Dynadot

I believe that this is a fraud attempt. Am I correct?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have a single dictionary word .info domain name, registered at DynaDot. This is the second time that I'm receiving this name:
========================================
Afternic Confirmation Needed (account myDynaDotUsername)

Dear (my name),

This email is in response to your request to enroll the domain name(s) below for sale on the Afternic secondary marketplace:

Afternic need-confirm domains: xxxxx.info

If you have requested this action via Afternic, you need to finalize the process by giving your permission for the for-sale listing by logging in and following these steps:

1. On the "Manage Domains" page, check the boxes next to the domain(s) requiring confirmation.
  2. From the "Bulk Action" drop down menu, choose the "Set Afternic" option.
  3. Select "Confirm Afternic" from the drop down list.
  4. Click on the "Save Settings" button.
Please note that by clicking on this link, you are pre-authorizing the sale and transfer of this domain name to the buyer should the buyer agree to pay your buy now price without further authorization from you. You also agree to opt out of the 60 day ownership change lock which would usually be applied after a sale has been completed.

If you did not initiate the listing process of this domain on Afternic, please disregard this email. If you have any questions or need further information, you can contact us at [email protected].

Best Regards,
Dynadot Support Team​
==========================================

I believe that someone is trying to dupe me to submit my permission to pre-authorize the sale, thus allowing the offending individual to buy the domain name at the buy now price that they set. At least, the message sounds like this. Am I right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One person on here said they leave their domains listed on Afternic, as make offer only, precisely to prevent others listing them.

Old listings or superuser overwrites I am familiar with, but recently found a domain of mine listed on Afternic that no one but me has ever owned, on a make offer basis, Presumably if they got an offer there they'd then hope to buy it from me for less on another platform.

By the way, names unwantedly being listed for sale can be harmful to a business actively using them - it can imply they are shutting down or selling up - we saw that with the issues around Enaming listing other people's names without consent - a very annoyed business owner turned up to complain:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/tr...sulting-firm-enaming-com.855570/#post-5005701
Experienced that earlier this year.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back