Domain Empire

ICANN Moves Against Domain Tasting

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ICANN has finally moved against Domain Tasting:
http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-23jan08.htm
Section 5 and 6.

Basically the Add Grace Period (the five day period during which a newly registered domain can be deleted without cost) is being removed. Any domain registered will have to be paid for. However the problem is when this move will be implemented. This, coupled with Google's real move, may signal the end for domain tasting.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
binaryman said:
This is just the beginning of the end of domaining folks. Next thing that's coming is that parking of domains will be banned. You must either have a proper site and not infringe any trademarks or nothing at all.
[...]
Also selling of domains for a profit should be banned. Only the registries should be allowed to sell domains and that at the normal prevailing going rates. Developed sites are another matter of course and will need some other rules and regulations.

I donΒ΄t think that is going to happen. What if I want a domain just for email?
I have a domain only for email.

As for your second point I would really like to know you reasoning for that.

•••
binaryman said:
This is just the beginning of the end of domaining folks. Next thing that's coming is that parking of domains will be banned. You must either have a proper site and not infringe any trademarks or nothing at all. Parking a domain will normally infringe on somebody's legit site and that legit site does not have to have a registered TM either. If they have been in business long enough they automaticly aquire rights and any domain that is just parked can never aquire such rights. Domaining is getting a reputation as a sleasy business and registering a domain should require proof of the owners intent and content and rights to that content. If you cant proof such the domain must not be allowed to be registered. Also selling of domains for a profit should be banned. Only the registries should be allowed to sell domains and that at the normal prevailing going rates. Developed sites are another matter of course and will need some other rules and regulations.

I don't think it will happen. Too many large vested interests to fight anything like that. And the lines between parking and content are blurring rapidly anyway. I'll bet three years from now there will be product you'd find hard to tell whether it's parked or original.

•••
binaryman said:
This is just the beginning of the end of domaining folks. Next thing that's coming is that parking of domains will be banned. You must either have a proper site and not infringe any trademarks or nothing at all. Parking a domain will normally infringe on somebody's legit site and that legit site does not have to have a registered TM either. If they have been in business long enough they automaticly aquire rights and any domain that is just parked can never aquire such rights. Domaining is getting a reputation as a sleasy business and registering a domain should require proof of the owners intent and content and rights to that content. If you cant proof such the domain must not be allowed to be registered. Also selling of domains for a profit should be banned. Only the registries should be allowed to sell domains and that at the normal prevailing going rates. Developed sites are another matter of course and will need some other rules and regulations.

I believe he is just being cynical here folks. His point (if I may be so bold) is that giving in to the ninnys that claim all the bad things that are happening with domain tasting opens the door to all the ninny's complaints about the internet.

"It needs to be free" "It was not set up to be for Commerce" "All information needs to be free"

I think we can all agree that the internet and domain names are only just tapping the surface of what they can be capable of. The business behind domain names (registration and secondary market forces) are also at the very beginning. Lets see what the "market" dictates. Noone (who knows anything about the domain business) can say that Tastin has slowed down the industry or the number of registrations. It has increased it. We have brand new booming industries (Parking, auctions, forums, online escrow, template designs) not to mention the freelancers and web designers who create content for the sites.

I am all for changing "domain kiters" because they seem to be stealing domains without ever paying for them. Domain Tasters (most in my opinion) are tasting names with a goal of buying--a small fraction yes, but playing within the rules as they are. We need to be VERY skeptical about ANY changes to the way domains can be registered. We all now how the rules work now and are working within them well. New rules and regulations my wipe out everything we have worked for.

Just a word of caution.

•••
OMG, that was the biggest piece of bureaucratic garbage I've ever seen. At least 4-5 people spoke about completely different ideas and terms, yet somehow they all managed to agree with each other... In the end, there was no resolution other than to encourage ICANN to speak about this topic again in the future...

If it's as contrived and pointless as this was, they shouldn't even bother. I've heard crackheads deliver more poignant arguments :'(

•••
haha, like the .xxx issue.

•••
Ronald Regging said:
At least 4-5 people spoke about completely different ideas and terms, yet somehow they all managed to agree with each other.
That's essentially what ICANN's trying to do what others found challenging to do
on their own, don't you think?

Beats me if binaryman was being cynical earlier. But DropWizard hit the nail that
there are vested interests who surely won't be interested in seeing that happen
anyway.

One thing at a time, folks...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back