NameSilo

I hate Vistaprint !! Asking 24$ to transfer a domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gdndd

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

Have you ever had the Chance to work with Vistaprint about domain name and Hosting ... ? I don'T even understand how this company is able to make websites ...

I mean ... I have a client having a website + domain name hosted at Vistaprint. Want to transfer domain name to Godaddy ...

First: They say that there is no website on my client's account
Then (10 min later): There is a domain name but no website
Then (12 min later): There is indeed a website and a domain name
Then (15 min later): it's not possible to transfer a website to another hosting (Which is stupid first ... and I just want to transfer the domain, not a website)
Then (10 min later): I cannot change DNS of Current domain name
Then (20 min later): I cannot transfer this domain to another registrar
Then (10 min later): I have to pay 24$ to transfer this domain ... (as this is "Vistaprint property")

.... !!!!!

I spent more than 60 minutes on phone for that... t

Is it legal to ask for payment when transferring a domain to another registrar ?

I don't even know why people are spending money with this company ...

GOD !!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hope you get it figured out. Backup website if needed.
Sorry never heard of them but i got hosed once with free name to sign up for hosting.
Was this a free name/incentive for hosting?
If you want, pm or post the name and can do some research when i am home.

•••
No, not a free name for hosting. Just regular domain name and hosting ... But it's the first time that I have to pay just to get an Authorization code to transfer my domain ... Actually, I don't have any control on it ... whatever you want to do, you have to call and hope that you won't an incompetent on phone.

•••
Did you register the domain with them or the client did before they started talking to you? You can do a google search on this, plenty of people posting about their charge.

•••
Hi everyone,

Have you ever had the Chance to work with Vistaprint about domain name and Hosting ... ? I don'T even understand how this company is able to make websites ...

I mean ... I have a client having a website + domain name hosted at Vistaprint. Want to transfer domain name to Godaddy ...

First: They say that there is no website on my client's account
Then (10 min later): There is a domain name but no website
Then (12 min later): There is indeed a website and a domain name
Then (15 min later): it's not possible to transfer a website to another hosting (Which is stupid first ... and I just want to transfer the domain, not a website)
Then (10 min later): I cannot change DNS of Current domain name
Then (20 min later): I cannot transfer this domain to another registrar
Then (10 min later): I have to pay 24$ to transfer this domain ... (as this is "Vistaprint property")

.... !!!!!

I spent more than 60 minutes on phone for that... t

Is it legal to ask for payment when transferring a domain to another registrar ?

I don't even know why people are spending money with this company ...

GOD !!!
easy solution, file a complaint with icann, they will intervene

https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/transfer/form

•••
This is the company which won the .WEBS nGTLD for $1. I wonder if they are going to make the same mistakes with that launch?

•••
This is the company which won the .WEBS nGTLD for $1. I wonder if they are going to make the same mistakes with that launch?
They still had to pay the standard application fee of $185K

•••
They still had to pay the standard application fee of $185K

Yep. That's why the have to rip-off their customers, with making them pay for auth codes ;)

•••
Vistaprint should stick to printing business cards.

•••
Just curious, is the domain registered in their name or yours in the whois record ?

Obviously, their target customers are not domainers or power users. It's more small businesses.

Can they charge you to transfer out ? They can: FAQ for Domain-Name Holders
No point complaining to icann.

Next time read the terms carefully.
Always use a real registrar in the future.
Pay the fee and move on.
And don't use the same company for hosting. Keep hosting and domains separate.

Last edited:
•••
Just curious, is the domain registered in their name or yours in the whois record ?

Obviously, their target customers are not domainers or power users. It's more small businesses.

Can they charge you to transfer out ? They can: FAQ for Domain-Name Holders
No point complaining to icann.

Next time read the terms carefully.
Always use a real registrar in the future.
Pay the fee and move on.
And don't use the same company for hosting. Keep hosting and domains separate.

