NameSilo

I dislike you! What’s your opinion?

Labeled as status-monitor in NamePros Comments and Feedback started by MapleDots, May 23, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

What should we use as a dislike button

1. Keep DISLIKE

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Use DOWNVOTE

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Change it to DISAGREE

22 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. Other - specify below

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
Total: 50 vote(s)
  1. Grilled

Grilled khjasdhkfdhdskfhhukdfshkj VIP

Where would this button be, on their profile page?

My issue with your thread title, not your thread, not you, but your title, is that it insinuates a dislike button means disliking you -- the person posting, rather than disliking the post itself.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2019 VIP

Good point, I must have been on cnn too long. Picking up their bad habits.

Ps. my previous post was in jest.

3. Grilled

Grilled khjasdhkfdhdskfhhukdfshkj VIP

I know.

It was also an opening to comment on the click matey title that drew me into this thread in the first place. Arghhh 🦜like a pirate

4. MapleDots

Haha..... So it worked. :xf.laugh:

Now to go and see if I can have the Donald can me fake news.

Life would be complete :ROFL:

5. karmaco

karmaco Top Member VIP

I have zero problems with dislike button-it’s easily understood as disliking the POST but would not be upset if it was changed to disagree to appease the sensitive.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. I would suggest that you change it to "You and your idiotic post make me physically ill". Lets go all in. We're all about being real, aren't we? So why be pansies. :xf.grin:

7. MapleDots

shutterstock_375815809.jpg

So I see namepros has removed downvote and reinstated dislike. I actually prefer dislike over downvote. Downvote just seemed a bit too generic and lost to me.

Seems like the clear winner of the poll so far is to keep the dislike terminology, and namepros has responded by changing it back.

Lets hope everyone is mature enough to handle it and not take it as a personal insult.

TO ALL NEW MEMBERS - and the odd old one

When you get a dislike it means the member dislikes your statement or post, it does not mean the member dislikes you. Use it as an opportunity to open dialogue and remember that trying to force your opinion is not what it is about. Accept that another member may not agree with your opinion and move on.

8. dande

dande UNNATURE.COM VIP

"Disagree" should be used. That's my vote

9. MapleDots

Almost forgot spite dislike

What is that?

That is when you dislike someone's post and then they follow you around for a week disliking every one of your posts because they feel slighted.

Really??
    If you do that please consider going outside and getting some fresh air.

for.jpg

10. Lol, I agree. Instead of spending that much effort, and looking kind of immature, if there is truly someone you do not want to see on the forum, just block them.

11. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

I vote we just give everyone a poo emoji if we don't like their post.

Oh, you made a sale, but can't disclose any details? :poop:

12. 4better

4better Established Domainer VIP

Would prefer a variety of options that would really represent what I feel. More choices, the better.

13. MapleDots

The easiest way to implement that would be with a new set of emoticons reserved for showing how you feel about the post.

Right now we have the blue namepros ones and the yellow ones. Remove on of those and add thumb up down, poo, etc and set it to one emoticon limit per post.

14. MapleDots

And the disagree has taken the lead!!

Picture0021.png

15. Support Team

Support Team Moderator, NamePros Moderator VIP

That is against the rules. If you notice it, please report it. We will take action and remove their ability to dislike if need be.

Thanks.

16. hookbox

hookbox Top Member VIP

Dislike and Disagree are two totally different things depending on what context they are used. If I said I liked blue cars you can't Disagree with me because that's MY true opinion but you can Dislike that I don't like blue cars.

When someone presses the Dislike button they do it and most of the time are done. If you change it to Disagree it will make more members want to say why they Disagree with what you are saying.

The Dislike button is sort of like slamming your fist. It releases a bit of frustration about something. The Disagree button will not have that same feeling. Switching it to Disagree will only increase the bullying attacks since most will add their opinion more freely which will lead to more heated discussions.

I think it is ridiculous that people can't handle a little confrontation. Having the conversation is fine but wanting to change it without really giving yourself time to think it through is ridiculous. Watch this subject for a month. Analyze the data. Don't just switch it right away. This is not how you implement correct change.

Just for the record I am not wanting to keel the Dislike button because it's something that I use. I never use it. Very rare. I want to keep it because it's the right thing to do.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  17. MapleDots

Still thinking about this and I have come to the conclusion that like and dislike are ok but the same way as we have a thank we should have a disagree. So adding a fourth option for something milder than dislike makes sense.

That is just my opinion, but if we cannot change it, how about adding it.

18. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator VIP

Are we really still debating this ? :xf.confused:

19. MapleDots

Change is leading in the polls but namepros has said officially they cannot change it because old dislikes wont make sense.

So the obvious is to add a milder term like disagree to the thank function we already have.

20. Even fb / twitter and All big social use like only,, so If you like my Post you click like button If you dont like you dont need to do anything and move on,, i beleive this is the true way

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  21. Paul Buonopane

Paul Buonopane CTO, NamePros CTO VIP

Over time, we've found that it's significantly more efficient to develop our own XenForo add-ons from scratch. With a few exceptions, most of the public add-on developers have no idea what they're doing, and we end up practically rewriting everything, especially if we find security issues.

22. equity78

equity78 Top Member βœ” TLDInvestors.com βœ” TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Then just upvote and downvote and keep it anonymous, so people can like what they like or dislike it without the reciprocal dislikes or likes.

23. james haw

james haw Top Member VIP

Dislike:
    I think most people use this as "I strongly don't like this" - spam, bad language, really bad advice, unsavoury, unfair/harassing post, etc.
    This already exists currently and has specific functionality (as some kind of counter to "like"). It's entirely different to "disagree".
    IMO Leave as is - "like" "dislike" as opposing pairs.

Disagree:
    This is simply "I don't agree with this"
    Opinions are subjective so this should not really be part of a count towards "like" or "dislike" as it's a different thing.
    Maybe just a very simple DB table that stores each user who dislikes a post. Then on the post it just shows, eg, "Disagree: user1, user2" (same way with the likes, dislikes, thanks).

There are often times I want to disagree with someone but don't use "dislike" because my contrary opinion is not enough to warrant countering their "likes".

24. Eric Lyon

Eric Lyon Member Services, NamePros Super Moderator PRO Gold Account VIP Trusted Contest Holder

Dislike counts are only used internally. Dislikes won’t subtract from their public likes counter. ;)

But negative Trade Reviews will subtract from their TradeReviews score.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: