IT.COM

I am planning to start a new domain registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds like a huge project. What are you doing for web servers and development?

I am considering my options right now. Might go with an existing provider of the backend, if I like one enough.

•••
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated
Good luck with this

•••
NameSilo is probably the best registrar out there, but that doesn't mean you can't come a close second. :xf.wink:

Good luck with your new venture. (y)

•••
It's always nice to have some competition.
NameSilo is there already but no harm in having another good registrar.
Best of luck!

•••
I would say that ease of use, single or bulk settings buy/forward/dns, monthly/quarterly promos.
Affiliate program where people can add the names held in your site to a widget or port link/page.
That will be great for regular users. And maybe have a promo for NP and other investors to transfer in.
Bold, Useful, Landers (perhaps), cheap wp hosting... The sky's the limit!
PM for more ;)

Last edited:
•••
Regarding the name, Regz. Yes nice and short and whatnot, but I've never taken a site seriously that puts in the "z" in place of an "s" in the name. Its a bit too hoodlum sounding, almost like a bunch of teenagers trying to sound too cool for school. The face of the business is the first impression folks will get, and many might pass up a visit even if the meat on the bones is good.

In any case, you've got yourself a killer, relevant LLLL to use for the business for sure, hard to top. I'm sure it'll grow on me. Take you're time with this, test it, retest and test again before opening the doors. You're already a successful domainer, no need to rush a new venture.

•••
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe there’s a cost effective way to offer some sort of membership that entitles people to $5 .com renewals. If they pay a $100 a year and have at least a certain number of domains, or something like that
Members could pay for or earn bulk membership and other features easy push/transfer. Separate from regular customers.

•••
Regarding the name, Regz. Yes nice and short and whatnot, but I've never taken a site seriously that puts in the "z" in place of an "s" in the name. Its a bit too hoodlum sounding, almost like a bunch of teenagers trying to sound too cool for school. The face of the business is the first impression folks will get.

It still sounds more serious than godaddy...

•••
namesilo just got bought for 9 million usd...they sell names for $8.99....what if google said yahoo exists we dont need another search engine or if facebook said myspace exists we dont need anothe social site...
or if we said there are a ton of domain tools and marketplaces out there we dont need any more...

Well I am not 100% sure if that lines up with what I said. But Namesilo does a lot more than sell domain names for $8.99, my point was upsells and other services are necessary. I don't see a lack of offerings in registrars I don't see that as a great business to disrupt.

Most end users deal with GoDaddy, older corps still use Net Sol, I just had an offer on a domain last week where the user said, "I see this domain is at Name.com, if you will not move it to godaddy then there is no possibility for a deal." Not the first time I have got something like that.

Uniregistry, NameBright, NameSilo, Dynadot, Epik are all great domainer registrars in my opinion, they are the perfect anti-GoDaddy shops.

I wish Recons well I just don't think it's a great industry to spend night and day working on. More opportunity and upside in other niches. Again IMO

•••
NameSilo is probably the best registrar out there, but that doesn't mean you can't come a close second. :xf.wink:

Good luck with your new venture. (y)

I have over 1300 names and not a single one with NameSilo. I like what they have managed to do with so much positive opinion though. I might register few with them to check them out and learn, but again I have already noted few things I can offer better and/or differently.

I am not after getting to "million name club". I want Regz to be place where most valuable names are kept and the domain owner interests are prioritized for those. This is where you would keep the names you would never think twice to renew, as well as your company name etc.

•••
I would say that ease of use, single or bulk settings buy/forward/dns, monthly/quarterly promos.
Affiliate program where people can add the names held in your site to a widget or port link/page.
That will be great for regular users. And maybe have a promo for NP and other investors to transfer in.
Bold, Useful, Landers (perhaps), cheap wp hosting... The sky's the limit!
PM for more ;)

Agreed. I also, as an owner, look for ease of use and bulk settings.

Could you explain about the affiliate program?

•••
Regarding the name, Regz. Yes nice and short and whatnot, but I've never taken a site seriously that puts in the "z" in place of an "s" in the name. Its a bit too hoodlum sounding, almost like a bunch of teenagers trying to sound too cool for school. The face of the business is the first impression folks will get, and many might pass up a visit even if the meat on the bones is good.

In any case, you've got yourself a killer, relevant LLLL to use for the business for sure, hard to top. I'm sure it'll grow on me. Take you're time with this, test it, retest and test again before opening the doors. You're already a successful domainer, no need to rush a new venture.

One way would be, of course, going with a neutral name, but Regz conveys already some information what the core of the business is and that is valuable.

Apparently, people took seriously the brands like GoDaddy, NameSilo or even NameCheap (which would be valued as reg fee here, because a) cheap is not probably good to be part of the brand; b) it is not even in correct order), so Regz should not be problem. And easier to TM, I assume, than "Reg", "Register" (of course, wish I owned those) :)

I won't rush it. I am still in the phase where I a) collect all the relevant info about options, costs etc; b) am asking for input from you guys. But so far it looks good )

•••
Don't compete with your own customers, for domains! Level the playing field and be transparent. Keep your aftermarket commission lower than your competitors! Good Luck!