As this is "Vistaprint Property", Domain is registered with their name !

As i said, I'm doing it for a client ... She will have to pay this fee to get her domain. I just find it really frustrating to pay in order to get Auth codes....

Thank you all for your comments !

•••
OK. Did your client get some sort of domain+hosting package?

•••
•••
Not sure I can comment, you/your client needs to read the small print on any package deals. $24 isn't a lot if it wasn't technically your client's domain in the first place. You should be grateful they aren't charging $500 or something crazy like that.

It is perfectly legal for registrars to charge to transfer out or more specifically charge to unlock the domain. It's on ICANN's website.

•••
Not sure I can comment, you/your client needs to read the small print on any package deals. $24 isn't a lot if it wasn't technically your client's domain in the first place. You should be grateful they aren't charging $500 or something crazy like that.

It is perfectly legal for registrars to charge to transfer out or more specifically charge to unlock the domain. It's on ICANN's website.

Ho really ? ... Did not know that ...

•••
Yes ... But the idea was to cancel everything in the same time !
Seems like you're tryimg to take advantage of a business who loses money just to have you a customer hoping to make future prof
Yes ... But the idea was to cancel everything in the same time !
They were willing to initially lose money to have you as customer, hoping you'll continue as a regular customer. You were trying to take advantage of that by taking the low offer and cancel on them, letting them lose their money. Now I see how it happened. You both have your agenda. Do what profits you, forget about the other party.
I use to do that with register and netsol. Register a domain for $1, then transfer out. They gave me hard time. Their intention is to charge you $1 first year, then $34 the next year.
I don't do that anymore. It's not worth it. Always avoid the package with the free domain.

•••
Seems like you're tryimg to take advantage of a business who loses money just to have you a customer hoping to make future prof

They were willing to initially lose money to have you as customer, hoping you'll continue as a regular customer. You were trying to take advantage of that by taking the low offer and cancel on them, letting them lose their money. Now I see how it happened. You both have your agenda. Do what profits you, forget about the other party.
I use to do that with register and netsol. Register a domain for $1, then transfer out. They gave me hard time. Their intention is to charge you $1 first year, then $34 the next year.
I don't do that anymore. It's not worth it. Always avoid the package with the free domain.

Hum ... Not at all ... This domain was registered 5 years ago, no package by my client ... just a regular domain with hosting. That's it ! ... Now, my client wants to go with Godaddy ... she has a new domain and wants this old domain to redirect to her new website (she does not need anymore of current website on Vistaprint). So she asked me if I could take care of transferring her domain only from Vistaprint to Godaddy ...

I did not know that I would have to face, first, incompetent customer services agents, second, a fee on getting auth code... As it never happened to me before ...

•••
Hum ... Not at all ... This domain was registered 5 years ago, no package by my client ... just a regular domain with hosting. That's it ! ... Now, my client wants to go with Godaddy ... she has a new domain and wants this old domain to redirect to her new website (she does not need anymore of current website on Vistaprint). So she asked me if I could take care of transferring her domain only from Vistaprint to Godaddy ...

I did not know that I would have to face, first, incompetent customer services agents, second, a fee on getting auth code... As it never happened to me before ...

Thanks for sharing the experience. I have ordered signs from vistaprint, but never used the company for hosting. It must be really horrible.

•••

You've never ever encountered incompetent customer service agents before? Hard to believe. I encounter them every day.

•••
You've never ever encountered incompetent customer service agents before? Hard to believe. I encounter them every day.
hahaha ... Good one ! But this time, it was more than serious ... ! They keep telling me that there was no website or no domain name with this account while there was !!!

•••
hahaha ... Good one ! But this time, it was more than serious ... ! They keep telling me that there was no website or no domain name with this account while there was !!!

Perhaps they'd been given the wrong script for your situation :) That wouldn't necessarily make them incompetent :) Or maybe it was the correct script because they just wanted to get rid of you :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back