn That is punycode.

I will continue with the next batch of information if people want me to go indepth with idn and their implementation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dont stop now

Im telling you this thread will become historic. Were watching, never mind us! :)

•••
In the name of time I will start next with what I would have ended with to avoid repeated questons.

How in the hell to I even know what I am looking for?

There are many ways to find a good idn. Including but not limited to: Online Translators, Overture, Search Results. Remember, you need to check a word across all of these tools. In this order, Translate, Overture, Search Results, Registrar.

Great Online translators:
Google Trans
Babbelfish Trans

U.S Ovterture Russian & Arabic words maybe searched here.
Japanese Overture Japanese words.
Taiwan Overture Traditional Chinese.
Brazil Overture Portuguese words
Spanish Overture Spanish words
French Overture French words

Additional overtures are out there just replace the last two letters in the url with the specific country code for the country.

Two best search engines.. I'm sure you know them :xf.love:
www.google.com
www.yahoo.com

Register: I will list my favorites in the order I like them. This is not all inclusive.
Domainsite.com
Dynadot.com
Idotz.net

More to come, soon!

•••
I will be regging a few of these babies. I think there could be potential, but it wont catch on until Microsoft develops some kind of script program, that makes this language painless (and they will)!

•••
thanks for the info. I have added rep to you.

•••
Thanks you two.

RonnieW. IE7 is comming out this quarter and it will allow the full implementation of IDNS! You can click here to read about them and their HUGE future with Microsoft. Blog Link

And I come to my next bit of info.

Where can I park these?

The best place by far is
namedrive.com They allow all characters and the page is displayed in full unicode, unlike the rest right now.

You can park them at most all parking places but they have yet to work out the kinks.

Where can I sell these?
Afternic.com is the best place to sell these. They allow all idn's to be accepted into their system.
You can sell them at most places. Afternic by far has the best system.

What browsers accept idn's? and will the resolve?

The myth is that some browsers wont accept idn's. This is false. Explorer 6 wont accept unicode but will accept punycode. The problem is this is meaningless to the user in their native land, much like a domains ip is meaningless to the average user here. Explorer 7 will allow the full implementation of idn's in unicode and punycode!!! Users will be able to type it right into the url.

Firefox, already accepts idn's in unicode and punycode. You may download Firefox here. GetFirefox.com
The problem with firefox is roughly 4% in asia have firefox, instead of the 60% in europe, which is why french and german idn's are selling for as high as $XX.XXX already. But once Microsoft comes out expect the prices for Asian domains to increase DRAMTICALLY.

More to come.

Going to bed soon... I will continue more in the morning, I hope this was enough info for tonight anyways.. :) ..More will come in the morning.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Midano said:

A great tool :tu:

Well written post, sarcle. Informative, clear, and covers many of the issues.

I always enjoy a good advocate for an innovation, and I believe that for many reasons, IDN's will become more popular and more necessary (Perhaps even for ICANN to continue to thrive as the world source/authority on IP/DNS control...).

I do not have many IDN domains (At the moment I can think of only 2 that I registered thanks to the help of our own "dillpup"), and have not received a single offer and very limited traffic to date, but I still maintain a cautiously "bullish" attitude.

-Allan :gl:

•••
•••
wow, great to hear that IDN's will actually be of some use now :D

•••
Im Pumped

All this idn talk has really gottn to me..... I had to go and Reg 自由手机.com
witch is FreeCellPhones.com.... Freecellphones.com Sold for 60k on sedo.... So i figuired i couldnt go Wrong.... I might call the owner of freecellphones.com and try to sell it to him lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back