How would I compete for domains? Expiring names? My goal will be in minimizing them and maximizing the chance of good names remaining with owners. But if there were sufficient supply of those to warrant "expiring auctions", then, of course, there can be no competing and transparency would be required.

•••
•••
How would I compete for domains? Expiring names? My goal will be in minimizing them and maximizing the chance of good names remaining with owners. But if there were sufficient supply of those to warrant "expiring auctions", then, of course, there can be no competing and transparency would be required.
Bulk users could have a wallet. Regular users different payment method. You can have a page where the bulk users/members let unwanted names go.
Like a names pool.
OR
You could say for example - swap un wanted .com names for a new reg. (trade in)..
Or you could include that with your affiliate branding.
I will get back to you with replies in a while. I'm just stepping out...
Happy to talk in PM.

•••
start with small, and if you think you can do it more further , then scale the hell out! :xf.grin:

in Biz, what most important is not about how big you are or how much money that you have! because even if you run a register biz, in your mom basement! but you already have huge costumers, I am sure, soon or later! you have to be GD rival/Competitor! :xf.grin:

but even if you have the biggest capital in the world! but you have no idea how to get 1 Million costumer! I am sure soon or later you will run out of money/capital! :xf.grin: If I were you I will start from reseller, if I can get 5 thousand or even 10 thousand, costumer, then level up or upgrade your level, and become ICANN member, or what ever it is!

And to be honest with you, actually I CANN member, or not or just reseller, actually most ppl here don't really care that much:xf.smile:(well, maybe 5% ppl care) and if I were you I will think the same! I.e don't care what they think! what I do is focus to get costumer with cheap cost!:xf.grin: and if you already have 5k or 10k costumer, then upgrade! and scale the hell up! :xf.grin: but before that can happen! stop right there! and watch big dog playing! :xf.laugh:, learn from them, take 1-2 hints! I am sure you can learn something! :xf.grin:

BTW, marketing cost for Domain industry are quite big!:xf.grin: I don't think you can compete with them or win the game!:xf.grin:

Just FYI, 99% ppl that do biz, most of the time will end miserably!:xf.grin: unless for 1 % group of course!:xf.grin:

btw, try FB fanpage, I think that the cheapest way! or maybe, some PPV networks! , or maybe nampros, who know , you can get cheap ads! :xf.grin:

I can build 10K portfolio myself )) so getting to 5K to 10K should not be a problem ))

reseller is not an option, because I want to create a value proposition that is not there yet and resellers just use pre-packaged stuff and features and have too much dependence.

Marketing: not worried about that part. I will be able to try out various ways and venues and I have very strong educational background in this.

•••
Good luck to you but I can't imagine the juice being worth the squeeze.

If I would look at the current "pie" there is not much of "crumbs" left for viable business. However, I believe there is a way to make the "pie" larger and keep the incremental portion of it ;)

•••
Hi,

As i am quite new for domains investor. i would prefer a lower price with smart and easy UI interface.

Thanks,
Arnat

What is lower price for you? Low promos even when you know the renewals are way high and you will probably drop 90%+ of the names after a year? Or almost at cost pricing?

By the way, regarding UI, would love to hear, which one is considered good and which ones are the worst and why.

•••
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe there’s a cost effective way to offer some sort of membership that entitles people to $5 .com renewals. If they pay a $100 a year and have at least a certain number of domains, or something like that

The cost for registrar is over $8 per name. There is no way to offer unlimited $5 names and recoup them via membership fee.

•••
Depending on how much you have to invest/don't mind working at a loss for a while ,I think perhaps offering the names at cost and making your profit from add-ons and the marketplace could be a strategy.

Edit: Whois privacy included though*. Domains with whois at cost price would enable you to get a big market share of domainers. Once popular, your marketplace can be extremely lucrative (even if not doing the regular 12-15% commission most sites charge).

Whois privacy for free is I guess current industry standard ) Unless, you are GD or Netsol, of course ) Pricing will probably be very close to at cost for investors and in $9-10 range for regular buyers.

•••
Just have a look at Network Solutions and do everything exactly opposite ;) Good luck!

•••
Bulk users could have a wallet. Regular users different payment method. You can have a page where the bulk users/members let unwanted names go.
Like a names pool.
OR
You could say for example - swap un wanted .com names for a new reg. (trade in)..
Or you could include that with your affiliate branding.
I will get back to you with replies in a while. I'm just stepping out...
Happy to talk in PM.

You have some interesting ideas ) Will revisit, once I get the core service right ) In any case, anything incremental would be added if it can truly work. A dead additional offering is probably worse than no additional offering. So, if I will consider a marketplace, for example, I will need to make sure that it will be lively one, not to waste anyone's time.

•••
Just have a look at Network Solutions and do everything exactly opposite ;) Good luck!

Haha ) Exactly ))) Basically, they will be one of my primary targets, as I hate the way they do business.

•••
As far as UI usability I think I like Name.com the best. Easy to do things and loads fast.

•••
A responsive online chat support 24/7? that want really help you not like the godaddy one

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back