NameSilo

iBlock .com sold $50000. Lesson learned "Never underestimate the offer submitted by anyone."

Labeled as discuss in Domain Selling and Domain Sales, started by TERADOMAIN, Jun 4, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. YairDD

YairDD I'm cool, I think? VIP

Understandable.
    Congrats!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Sutruk

Sutruk Top Contributor VIP

Congrats for the sale! (y) Although you expected a bit more, $50,000 is a very good number for your investment. (y)

3. Catalyst01

Catalyst01 Established Member

Congrats and thanks for sharing this insight. I was just wondering how much you got this domain and how long it took to sell it. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me on the need why you should know who the buyer was when it was not a direct sales from you but through Dan? Sincerely speaking, thats a sweet name. Hope you made a good ROI on it to enable you make another huge investment. Thanks for sharing

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. TERADOMAIN

TERADOMAIN QualityNames.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Thanks. Please go through the threads and various responses. You will find answers for most of your questions.

5. DomainBarracksRob

DomainBarracksRob Top Contributor VIP

@TERADOMAIN Thanks for sharing this valuable lesson and info! Also congrats on the $50k pay day none the less.

Funny it can go both ways, I once declined a starting 100k offer on a name, assuming it was a joke and told them further actions like this will get you banned from dan. LUCKLY ( I HOPE) this was for a .GG LOL so I assume it was a safe move on my part. When it comes to a Good .com I'll have to take every offer serious at first, and of course have my morning coffee :P

That was and is a fantastic name for the niche

6. ASHOK MOHANTY

ASHOK MOHANTY Established Member

I agree with you!
    Two weeks back I received an lower $XXXXX offer for CarsBazaar.com and negotiated it to high $XXXXX, the buyer accepted the offer but didn't pay.

7. bulkdomainz

bulkdomainz Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

8. domainpizza

domainpizza Tasty Pricing Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

I say you have done very well.:xf.smile:
    Personally , I would go invest some of my profits at DotCrucible.:xf.laugh:

9. SamQuino

SamQuino Upgraded Member Gold Account

Congrats on this $50k domain sale, and Thanks for sharing this experience. It's very inspiring and informative.

10. FMy

FMy NameRobin.com Gold Account

Congrats and thanks for the post.

Usually I do respond humbly to every offer I receive, even if I'm not interested. But to be honest, sometimes the fake offers and non-payments are frustrating. Your experience will remind me to be more patient in all these cases going forward.

All the best wishes.

11. Catalyst01

Catalyst01 Established Member

Thanks

12. Kris88

Kris88 Established Member

wow awesome work, thats a hell of a domain, luckily the purchase was legitimate

13. ArunD12

ArunD12 New Member

14. likemike

likemike Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Great sale! And despite what some might say I think it's a very good price.

15. Exposer

Exposer Established Member

Unexpected world this domain names trading. After SEDO, Alter i placed my domain ebonygangbang.net at BROKER.XXX and after 2 days i got an offer of 3999$. So, whats the point ? The market in domain trading is at one point unpredictable except 3L and 4L...but you never know. What i learned also is the fact that you need time and strong nerves in domain trading. If you are in pressure of fast money DO NOT START THIS BUSINESS !

16. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

I guess u are victim of Dan's general reputation whereby there are there more nonpayers than elsewhere.

17. ReallyBigIdea.com

ReallyBigIdea.com Established Member

received an offer $125 for Blocks1.com to sell or not? maybe someone from block.one ?

18. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

I like .one... do u know what they paid this domain?

19. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

well no. if buyer makes first offer 50k..and seller accepts then it's only good price for buyer.

20. MyDomgard

MyDomgard Upgraded Member Blue Account

fine! don't you think you worked a lot and earned little for it?
    50k is little for iBlock ... com
    Regards!

21. Digitman

Digitman New Member

22. Deven Patel

Deven Patel Founder, Alter.com Blue Account

Congrats on the sale! $50k was a great return. No need to regret it.

The internet is very biased towards exceptions. We only hear about the 1% of success stories where the seller generated 1000X ROI. Because of that, we automatically start to think anything less is a failure or not enough.

Humans are super vulnerable to unrealistic optimism. Sure, there was a small chance you could've made more but there was a larger probability you could've ended up with nothing. Here's why:
    • Buyers are often fickle. If you give them too much time to think or try to over-negotiate, you risk losing the sale altogether.
    • The domain was idle for over 20 years before you purchased it. There was no guarantee how long it would've taken for another serious buyer to come along.
    • It was a very good price considering the comparables. In fact, most appraisers would've priced it less than $50k.
    • The domain market is very supply heavy with nowhere near as much demand (20+ million inventory vs 1-2% average STR). There are countless other names with the keyword "block" available in the $2-3k range.
    • The name has a number of registered trademarks in various categories like computers, hardware, software, education, vehicles, construction, etc. These would generally be a showstopper for buyers looking to spend five figures on a name.
    • The "i" prefix devalues the name a bit because most people automatically associate it with Apple.
    My point is.. a lot more could've gone wrong than right so you should appreciate it. It's a huge win! :)

P.S. I can't help but think that you would've benefited more by assigning a BIN price to the domain. More about the buyer mindset here if you're curious.

23. jim h

jim h Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

It's really a great name.Fake offers are always annoying.
    I think we have to set the price carefully. A lot of times we are controlled by emotions.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice