Dynadot

status-duplicate I like Rob, But Epik staff have skewed ALL POLLS!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ja Kai

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seriously, NP has become a useless barometer. The polls mean NOTHING.

Hi

anyone who uses them as a barometer for anything,
prolly are same folks who rely on automated appraisals.

imo...

•••
This surely will be the case...

(y)(y)(y)

Good news we can actually look in and see.

Now if we want to compare an internet poll to democratic elections the candidate and the staff on the committee to elect a candidate have just as much a right to vote as anyone else. But let's look at how many of Epiks 42 votes (currently) actually are staff. Only 11, meaning there are 31 non Epik staff who voted. Which still puts them well ahead of #2 Dynadot with 11 votes (and I didnt check to see if any of those were Dynadot staff :xf.wink:)

But who cares about facts? Right?
20200304_103853.jpg

•••
Yes, the poll is suspect for obvious reasons.

It also only took 3 posts before we got the predictable self promoting Epik spam in the thread.

Cool poll -- Iwas not expecting it this early in 2020 but here we go.

For the folks who want to try Epik out, we have a $6.99 .COM transfer promo in effect:

https://www.epik.com/transfer

We'll keep that in place for as long as we can afford it. More about that here:

https://twitter.com/robmonster/status/1234968464428802048

If folks will be so kind as to use our SSL landers, escrow and marketplace, we'll not only provide renewals at cost with an endless list of free features, we'll even be able to do transfers below cost!

The results I trust are the ones where people speak with their wallet. Outside NamePros, Epik is a small company with very limited market awareness.

Brad

•••
So you’re a Sav fanboy now, huh Grilled. ;)

Samer

By fanboy do you mean:

giphy.gif

Being blindly attached to one registrar?

If that's what you're asking, than no.

You seem to be quite the fanboy of Epik.

And you might be failing to realize your comments are contributing to the recent forum nauseam by being, exactly that, a fanboy.

It's a shame, because it's seemingly devaluing the merit of accomplishments and progress that the people of Epik are actually making.

Fan on Samer, Fan on...

•••
Would you allow somebody that came over to your house to take a sh*t in the middle of your living room? Or would you consider that rude?

This also goes to my reply just now to Internet.Domains

You guys are knowingly playing these games/trolling.

One more time, it's very simple and I think you already know.

Nobody has an issue with participation.

People have issues with spamming, crossing the line with promotion in places you shouldn't.

You know this already since you had a month restriction and now a month from the poll thread.

You guys keep trying to make it something else. When it's just the over promotion.

So just stop that. Just simply go look where we have these type of threads, it's all over promotion. Nothing else.

You see that thread started yesterday from Brands.International leaving, what do you think that was about:

"I am fan of fairness and rules which are valid for everyone, and if this is not the case for longer period of time, it does not go well with me, and I vote with my feet."

I think everyone needs to stop "self-policing" this forum, themselves. We have moderators. They have a job to do, let them do it. Just as you say there is a team of people who take the promoting and roll with it there is also and equal and opposite team of people who push back and turn the thread into crap when all they had to do is click REPORT and sit back and watch.

1) There is a "report" link on every post. That is the discreet way to complain and that allows the moderators to police the thread. let them do their job. If you dont agree with their outcome then the issue is with them, not @Rob Monster

2) There is also an "ignore" link for everyone's profile. I used to ignore certain folks (not you JB) but then I found that I was missing some valuable advice in the domain side of conversations elsewhere. Why would I want to do that if I disagree with someone's view about over promotion or politics or 4L prices, etc. So I no longer use ignore. I guess it would have to be very very bad, a personal threat or something and thankfully that has never happened. But for others, ignore might be the difference between having a heart-attack or not. Its not worth it - let the mods decide, they have proven that they have done so and you've even mentioned it above.

Finally, there is the dislike feature. With all the dislike it certainly doesnt seem like dislike is used as much as the content of many posts would suggest.

OK, time for dinner on the east coast of USA. :)

•••
OMG - You just can't help yourself. STOP self-promoting in random threads.

I am making a new thread - "Epik updates from the CEO himself, Rob Monster"

That response wasn't selfpromotion. It was an acknowledgement of facts that I posted after a user posted some serious allegations.

I'm not afraid of reporting any inappropriate promotion, and have done so in the past, and quite recently, but this is definitely on topic, after being called out by someone else.

It's a pitty mods decided to delete some of my post in response to this user. He was attacking, I was providing facts. That info is lost.

•••
•••
Seriously, NP has become a useless barometer. The polls mean NOTHING.

First of all .. anyone who takes online polls seriously in any way needs a serious reality check. Not only are they open to tons of bias, but the vast majority of them aren't even created in a way where they couldn't be biased.

Beyond that .. the anger here against Epik employees it just ludicrous .. like beyond infantile. Seriously guys .. if you don't want employees to vote .. then put in the title and top of first post something like "Please No Staff/Employee Voting". It's that simple, if you want a poll where employees don't vote, then you need to start by ASKING for it! NamePros isn't going to go around babysitting each poll to check each vote and employee one by one. All you need to do is create an unbiased question and ask that employees don't vote, and then make the votes public just to be sure. All this further debate is just silly.

(Keep in mind that NamePros sometimes makes polls voteable in the sidebar, so some employees might still vote unless you put the requested restriction within the poll question.)

Beyond that .. YES .. Epik has saturated NamePros with their employees. The only thing which that should say is that Epik is smart and all the others have not taken advantage of a potentially valuable marketing tool.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If you want the TRUE ANSWER to what is the best of something, then DON'T DO A POLL! Simply start a discussion where people actually DISCUSS and DEBATE the topic so you can come to your own conclusion BASED ON FACTS (as opposed to other people's blind votes).

On top of all that .. a best registrar poll is ridiculous because the vast majority of us haven't actually tried all of the options. So how that hell can anyone know which is best. You should really limit the vote only to people who have actually used ALL the possible options within the last year .. so effectively all registrars should likely have ZERO votes. So as I said .. the poll is biased by default to those registrars with the most clients .. and beyond that to the registrar with the most active participants on NamePros!

I just can't believe how childish and silly this place is getting sometimes!

ADDED: Also don't make it so the only way people can see the results is if they vote .. by doing so you are actually forcing people to vote even if they are staff and even if they don't have a favourite. Why anyone would care about the poll in question based on how biased it was the moment it was created is just beyond me!?

Last edited:
•••
I started the poll Ategy, I did not say no employees which is why it was not there, others then mentioned they thought employees were a problem or did not like their votes counting.
No worries .. my posts weren't an attack on whoever started the poll (you .. lol). Just more that I think many are taking it way too seriously when the whole concept was flawed from the start. Even more importantly that people are making it seem like Epik is doing something bad simply by participating at NamePros.

As for the way you set it up technically .. I simply said that there are certain things that lead to bias .. but ultimately I really don't care about the votes because 99%+ of the people voting likely did not try ALL of the possible choices .. so don't be offended .. but the poll is utterly without context and effectively useless.

What does bother me is the constant unjustified attacks on @Rob Monster and @epik for non-reasons like this one. I'm not saying everyone should love Rob and/or Epik .. but blaming for them for participating in a public poll when nobody even asked staff not to vote is just ridiculous! :-/

•••
The Monster is temp banned from posting for a month.
He will be back. Trust me, this is not the first time.

Sounds like some serious nonsense. Seek help.

•••
I have 500+ at godaddy and pay for discount club. Are you saying I’m being ripped off @Joe Styler
I'm not ripping you off :) If you have an account rep with us in Premier services they can offer you additional discounts on things like the Domain Discount club. Just ask.

•••
The people who vote "this thread is stupid" are mostly the same.
I would vote "this thread is stupid" because it looks like a fun choice. Btw, this thread is stupid.

•••
And a dumb move. The thread died. The events seem highly correlated. Too bad for @equity78 because he started a good thread, and now it will wither on the vine. False start. Oh well.

Thread died, huh?

Is that because you said so?

Your ability to post in that thread died. So I can appreciate, as far as your concerned, that thread may be dead to you.

But to think the thread is dead, is one of the most naive statements I've read today; and that's saying something consider all the "stupid" talk.

Here's why I believe the thread isn't dead.

(1) The poll isn't expected to close until Mar 31, 2020 at 2:04 AM.

(2) The last comment was within the hour.

(3) Thread was only started yesterday.

(4) It's currently trending as the #2 popular this week thread

upload_2020-3-5_18-25-56.png

(5) The top two trending threads this month will expire soon, leaving room for new threads of the month, and with minimal momentum, we will see Domaining's version of March Madness trending all month.

upload_2020-3-5_18-26-50.png

You can try, but there doesn't appear to be route in place, that will stop the march MADNESS!

Last edited:
•••
You guys can stop picking on @Samer anytime now. From what I can see he hasn’t a mean bone in his body. His fanboyism is his perogative.

In what way does any of the nonsense complaints on this thread and many other threads (Always tied back to Epik and Rob) affect your life? Your ability to make a living or sell domains? Your well being? IT DOESN’T.

Focus on your own portfolio, stop tearing people down. And ignore who you want to ignore here. When did this place get so spiteful and so nitpicky? I cannot believe the same gang is ruining this forum by derogatory post after post about Epik. Epik isn’t ruining it— the spite directed at Epik is.

If you have real problems in your life posts on a forum are pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. So get over it and get back to things that matter in your life.

•••
So let me get this straight....

The problem is not actually the person who had (4) posts deleted and was banned from a thread for blatant self promotion, it is actually the people who complained about the self promotion.

Got it!

Brad

Brad, with all due respect, no - thats not exactly it. Its the manner, the tone, of the complaint posts.... I tell my kids this every day, all day long it seems :-/ Its not WHAT they say to each other while disagreeing; its HOW they are saying it - their TONE.

In a nutshell, Rob make a promotion posts, people almost immediately pounce on him and throw spears, they also click report obviously, the Rob posts that violate the rules ARE eventually removed but what remains is................. the hate posts against Rob. That is what I cant stand, not the people who reported the violating posts but the hatred that remains is what I cant stand. Those posts remain, the other posts that a few dont like are removed and this forum is not truly being cleaned up.

Whomever is reporting Rob's posts and having them removed is doing their job to keep the forum honorable. I appreciate that and I cant believe that others would not appreciate that either. I personally do not have a problem with it. I would not have a problem with it of Godaddy or Dynadot or any other company promoted themselves as heavily - I think it would be great. The competition that would result would spur innovation in services and products for us, the consumers. But its not that way, not yet, maybe not ever. So I appreciate how people dont like it, dont want to see it, report it, and want to keep the forum "clean".

And it is hatred because Ive seen many others violate the rules on this forum since April 2006 - despite what my current account states. Yet I have not seen the crowd-hate against them that I see for @Rob Monster and IMO there is much more here than meets the eye. Its more than self-promotion. Something else is bothering all these people to spend their precious time waiting and pouncing on Rob anywhere he appears. I cant imagine having that luxury of time, energy to constantly pick on, harp on, pounce on someone. We teach our children not to bully and yet what I see here is borderline bully behavior. Its school yard behavior.

What am I saying, people should just REPORT the post, IGNORE the user they dont like, and move along but the fact that cant is quite fascinating and leads me to believe there is much more to it than general disagreement. Its sad. Congrats to all, instead of keeping the forum clean of violating posts they've actually muddied it up with hate that the rest of us have to step around.

Remember, there are two sides to every coin and there ARE those here who cant stand the hate posts that are left behind. I am one. I just havent been vocal until recently and I promise - I am done. I will spend less time here. Its not worth it. My time is precious and unlike others, who maybe somehow figured out how to reclaim time, I have not yet. :) IMO

PS- I do want to thank those who have pounced on Epik and Rob because if it werent for them the threads wouldnt have been constantly popular and intriguing for me to investigate last Summer/Fall and if not for that I would never have found an amazing registrar with great services and fantastic support - the way it should be everywhere. We are bombarded with promotion everywhere where go these days. You cant visit a website nowadays without getting nag screens to sign up, blasting videos that start immediately, and so on. Do I like it? No, I just move on. I cant understand for the life of me how people here cant just move on. Its beyond logical which is why I refer to is as Rob Derangement Syndrome. People feel COMPELLED to attack instead of quietly reporting the post and even IGNORING Rob and others they dont care for. With that, I am done. Have fun y'all.

•••
No one has ever accused Rob of being a dummy. Look at all the free advertising he receives by bringing on all these "NP employees".

•••
I really think NamePros is shifting in the wrong direction. Allowing the "not advertising" post and the support staff being hidden, I hope they did it for security reason but this place is just not a community anymore.

