IT.COM

domains “I understand you want more but GoDaddy says .us is a top 5 extension. I can get that for $10”

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
What are the top 5 domain extensions? So I had an offer on a .com name that came through my email. The person told me they were very interested but were not going to get “suckered into overpaying” I wrote back “I have no desire to sucker anyone into anything, I own the registration rights […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Com Net Org .US and .IO? My top-5 B-)

Last edited:
•••
We need to make a video "The downside and serious risks of buying non dot com domain names"

People need to be educated on this topic. They need to know what happened to Overture when they tried a non .com they need to know of the many startups that run to buy the dotcom sometimes at extremely higher prices if they got it early on. They need to know how others will view them especially potentially media etc, do people subconsciously not take a non .com as serious?

I believe people are destroying good ideas by going cheap on domains or buying non dot com extensions. But who will educate them on this? Someone trying to close a sale for any extension?

Wish I was able to produce a good video on this, I would add it to my parked pages. Actually if I had commitments from people in the community that they would promote such a video I'd go hire someone to make something professional with a quality voice over and graphics. People are destroying good capital and their time by not understanding the risks.

•••
Did they register the .us?
i think they did since @equity78 not receive a answer ( see they not reg. yet ) should you reg. the .us - i mean for a 2.49$ at DynaDot
Of course .us is top 5 extensions :xf.smile:(y)
Exact what i predicted a year , a year & half when GoDaddy acquire Neustar - that .us will rise
This promo from GoDaddy was only about .us ( not .com , not net org etc..)
They will do step by step & educate USA citizen ( or global ) that .us deserve a place among .com or .net etc..as one of greatest TLD
Why? Because is simple - names like bike.com or boat.com or hello.com etc.. are to expensive for entry level & middle business this type of buyers don't have millions or even hundreds of thousands to pay so they will look in direction of .us . One of example is Cows.com 125k ( cheap as com imo ) but maybe someone ( with a farm) want a cows.us & probably is for sale at xxxx USD ( actually is for sale at 5k & owned by me few month ago )
Idea is Godaddy will target this type of clients entry & middle level
I think they also release LL & NN .us ( i don't know if one character but possible ) soon as possible
I have a lot of inq. on .us via Uniregistry some of course will be a dead end some will sell :xf.wink:

Cheers

PS Maybe is a crazy idea but i think .com owners are afraid about the wave of .us :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
We need to make a video "The downside and serious risks of buying non dot com domain names"

People need to be educated on this topic. They need to know what happened to Overture when they tried a non .com they need to know of the many startups that run to buy the dotcom sometimes at extremely higher prices if they got it early on. They need to know how others will view them especially potentially media etc, do people subconsciously not take a non .com as serious?

I believe people are destroying good ideas by going cheap on domains or buying non dot com extensions. But who will educate them on this? Someone trying to close a sale for any extension?

Wish I was able to produce a good video on this, I would add it to my parked pages. Actually if I had commitments from people in the community that they would promote such a video I'd go hire someone to make something professional with a quality voice over and graphics. People are destroying good capital and their time by not understanding the risks.
What risk? That .com will not sell anymore ?

•••

That normally is the case. Potential buyers will compare whatever option they want to something inferior then never register it.

US might be a top (5) extension in usage in the US. You obviously have com/net/org.

After that most of the most popular extensions are ccTLD which are not used much in the US.

New extensions have basically no traction.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
have you asked them to check the godaddy appraisal tool? let them compare the .com vs the .us version

•••
That normally is the case. Potential buyers will compare whatever option they want to something inferior then never register it.

US might be a top (5) extension in usage in the US. You obviously have com/net/org.

After that most of the most popular extensions are ccTLD which are not used much in the US.

New extensions have basically no traction.

Brad

Brad you know what's interesting is when you look at the link on the YouTube video it was first published in 2019 and updated in 2021 and they no longer list the top 5 extensions, they go on a lot about new gtlds.

https://www.godaddy.com/garage/doma...nt_base_consideration&utm_content=yt-20190101

•••
when the buyer said that ,i will say :good luck for your business!

•••
It still amazes me how companies will not question spending six figures on an IT project or for attorneys fees or for advertising (Adwords, SEO services, directory listings) or business travel (off-site management conferences and private jet operating costs) but when it comes to selecting a domain name to promote their business their budgets are often under $100.

•••
i just had the owner of L.V.L.S.ca insist on a maximum of $20 and "immediate transfer" for the .com version from me because ".com sounds too similar to .ca and it might confuse people". the entitlement is one of the worst things about being in this industry

Last edited:
•••
It still amazes me how companies will not question spending six figures on an IT project or for attorneys fees or for advertising (Adwords, SEO services, directory listings) or business travel (off-site management conferences and private jet operating costs) but when it comes to selecting a domain name to promote their business their budgets are often under $100.

Yep. It's truly amazing. Agree totally. Still have not sold anything other than .com though.

•••
•••
The tube and other venues are full of crap when it comes to domains and investing tips. More than once I've had someone negotiating on a name refer to some clowns statements on the value of domains.

It blows my mind that a business will spend millions promoting a glass product with the name 'fracture' included. Why not a crystal glass shop using the name 'FractureVases.com' or a car company using the name 'FracturedAxle.com'.

How about that beanbag group that is spending enormous amounts of money to use a .co with a name that has nothing to do with the product when there are dozens of names available that would be easier for a customer to remember (see below-I have no connection to the names listed).

I've got no problem with other extension besides .com (I own quite a few) but using words in your domain name that has a negative connotation towards the product is flat out ignorant.

beanbagsuperstore.com
beanbagfun.com
beanbagfurniture.com
beanbaglounge.com
beanbagcrazy.com
ebeanbag.com

Last edited:
•••
Tell him , "offcourse I want you to register the .us and build business on it, so I can ask five figures when you come back five years later ".

•••
this thread gave my deja vu deja vu

•••

what you should have said is good names versus bad names, if you invest in non .com names, make sure that you’re investing in exact match keywords in valuable industries ...

I co own the GTLD,

https://easy.credit

~

https://easycredit.com is currently for sale @ $26,000,000 ... it has been for sale for quite a while now ^

I believe that the GTLD combination - easy.credit - looks better, is more efficient, and It is cost effective in one of the most valuable industries in the world, CREDIT

Furthermore to the point, search engines don’t rank one extension over the other ...

And I have said time and time again that you PRO .com investors should be supporting the GTLD investors as we are driving up the value of your .coms and the domain industry ten fold, yet all we get is drama from you guys, pushing your own agenda like a bank saying no to crypto ...

Who was it that bought https://voice.com for $35M ? Oh that’s right, it was https://block.one

•••
I believe that the GTLD combination - easy.credit - looks better, is more efficient, and It is cost effective in one of the most valuable industries in the world, CREDIT

Furthermore to the point, search engines don’t rank one extension over the other ...

And I have said time and time again that you PRO .com investors should be supporting the GTLD investors as we are driving up the value of your .coms and the domain industry ten fold, yet all we get is drama from you guys, pushing your own agenda like a bank saying no to crypto ...

So if both easy.credit and easycredit.com were listed at 26M, which one would you buy?

It's not a matter of being pro or against a certain tld, it's backed by data.

Owning the .com will always give you an advantage (us, globally). An advantage that usually is worth spending the extra dollars on when building a brand.

I don't see nTLD owners pricing their names up to the level of .com. why is that? Because for the moment, they are considered to be inferior options and priced accordingly. No agenda, facts.

•••
So if both easy.credit and easycredit.com were listed at 26M, which one would you buy?

Owning the .com will always give you an advantage (us, globally). An advantage that usually is worth spending the extra dollars on when building a brand.

I don't see nTLD owners pricing their names up to the level of .com. why is that? Because for the moment, they are considered to be inferior options and priced accordingly. No agenda, facts.

So if I cant sell an alternative domain for the same as a high priced .com domain I shouldn't bother getting out of bed in the morning?

•••

easy.credit is not $26M ... it’s a fairly priced name for someone looking for a universal brand in one of the worlds most valuable industries, and if I happened to be a billionaire, I would most certainly go for the GTLD ^ don’t even need to state why, if you’re that far behind, I feel bad for you,

Ask yourself why Shopify would buy shop.app for $200K versus shopapp.com or shop.com ^ they can afford it, their stock went up 300% in a matter of 9 months

The only reason why .com is king is because of time, a considerable amount of time, 25 years to the average consumer and thus you have a product that has been marketed and branded all over the world ten times over ^ “however” what you and many others don’t recognize is simple math, you have 2B sites online, less then 400M of which are active ... 360M domains in circulation according to ICANN, and you propose that we limit the market to just .com

Even Verisign whom owns .com would not make such a ridiculous statement, shit while they were telling you to invest in .com as well as everyone else, they were investing in .tv and .web ^ They paid $100M for ownership of .tv in the year 2000 ... look at what is happening with .web, they secretly bid $165M through another party and have admitted to the fact that the internet is overpopulated and that they are running out of .com domains to sell ... So then what, what happens then ? How do you keep a market valuable when it’s just investors trading names ? You can’t ^ look what happened with fish.com and bird.com “fake bids” ... cats.com is still for sale, didn’t even hit the reserve of $500K at ROTD ... meanwhile petsmart owns dogs.com lol

~

And now we have 1,500 extensions at $185K a pop, (not including private auctions), you can say the investment in GTLDs has already gained a billion dollar market valuation ^ Meanwhile while you and me are debating, DeFi has achieved a $100B market valuation in a year ;) and look at the domains that they are using

https://polkadot.network

https://uniswap.io

https://yearn.finance

https://chain.link

The world is moving fast >>> if you’re gonna invest, don’t put all your eggs in one basket

.com will remain king, that is undisputed ! But exact match keyword GTLDs in valuable industries should not be overlooked

Last edited:
•••
Unless they've been living under a rock or have no business sense, they are not going to seriously consider using a .us for their startup. If they are, they likely don't have the awareness or business acumen to realize/pay for what your domain is really worth.

So, in my personal opinion, it is either an "unaware (and out-of-touch) buyer", as described above, or someone that is trying to lowball the domain by comparing inferior domains in their negotiation strategy. Both seem to be equally as common, but just deal with them the same, like they are both someone lowballing you.

Here is the only way I would reply to any similar inquiry. By using the template below it will swing the power back to your side in the negotiations and will firmly set your anchor price. Within days you'll find out if it's a lowballer or not.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fixed-price-strategy.1234815/#post-8232977

The other type of buyer, the unaware (and out-of-touch) buyer is not going to buy anything 99% of the time anyway. I've never sold to one of those in 17 years.

Last edited:
•••
Just for point of reference in an unrelated field, here is the difference in the payout for first and fifth place in the 2020 Indy 500... if that guy wants to be fifth, his results will be even worse.
upload_2021-6-18_21-18-38.jpeg

•••
Just for point of reference in an unrelated field, here is the difference in the payout for first and fifth place in the 2020 Indy 500... if that guy wants to be fifth, his results will be even worse.
Show attachment 193312

This would make sense if one extension ranked higher then the other ... But they don’t

•••
Back