NameLot
  1. → We are performing a scheduled upgrade. The site may be intermittently unavailable. ←

ICANN declares coronavirus a “natural disaster” to protect expired domains

Labeled as news in Domain Industry News, started by Domain.Drop, Apr 9, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Domain.Drop

Domain.Drop Upgraded Member Blue Account

I'm glad the original owners who needed the considerate support got it, and I wonder how much this will impact the result of everyone's domain hunting efforts over the past weeks.

http://domainincite.com/25407-icann...a-natural-disaster-to-protect-expired-domains

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

3. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Gold Account Blue Account

4. pb

pb Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Will it keep registrars from grabbing the domains for themselves or auctioning them off, though?

5. Jean Carlos

Jean Carlos Established Member

6. anantj

anantj Top Contributor VIP

What's the implication of this? Does this mean that no domains will drop for the next few weeks? How will it be decided who is "unable" to renew their domains right now?

7. Domain.Drop

Great question, @anantj - according to the passage, the ICANN has invoked this provision once before, in response to Hurricane Maria. I imagine they'll follow the same guidelines as they did for that crisis:

I take this to mean registrars have the support of the ICANN to withhold domains from release for backdrop orders and auctions. Anyone have another interpretation?

8. pb

pb Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

As far as I understand, on the example of .com, registrar has a renewal fee frozen in verisign's account for the period of domain expiration and it is released/refunded only after deletion. If that is correct, I doubt many registrars will be happy about getting their funds frozen for an even longer period.

9. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

For this scenario to work, the registries (Verisign, etc.) should agree not to autorenew domains on expiration date. Currently, registrars pay registries for instant autorenewal and is refunded if the domain is later deleted. It is possible - there are no technical limitations to have the expired domain working.

Without such an action from the registries - it would not work, as registrars will still need to fund the registry renewals, and without a reasonable timeframe to receive a refund.

It would be interesting to see what will hugedomains+godaddy do now. Hugedomains own portfolio, being autoselected + automatically priced, was never the best portfolio (in quality/price ratio(. So, in crisis times, cooperation with godaddy expired auctions (inflating prices) should be the major $$$ income source for them. Without this income - what will they end up with?

10. Domain.Drop

With the same outcome as all of our restaurants, entertainment venues, and malls, I suppose. :muted:

Tangent: I can't imagine how stressed the small ma-and-pa business around the world are now. The bits of aid filtering through from government aid and local relief efforts must feel like bandaids in comparison to the financial hemorrhaging all around us.

Note to self: Be extra-thankful that all of your ventures are digital. :yawn:

11. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Gold Account Blue Account

there is a safety auto-pilot rite? I mean the server rooms can run without people if they had to? yipes.

12. Domain.Drop

So long as nothing burns out - and the systems are entirely dependent on self-sufficient sources of energy. *fingers crossed*

13. anantj

Though it is not clear if this declaration caused Verisign to waive the restoration fee (already confirmed as supported by @Epik.com is a good move. Hopefully, other registrars will follow and also not like @Dynadot who are still charging $10 as a late fee

14. Pay.My.id

Pay.My.id Top Contributor VIP

Thank for sharing

15. Domain.Drop

Agreed, @anantj. Love @Epik.com for a lot of reasons. @Dynadot, not so much - even the shopping experience is painful.

No matter the industry, never make interactions annoying, let alone when your competitors are so on point in just about every aspect!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  16. anantj

Just saw this post by @EJS https://domaininvesting.com/registrars-respond-to-icann-statement-about-relief-for-registrants/

This has official statements from several top registrars so this is a good and informative post.
    From the same post, Epik, Namecheap and Godaddy's statements are the clearest and most beneficial.

Name.com, Web.com registrars have weasely language of working with clients or asking contact with support which the whole policy a judgement decision. Not so good.

Dynadot already covered above so their statement is incomplete/inaccurate since they ARE charging a late fee (which is entirely their own)

Edit: I forgot. Thank you @EJS. Very helpful post

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  17. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

this is a nice gesture of course. but it will never work and is not really doable across all registrars for all domain owners.

the technical aspect of this would be way too much work. in terms of changing code, algorithms etc.

but a nice thought, thanks icann! they say its the thought that counts...

for my fellow domainers: plz do not rely on this info thinking you will own your domains until Xth day past expiry.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice