IT.COM

I honestly hate domaining now

NameSilo
Watch

jasoncs10

Established Member
Impact
I honestly see this as as stupid way to make money for 98-99% of people

a better idea that involves a small amount of capital would be something like buying cryptocurrency, which i dont even think is the best idea at this moment

ill just stick with the domains i have now and be patient. i often dislike the way things are going in the world today

the greatest way to make money imo is something that involves a tiny amount of capital that explodes into millions. i happen to be related to someone who did something like this decades and decades ago back in the late 60s. if he can do it with zero formal education (no high school) back then, im sure it could be done again today.

let this thread be a thread of encouragement for those who are trying to get money

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hmmm.

I "knew" someone who use to sell Bootleg DVD's in my neighborhood. this guy had a sweet deal.

The neighborhood Chinese DVD peddler was selling a bootleg DVD for $5 each.

a Bootleg dvd is of a movie that's still in theaters. Movies being now $15 each with popcorn and hot dogs and sodas (since you can't bring in your own food).

you are talking about a $50 proposition.

So these Chinese DVD peddlers provide a cheaper option for a Saturday night.

I thought this guy bought from some wholesaler just like the Chinese.

He told me that Wholesale. You would need to buy 200 pieces of these bootlegs. at a wholesale of $2 each.

So the profit for the Chinese would be just $3 each.

he did not have this money. so he went to staples bought a 100 pack of DVD's. The cost of each dvd came out to about 20 cents each.

and started "lowballing" the Chinese DVD peddlers price.

HE SOLD Bootlegs for $10 but he figured out how to put 5 movies on the DVD.

so for $10 he was giving people 5 movies!

who wouldn't buy that?

see he was downloading movies from torrents. and he searched for movie files that were less than 700 mb's

well a DVD is 4.7 gigs.
therefore you could fit 5 movies on 1 dvd.

Crazy!!

needless to say. he went from BROKE to driving a BMW. lol

he'd burn DVD's on a 5 dvd burner tower.

with a Master file dvd

and walk out with 200 DVD's and just "go for a walk" and go to barbershops.

and sell all 200 dvd's

$200 x $10 each?

who do you know makes $2000 a day? with no job?

lol. I'm sure he quit by now. this was years ago though.

Haven't seen him in years.

Of course he had to have a legit job. actually forgot his name already.

This is of course illegal as all hell and he could have gone to jail. But hey at least it wasn't drugs he was selling not justifying. it was risky for sure.

I also know people who make money on Etsy from stuff they make.

I remember one girl. what she does is go to Thrift shops or drive around the neighborhood in "nice" neighborhoods looking for thrown out furniture. takes it home and paints it some crazy color like Canary yellow or seafoam green. then list it on Etsy for $500.

and would you believe. people buy her stuff?

•••
hmmm.

I "knew" someone who use to sell Bootleg DVD's in my neighborhood. this guy had a sweet deal.

The neighborhood Chinese DVD peddler was selling a bootleg DVD for $5 each.

a Bootleg dvd is of a movie that's still in theaters. Movies being now $15 each with popcorn and hot dogs and sodas (since you can't bring in your own food).

you are talking about a $50 proposition.

So these Chinese DVD peddlers provide a cheaper option for a Saturday night.

I thought this guy bought from some wholesaler just like the Chinese.

He told me that Wholesale. You would need to buy 200 pieces of these bootlegs. at a wholesale of $2 each.

So the profit for the Chinese would be just $3 each.

he did not have this money. so he went to staples bought a 100 pack of DVD's. The cost of each dvd came out to about 20 cents each.

and started "lowballing" the Chinese DVD peddlers price.

HE SOLD Bootlegs for $10 but he figured out how to put 5 movies on the DVD.

so for $10 he was giving people 5 movies!

who wouldn't buy that?

see he was downloading movies from torrents. and he searched for movie files that were less than 700 mb's

well a DVD is 4.7 gigs.
therefore you could fit 5 movies on 1 dvd.

Crazy!!

needless to say. he went from BROKE to driving a BMW. lol

he'd burn DVD's on a 5 dvd burner tower.

with a Master file dvd

and walk out with 200 DVD's and just "go for a walk" and go to barbershops.

and sell all 200 dvd's

$200 x $10 each?

who do you know makes $2000 a day? with no job?

lol. I'm sure he quit by now. this was years ago though.

Haven't seen him in years.

Of course he had to have a legit job. actually forgot his name already.

This is of course illegal as all hell and he could have gone to jail. But hey at least it wasn't drugs he was selling not justifying. it was risky for sure.

I also know people who make money on Etsy from stuff they make.

I remember one girl. what she does is go to Thrift shops or drive around the neighborhood in "nice" neighborhoods looking for thrown out furniture. takes it home and paints it some crazy color like Canary yellow or seafoam green. then list it on Etsy for $500.

and would you believe. people buy her stuff?

first guy doesnt count
illegal/unethical stuff is stuff i would never do

second woman is pretty clever, but you need a big car probably and i wouldnt want to look weird taking furniture. then again i wouldnt care, as long as its legal

•••
first guy doesnt count
illegal/unethical stuff is stuff i would never do

second woman is pretty clever, but you need a big car probably and i wouldnt want to look weird taking furniture. then again i wouldnt care, as long as its legal

I wasn't "suggesting" it. lol just implying that if you are "hungry" or hard up. you will come up of something to survive.

"Necessity is the mother of all invention."

•••
I wasn't "suggesting" it. lol just implying that if you are "hungry" or hard up. you will come up of something to survive.

"Necessity is the mother of all invention."

i both disagree and agree with that statement

a lot of people in this world have stumbled upon large amounts of money simply by accident or coincidence (and im not talking about winning the lottery)

•••
I know a lady here in Jersey City. who goes to Chinatown NYC for office people in Jersey City. They text here what they want her to get for them. she brings her shopping cart. and comes back with porkbuns or lo mien or whatever.

she's have about 50 items in the cart and then comes back.

each item they tip her $1-$2.

she does this about 2-3 times a day.

people love Chinatown food. but they don't want to go while they are working lunch.

It's more a "Chinese connection" as she only speaks Chinese.

lol cute lady though.

•••

a lot of people in this world have stumbled upon large amounts of money simply by accident or coincidence (and im not talking about winning the lottery)

lol you said it buddy! I bought Ripple XRP at .00002 cents!

waitin on XRP $1 end of this year.

sssssshhh!!!:xf.wink:(y)

Last edited:
•••

all I can say is this.

DO YOU. don't focus on what "the other guy" is doing.

dwelling on how "successful" the other guy makes you just eat your guts out.
it makes you bitter.

it makes you ask God "Why that guy God?"

and all this other stuff.

DO YOU bro. DO You.

if you measure your success by others you will always lose because there will always be someone better.

Thee other day. I wanted to use Warren Buffet for an article I was writing. I forgot his name. and I wanted to use him as an example of a "rich guy".

So I google. The Richest Fund manager.

and wouldn't you know it? It wasn't Warren Buffet with his Berkshire Hathaway?

It was George Soros? That bastard! hate that guy!

•••
I know a lady here in Jersey City. who goes to Chinatown NYC for office people in Jersey City. They text here what they want her to get for them. she brings her shopping cart. and comes back with porkbuns or lo mien or whatever.

she's have about 50 items in the cart and then comes back.

each item they tip her $1-$2.

she does this about 2-3 times a day.

people love Chinatown food. but they don't want to go while they are working lunch.

It's more a "Chinese connection" as she only speaks Chinese.

lol cute lady though.

clever as a lot of chinese dishes are delicious, healthy, and compact

good idea. not a very scalable idea if shes just doing it by herself, but nonetheless a clever idea

my grandfather back in taiwan in the 1950s was a peasant class factory worker. one day, a friend of his told him that all television antennas in taiwan were imported from japan. not a single antenna was manufactured in taiwan.

the next day, he went out with a pencil and paper and sketched a television antenna (which shouldve been easy to do), and bought some aluminum or whatever and crafted one. he sold it, and then made more and sold more. soon enough, he had a very large factory. then he transitioned into manifacturing christmas light to be exported to USA.

at his peak he had thousands and thousands of formal and informal employees and employed 10% of the city's adult working force. future competition from other taiwanese companies looking to mimic him shut him down, but he had already made the equivalent of today's well paid heart surgeon for a while so it didnt matter too much.

he hasnt worked since the 1980s and was always a very generous man. i use this story as an example of encouragement to myself and others because his inital starting capital was essentially a pack of cigarettes.

•••
all I can say is this.

DO YOU. don't focus on what "the other guy" is doing.

dwelling on how "successful" the other guy makes you just eat your guts out.
it makes you bitter.

it makes you ask God "Why that guy God?"

and all this other stuff.

DO YOU bro. DO You.

if you measure your success by others you will always lose because there will always be someone better.

Thee other day. I wanted to use Warren Buffet for an article I was writing. I forgot his name. and I wanted to use him as an example of a "rich guy".

So I google. The Richest Fund manager.

and wouldn't you know it? It wasn't Warren Buffet with his Berkshire Hathaway?

It was George Soros? That bastard! hate that guy!

i know all about trading

george soros is infamous for making his fund like 1.5 billion in one day in a matter of hours

warren buffett made the bulk of his money from a really long time ago. if he were to trade aggressively today, hed probably get killed by savvier investors. you have to remember that this is the same guy that neglected to buy any stocks during the dot com boom which was a huge blunder. however, he did smart moves back then buying coca cola and other solid companies in large amounts. youre comparing apples to oranges when looking at the two

reaearch richard dennis and jesse livermore for more exciting profiles

•••
Sometimes I feel the same way. lol

•••
When ya make a domain sale you can roll a portion of the profits into buying better domains, investments or building websites. Since 2003 I've rolled quite a bit into projects and currently have over 40 websites that generate income. Took a lot of work to jump start them but now most on auto pilot earning while I'm sleeping or out doing other things. Lowest one makes like $20 a month and others make many hundreds a month but when ya multiply by 40+ it adds up into a nice monthly recurring income. This also allows me to be passive on domain sales and wait for the right offer as I don't need the money. So it's not I need a million dollar domain sale or a website that generates a million a month it's I need a website that generates a few hundred a month multiplied by 5,10,20,40+ websites.

