Dynadot

poll I was offered 30K twice and turned it down

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Have you exaggerated your offers to get a higher sale price?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Hell yes, I do it all the time

• Heck no, I am an angel in the business

• Yes if the person asking was a dork

• Seriously, never

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I was offered 30K twice and turned it down

I heard that so many times I'm starting to get sick of it. Then you check after a few months and the domain sells for a couple thousand bucks or even as low as a couple hundred.

I always say the same thing....

I purchase every domain I have because it has potential for me to develop. If you want it you have to offer me an amount that is larger than my envisioned potential use for the domain.

Still has a ring of BS but it is at least straight forward.

So what is your answer to the poll?

Also what is your favorite line?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was offered 25k for a domain within a couple of weeks of registering it, it was a phone call the guy asked if I would be interesting in selling.
I answered what are you offering? (guy) How about hmm twenty five thousand?
I answered don't you think that's a bit high?
(guy) Well (he kind of chuckled) how about ten thousand?
I answered no thanks, and I hung up.
The site actually made me a lot more than that 25k offer and I still have it. :)
Anyone that knows me knows what the domain name was and is.

I too buy to develop however that does not always go as planned so if I sell you are normally going to get a good deal. I was asked why I sold so cheap my answer because that's me.
Why not let someone have a domain if you are not going to do anything with it for whatever reason.

There is far too much greed already. I have also been offered domains on here for insane prices which will not sell to anyone and especially when I already have better names.

That does not mean I would never sell a costly domain name, but normally there is a reason someone has to keep it. Like the domain I never sold for 25k if all you are doing is trying to sell to businesses, think about the damage that actually does to some person with no money and a great idea..
Do you seriously want businesses with no clue, to own everything to the point you are told what is what by them? Oh no yeah it's already happened. For change to happen for the benefit of all it takes all to put in the effort all I can do is my best and that takes effort.

Yes I know I'm very real or deep or crazy but hey that's my opinion. Peace :)

Last edited:
•••
.... .

Last edited:
•••
Situations change OP and it's not like offers are open ended where you can go back to the person and accept the offer.

Last Summer I was in the process of trying to close a 30k deal, it looked like it was all but wrapped up, I had an agreement signed and all. During this time I got an offer for 22k on another domain, I countered but they weren't willing to improve. It was a niche killer name.

The 30k deal fell apart when the company pulled the plug at the last minute and then sales dried up on me over the following months.

I ended up liquidating the domain I got a 22k offer on for 5k on the reseller market 4-5 months later. Before I did I went back to the person who tabled the offer and got no response.

FYI, there was no lying on my behalf, I even gave the buyer all the leads and the details of the person who tabled the offer. So my story is easy to check out and fully transparent. Moral of the story, take the money while it's on the table unless you can afford to play the long hold.

•••
I purchase every domain I have because it has potential for me to develop.

This was a criteria I set for myself from day 1, I haven't always stuck to it but, it helps me avoid buying stuff that I'm on the fence about and helps to silence the 'fear of missing out'. So I don't think it even necessarily has a ring of BS, I think it's totally valid.

If it's not something I'd consider developing and building a site on, I can't really expect anyone else to.

•••
Yup..don't say that to the seller.. cuz he might be sensitive and never sell it to you for any freaking price.. hint hint!

It was his mistake and loss. I don't think your bid was as much a factor as timing.

P.s. bit of advice don't insult the seller with a "good luck with that" comment unless you are no longer interested at any price. Sellers can be very sensitive:)

•••
Situations change OP and it's not like offers are open ended where you can go back to the person and accept the offer.

Last Summer I was in the process of trying to close a 30k deal, it looked like it was all but wrapped up, I had an agreement signed and all. During this time I got an offer for 22k on another domain, I countered but they weren't willing to improve. It was a niche killer name.

The 30k deal fell apart when the company pulled the plug at the last minute and then sales dried up on me over the following months.

I ended up liquidating the domain I got a 22k offer on for 5k on the reseller market 4-5 months later. Before I did I went back to the person who tabled the offer and got no response.

FYI, there was no lying on my behalf, I even gave the buyer all the leads and the details of the person who tabled the offer. So my story is easy to check out and fully transparent. Moral of the story, take the money while it's on the table unless you can afford to play the long hold.
Many flakey buyers out there. No offer is a real one until the buyer can actually produce the cash.

•••
I was offered 30K twice and turned it down

I heard that so many times I'm starting to get sick of it. Then you check after a few months and the domain sells for a couple thousand bucks or even as low as a couple hundred.

I always say the same thing....

I purchase every domain I have because it has potential for me to develop. If you want it you have to offer me an amount that is larger than my envisioned potential use for the domain.

Still has a ring of BS but it is at least straight forward.

So what is your answer to the poll?

Also what is your favorite line?

I have only inflated the price one time in 15 years and it was because of this line:

"I want to buy this domain for a school project. I am just a student. Can you cut me a deal? $25 OK?"

and after saying no thank you about 1/2 dozen times to that same person in one evening.

•••
•••
Don't forget to add what your favorite response to the potential client is?

When I am getting resistance from a buyer regarding the price, one of my favorite lines is, "I guess I want to keep it more than you want to own it."

•••
Hmm not saying I have done this....but something I just realised now.

IF you received an appraisal scam email for the domain ...let say it's the usual blah blah blah and the mail says that their client is willing to pay $30 000 for ur domain subject to an appraisal being done at xyz12345blah.com... if u tell them to take a hike or ignore the email... then technically you have been offered $30k for ur domain and u've turned it down.... lol - Again, not saying I would do that but I just had a good laugh now at realizing their is "grey area" or "loop-hole" cos u technically wont be lying... (yes it's still bullsh*t)

Last edited:
•••
Dont mean to hijack the topic but my funny story was that I tried to buy a domain from a fashion house who wasn't using it. Offered xxx. Reached out every 3 months or so - the last call was:"we just didn't renew it"...The let it drop. Now someone (probably on NP) is offering it at XX,XXX :)

It was for a specific project, given that it is dead - the domain was (and is) cresco_com :)

•••
theres so many liars in this business.
So many, I tell you. I used to have respect for some until they showed their real colour.

•••
Fave response to potential client: "Make me a believer, because right now you're also probably sitting on a beach in Kansas right?"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back