IT.COM

I am planning to start a new domain registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Enable crypto payment options for buyers and sellers when you start your marketplace.

•••
•••
Interesting to see so many responses. Other domainer-servicing registrars should have something to think about... More competition is always positive. The current stage is on idea level and so imho it is too early to deeply discuss setup details, except of a fact that some bulk customers would prefer to have their domains be with U.S.-based registrar, while others would actively prefer to be as far from U.S. as possible... and so the jurisdiction selection should be clarified from the very beginning by an owner

Last edited:
•••
Enable crypto payment options for buyers and sellers when you start your marketplace.

Probably can be done on a second phase of the project. Will need to analyze the mechanics and how the risks with high volatility would be hedged/handled.

•••
Interesting to see so many responses. Other domainer-servicing registrars should have something to think about... More competition is always positive. The current stage is on idea level and so it is too early to deeply discuss setup details, except of a fact that some bulk customers would prefer to have their domains be with U.S.-based registrar, while others would actively prefer to be as far from U.S. as possible... and so the jurisdiction selection should be clarified from the very beginning by an owner

Jurisdiction would be the US )

•••
Actually, well-configured api reseller (with special pricing) of lets say Tucows or any other serious registrar who is not (actively) serving domainers may be in fact better option, cheaper in all aspects and with the same outcome desired by members here.

•••
Probably can be done on a second phase of the project. Will need to analyze the mechanics and how the risks with high volatility would be hedged/handled.

I think if you have the option for sellers to list their domains at a fixed crypto price... like for example if I wanted to sell xxxxxx.com for 1btc. Then the buyer can either use their own crypto to buy the domain or pay the USD value based on the rate at the time. (You could incorporate a ticker that shows current price of BTC/USD) Once the buyer places the order then the USD value is locked in based on the value at time of purchase. So if the seller takes 2 days to complete the sale and BTC price goes up or down then it won't have any bearing on the sale because the value was locked in at the time of sale. :)

•••
I think if you have the option for sellers to list their domains at a fixed crypto price... like for example if I wanted to sell xxxxxx.com for 1btc. Then the buyer can either use their own crypto to buy the domain or pay the USD value based on the rate at the time. (You could incorporate a ticker that shows current price of BTC/USD) Once the buyer places the order then the USD value is locked in based on the value at time of purchase. So if the seller takes 2 days to complete the sale and BTC price goes up or down then it won't have any bearing on the sale because the value was locked in at the time of sale. :)

So the listing would be BTC, not in USD? That would limit buyer market considerably. Probably listing must still be in usd with an option to pay in crypto, right? And if they do, then the seller can handle the risk, if they chose the option and just get paid in the crypto.

•••
Actually, well-configured api reseller (with special pricing) of lets say Tucows or any other serious registrar who is not (actively) serving domainers may be in fact better option, cheaper in all aspects and with the same outcome desired by members here.

What aspects would it be cheaper at? Accreditation costs are not that huge, and additional flexibility and reputation are probably worth it.

•••
well.. it sure is an idea

if you have the money.. and time... then its your call.

but just strictly out of curiosity.. how many registrars now or in past have been known to be started and ran by pure domainer(s) like our friend Recons here?

and I don't mean by total newbies who only care to make some quick dollars.. but I mean people with experience like Recons.. who know how industry works and want to concentrate on quality of the services provided.

•••
So the listing would be BTC, not in USD? That would limit buyer market considerably. Probably listing must still be in usd with an option to pay in crypto, right? And if they do, then the seller can handle the risk, if they chose the option and just get paid in the crypto.

well.. he probably meant to offer both optins

but you need to be real careful with cryptos.. unless you become the middleman and escrow the btc payment til domain delivers etc.. otherwise its too risky for buyer to send btc to whoever with zero recovery chance.

•••

but you need to be real careful with cryptos.. unless you become the middleman and escrow the btc payment til domain delivers etc.. otherwise its too risky for buyer to send btc to whoever with zero recovery chance.

Those things can be mitigated/hedged. You collect the money (let's say 1 btc), move the name to buyer, pay the seller 1 btc minus commission. The only thing is that price has to still be shown in USD and btc would be calculated at that days rate. The seller would get the payment short time later, but he would be exposed to the fluctuation (could be up, could be down)

•••

Agree with @alcy here. Keep it as an addon payment gateway. Focus should always be on Paypal / Stripe / other well known and commonly used gateways.