•••
Sounds like some serious nonsense

in the big picture, I agree

and my post was not directed at, or to critique you either.

it's a general surmise of the possible results from any poll, when occurring within a controlled crowd that was exposed to marketing efforts, prior to and even coincidental to, the taking of the poll.

swing on!

:)

imo…..

•••
And on that note, I'm going to try and logoff for at least a few hours.

Couldn't log out properly without getting one last thing off my chest.

And yes, NP keeps growing:

163876_877736ed97603bc7536642948a6dd731.png

And why's that? Because it is becoming more useful to more people.

Thank you @JB Lions for being a longstanding top contributing member of namePros!

Truthfully, I'm not sure I would have lasted on the forum as long as I have, without you there, providing your thoughts, input, and insight to further discussion and balance on namePros.

I don't always agree with JB. I might have even felt put down, or offended by some of his comments. But that's not to say it wasn't warranted, or that I'm not appreciative of his content, agreeable or not, as it usually helps me progress a thought. And I appreciate him being here for that. I wish others could see the content without a bias lens.

When looking at the rise in namePros popularity, I can't help but notice the contributions JB has been providing.

People around here, myself included, are seemingly more prone to respond and contribute to divisive comments, without acknowledging the benefit of the other members. A lot of arguing the avatar, and not so much the content itself.

Similar to the recent discussion between @Samer and I, with his fanboy projection. If I were to follow my own advice, I'd be able to acknowledge his nP contribution, and see past any fanboyness. Though, due to excessive fanning, I can't think of any at the moment, but one day I will acknowledge him. @JB Lions. my apologies for any excessive or unsolicited fanning.

Last edited:
•••
People .. this thread is about polls .. again this is a perfect example of how all the anti-Rob and anti-Epik sentiment is just out of hand .. there's consistently far more off-topic posts complaining about Rob than the actual posts some of you don't want to see.

If you think his posting is not appropriate you have 2 very good options ...

1- Report it
2- Post what I'm sure is a dozen other threads dedicated to the subject or start a NEW discussion.

Please STOP posting off-topic complaints .. the OFF-TOPIC complaints are ruining NamePros far more than anything else.

"This is stupid" lol

So let me get this straight....

The problem is not actually the person who had (4) posts deleted and was banned from a thread for blatant self promotion, it is actually the people who complained about the self promotion.

Got it!

Brad

•••
I remain hopeful that someday Johnn and I will be friends. I hold the same hope for Frank-Germany and JB Lions who are routinely antagonistic. here on NP.

All I ask in return is for a balanced narrative.

NamePros is a close knit community and it's disappointing to always read about so much negativity and hostility amongst some of the members here.

As a community we should try to help Rob and try to save him rather than try to tear him apart.

Rob has many good characteristics which some of us have come to know through our interactions with him as the CEO of Epik. He has gone out of his way on many occasions to help domainers both personally and through the many useful and innovative services that he has implemented through Epik.

But, as a human being he might have his own weaknesses like any other person and I believe that it's our duty as a community to help him overcome those weaknesses in a more positive and constructive way.

We all have to admit that Rob has done a great job with Epik and his derive as an entrepreneur in coming up with new ideas and projects has given new hopes to many domainers.

But if some people here think that Rob is a Monster because of succumbing to greed and racism, then he is our Monster and it is our responsibility as a community to save him and not to destroy him.

You all have tried everything else, maybe it's time to try the friendship route specially now that Rob has reached out to you all in a positive way.

He might listen to you all if you were to give him some advice as a friend rather than if you always come across as people who want to hurt him personally and professionally.

IMO

•••
I am unaware, but it wouldn't make a difference or sway my opinion. I find his engagement to be positive to this forum and to the industry as a whole. Period. Nothing posted by anyone in all the threads over the last year has even slightly changed my positive view of him and his work.

That's a fair point that some who don't like Rob need to understand, not everyone is against him talking about his services and his company and they never will be, and they are all not fanbois.

You have to abide by forum rules, but there are also a lot of rules that people don't agree with. So people should try to ask the mods to change some of them or make amendments.

On top of that everytime someone mentions their own company is not self promotion. Hell I have seen people attacking Epik and then wondered why Rob used the Epik name in defense of the attack.

•••
I am a bit disappointed ... 55 hours and only 4,900+ views and 170+ replies. From Name to Pros, the prime-time soap has bubbled up again and R.M. rank among the longest running shows in the history of NPs drama. (y)

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back