IT.COM

advice I need advice on a potential sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yaseeny15

Established Member
Impact
Dear NP community I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at my scenario and let me know if it is a legit deal or a scam.
So yesterday I got the following email from a broker:
>Hello!

I represent an investor who is going to buy TutorLancing.com for a new online project.

The buyer is a professional investor. Your domain will be used as a part of his online project.

I located your contact information in a domain name whois lookup and understand that you own the domain name.

Are you still interested in selling?

Are you a beginner or an experienced seller?

I help my clients to buy and sell intellectual properties.

If you have more names I can help you to sell them.

Best Regards,

Sarah Levandovsky

Intellectual Property Lawyer

CMS

Steinenvorstadt 12

CH-4051 Basel

Switzerland<

I then replied asking for more information etc. and got the next email as follows:
>The buyer is an investor from Belgium. He is also interested in .com and .net extensions.

Our commission is only 5%. You will pay it after you get the money in full from my buyer. In order to earn a better commission I will do my best to sell your domain at the highest price possible.

My buyer invests money in web projects. He buys 5-15 domains for each project to get the maximum traffic possible. After that he sells developed web sites and make a good profit.

The buyer will pay you the appraised value. He needs an independent expertise because you and me are interested in a high sale price and my buyer does not want to overpay.

Based on my experience, I think your name is in $15,000 - $20,000 range.

Do you have a certificate of the appraised value from an independent authority (not your broker or auction site)?

If you don't have it's not a problem. You can order it online. I will suggest the best source when we can get a good valuation.

The certificate will increase the value of your domain. It's a must do if you wish to sell your domain to a professional investor with a good budget.

The certificate must include only 2 things to be accepted by my buyer:

1. Independent valuation of the market price. Only manual valuation is accepted. No valuations generated by scripts.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.

You can read about the recommended certification agency at Google Answers: http://answersgoogle.org/answers/threadview/id/59703614.htm (β€œDomain Broker” is my nickname there).

The process is very easy and will take only two minutes of your time:

1. Go to the certificate agency site and submit your domain for the certification. Please let them know you have a buyer with $XX,XXX offer.It will help you to get a better valuation. In the comment field please ask them to guarantee that the appraised value will be higher than the appraisal service fee. In this case you will not risk to pay and get a low appraisal. I suggest you this company because they protect you as the seller from getting a low appraised value. They will send you the payment instruction only if your domain is worth $1,000 or higher. Otherwise your request will be declined and you will not pay them anything. Other companies does not offer this option.

2. If your request will be approved, please pay them the fee and wait for 24 -48 hours. Then send me the results via email and we will start the sale process. As soon as he receives your certificate, he will buy your domain via an escrow service. Any escrow service will be able to pay you via Paypal, Wire, Western Union or any other method you prefer.

He wants to ensure the safe delivery of the funds to you. Furthermore, since this is our first time conducting any business, I believe that using a third-party escrow service can provide a safe, well defined sale process.

If you are new to certifications or domain sales, I can send you step by step instructions. I will also help you during the whole sale process. You will be able to contact me at any time.<

I am worried about paying $189 for an appraisal certificate and then what happens if the buyer (lets assume his real) decides not to buy my domain.
The domain in question is TutorLancing.com
Any advice would be helpful
Thank you

cleardot.gif

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This looks like a typical domain appraisal scam.

"I will suggest the best source when we can get a good valuation."

So, they're going to send you a link to a phony domain appraisal site, you're going to get a bogus certificate, and that will be the end of this transaction.

Last edited:
•••
SCAM
no one will be buying your domain.....
its all about selling you a $189 worthless appraisal.... DO NOT DO THIS!
GOT it? Done-

Last edited:
•••
If someone contacts you for a domain, they already have a perceived value, or what they are willing to pay. Asking seller to appraise their own domain just before a sale only increases likelihood of no sale, when you think about it.

•••
Thank you so much. I now know not to go ahead with this scam!! Thanks for saving me the money

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back