IT.COM

ICANN Registry Services Evaluation Process (NEW POLICY)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ICANN has implemented a new policy that allows registries to submit proposed new services or changes to existing services without waiting for their contract renewal. The announcement is here:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/rsep-advisory-25jul06.htm

The Policy it relates to is here:
http://www.icann.org/registries/rsep/rsep.html

I thought this paragraph was interesting:

2.1 Registry Operator or Sponsoring Organisation considers new registry service

A Registry operator or sponsoring organisation at any time may decide to change the architecture or operation of an existing TLD registry service or introduce a new TLD registry service (See Implementation Note Step 1).

Okay, so what does this mean? I think it gives registries more lattitude to make quicker changes to their business plan, or add new types of services on the fast track. (Remember Verisign's Wait List Service?)

First, it appears Tralliance has already submitted a proposal to implement a wildcard DNS setting on the domain search.travel. This appears similar to what Verisign tried to do with capturing non-existing-domain traffic on the .com registry a few years ago that ICANN eventually stopped. I would think if they get it, all other gTLD registries would try to capture wildcard traffic on their TLD. Basically, it lets them capture PPC/search traffic or otherwise monetize non-existing or unregistered typo domain traffic without investing in purchasing domains! It may not mean much within the .travel TLD, but what if this expands to other gTLD's?

Second, it might allow less than successful TLD's like .pro to change their non-working structure to a more open market by changing their contract and business plan without waiting for it to go through renewal. (Like what .name did shortly after they found they couldn't make it just selling third level domains).

This may be good or it could be bad, or maybe a little of both. It would certainly make changes quicker in the industry. Broken registries could be fixed quicker, but you also may see something sneak up on you with little advance notice or discussion.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think this could be very important for the industry to know about.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great post and nice analysis. I do think it makes sense that registries can implement changes without contract renewal. However they need to be approved first imho and that's where the process gets tricky. Oddly ICAAN and the registries are becoming more and more government like in their operation and like most governments are taking steps to ensure their own power without the consent of the people they are supposedly working for.

•••
I dont think they have the foresight to predict this type of thing. They should, because they should be aware of all the major flaws in the system now and all the ways registrars are exploiting it, but they just dont seem to care. ICAAN isn't really a governing body... its more of an enabler for an alcoholic...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back