My goal since 2003 was never make a big sale and let's go party it's always been where do I stick 50% of the earnings to continue to build my recurring profit machine. So when I retire no worries of outliving my investment proceeds or government benefits not existing then as I'll have my own recurring income stream. So my outlook since 2003 when I started was never about todays profits but more of a 20+ year picture of recurring profits slowly building greater each year which can happen from your own work or investing in other things. Diversification is the key as it allows you to weather the storm should one business sector temporarily grow cold or evaporate.

Your goal should be to increase income each year even if ya can only achieve a small increase, just keep it moving upward and fast forward 5,10,15,20 years and you'll end up where ya need to be. So I'm building based on the belief that social security won't exist, health care costs will be insane etc... I'm pretending things will be horrible then so if true I'll be okay. If not true then I'll have a lot of extra cash to go gamble and date ladies 30 years younger. :ROFL:

Can ya invest a little money and strike it rich=sure but I think a more realistic goal for the majority should be a slow increasing build into greatness.

Probably wouldn't go 98-99% but I'd agree a lot of domainers do lose money in their domaining experiment and might be better off investing in other areas. Personally it's the only investment where I've taken $8 and made xxx-xxxx on a consistent enough basis to be 14 years in the game.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with OP , domaining is saturated in 2017. Yes, you still can make money, if you have the knowledge, but if you don't, you'll need let's say 3 years to acquire it. Limited capital ? that's another obstacle.

At any rate the opportunity with domains was several years ago. Today you need to work *hard* to make money. If you are prepared to work hard, you can make money in any industry....so it doesn't fit the definition of "opportunity".

•••
I believe that .coms are a store of wealth in these uncertain times. There is an overhead in owning names, and this can be covered by advertising and sponsor revenue, and the sale of lower valued names.

•••
I agree with OP , domaining is saturated in 2017. Yes, you still can make money, if you have the knowledge, but if you don't, you'll need let's say 3 years to acquire it. Limited capital ? that's another obstacle.

At any rate the opportunity with domains was several years ago. Today you need to work *hard* to make money. If you are prepared to work hard, you can make money in any industry....so it doesn't fit the definition of "opportunity".

I'm probably going to get chewed out for saying this
But here goes.

Isn't it "enough" to reg a good domain. And....

1. Wait two years or more.
2. List on sedo or godaddy.
3. Pay for featured listings on Namebio and the market places? Even dnjournal?

.....to get a decent to a great price for it?

Rinse and repeat??

•••
They are just trying to talk you out of the industry so that they can pick up your names. :)

•••
I honestly see this as as stupid way to make money for 98-99% of people

a better idea that involves a small amount of capital would be something like buying cryptocurrency, which i dont even think is the best idea at this moment

ill just stick with the domains i have now and be patient

i know all about trading

It appears from your posts you know everything about trading and you think that a better idea than domaining would be buying cryptocurrency

BUY

You stick with with domaining ( the names you have ) even though you think it is a stupid way to (try) to make money..

Is this cognitive dissonance or am I missing something????? :xf.laugh:

•••
I too feel like its a love/hate relationship with domaining lol. Patience is always the key though, even at the lowest times I don't get a sale. I get a magic offer out of nowhere and go on to make a sale from there.

•••
Sometimes I feel the same way. lol
I too feel like its a love/hate relationship with domaining lol. Patience is always the key though, even at the lowest times I don't get a sale. I get a magic offer out of nowhere and go on to make a sale from there.

this is much like the salesman business and life in general

patience is key

•••
•••
•••
Money is simply a reward for solving a problem. If your names don't solve problems for end users, you won't make money. No amount of patience will change that. Back in the day, you could grab an EMD domain and literally without days, you could be on the front page on Google even for very competitive terms. That clearly solved a problem for end users as having that domain name saved them both time and money. Nowadays things are far more complex and the vast majority of domains don't help end users in that way at least from an seo perspective.

•••
Also, I think the omnibox is killing direct navigation. We need to get users away from Google.and into DuckDuckGo.com :)

•••
Come up with better domains.

•••
"How to make money with a domain name"

Build a website then direct your domain name to it.
Raffle off a donkey for 1 dollar each tickets.
Tell contestants draw is held when 10,000 tickets sold.
When winner is drawn tell them the donkey died and give them back their one dollar.
$9,999 dollars profit minus domain registration fee and a couple hours developer time. :xf.grin:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back