@Recons.Com, it's always better to get accredited, provided you have the finances. Reseller domaining isn't cheap and you will have to sell domains for higher prices to break even.

•••
well.. it sure is an idea

if you have the money.. and time... then its your call.

but just strictly out of curiosity.. how many registrars now or in past have been known to be started and ran by pure domainer(s) like our friend Recons here?

and I don't mean by total newbies who only care to make some quick dollars.. but I mean people with experience like Recons.. who know how industry works and want to concentrate on quality of the services provided.

Never considered myself as "pure domainer" )

My interest in domains is in branding angle, as my background is in Marketing/Advertising/Branding/Finance. I just came to realize that you can truly brand, if you don't own the proper matching domain, hence my interest in building domain portfolio.

But appreciate your compliment and opinion. My hope is being an "insider", I will be able to serve better. Just was testing epik out today. First saw their price of 8.49 and thought not bad. Then chatted with a lady there, and turned out renewal prices are very high (renewal for .org for example is $35/year), so low price thing was a gimmick to get people hooked (and they don't even transparently show this). That is something I definitely will not do.

•••
Agree with @alcy here. Keep it as an addon payment gateway. Focus should always be on Paypal / Stripe / other well known and commonly used gateways.

@Recons.Com, it's always better to get accredited, provided you have the finances. Reseller domaining isn't cheap and you will have to sell domains for higher prices to break even.

Agree. It is not cheaper, or even if it is, it will not provide you the flexibility to stand out in any respect.

•••
•••
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated
Languages available?

Btw, just curious, why don't you like the word Domainers?

•••
IMO bad idea.
But its your money:)

•••
Languages available?

Btw, just curious, why don't you like the word Domainers?

Just does not make sense and feels a bit denigrating...

If you invest in houses, you are not houser, if you invest in bonds, you are not a bonder, if you invest in stocks, you are not stocker, if you invest in land, you are not a lander...

•••
•••
I do have long term ideas and plans here. I want to make it possible for a domain owner to have his domains being treated as real assets, possible to pass as inheritance, for example. For me it has been a concern, for example. What happens to my valuable names, if I die suddenly?
Isn't it what Domain Guardians does ? There may be a market but in my opinion it is tiny, even domainers can't be bothered to make those arrangements. Those who are incorporated can do without such a service if they have a partner, and a documented inventory.

PS: perhaps you could add a poll with multiple options to your thread, in order to outline the features that are perceived to be most important.

I have a few in mind. And they were run by well-known and rather successful domainers. The registrars I have in mind were terminated by Icann due to payment arrears and sometimes on compliance grounds, such as failure to escrow whois data or maintain a functioning whois server on port 43.
I understand that the registrars were not public, in fact they may not have been used much at all. Probably the goal was to manage their own portfolios and do some dropcatching. It makes sense to be your own guinea pig first and then scale up when you're mature.
So that was about a decade ago.

Either it was not cost-effective for them, or they underestimated the administrative and financial burden this entails. One registrar owed 13.5K, another owed 30K.
I think they didn't plan ahead well enough. A business plan must be realistic. Even if you anticipate to be profitable within a year you have to plan for less favorable scenarios and secure adequate, long-term funding for your business.
I also need to stress the need for compliance. Your IT operations have to be smooth and reliable. Loose accounting practices or bad whois maintenance are things that will jeopardize your status as accredited registrar. Laziness, failure to address complaints or implement UDRP rulings will also cause problems and can lead to termination.

In conclusion, domainers do not automatically make good business managers, they are not always good at running a domain registrar.
Domainer-friendly registrars, or registrars made by domainers for domainers are not as popular among domainers as they should. I think that trust is an issue, and people are creatures of habits too.
It takes a long time to establish trust. If I were to start a registrar I would not expect industry recognition in just one year. Not even in 5 years.
Look at all the registrars (your future competitors) that are more or less well-known/popular today, and when they were established. They are not young.
You really have to aim for the long term to be successful. In one year you will still be the new kid on the block. If you are not prepared for a slow growth, you will be discouraged and lose motivation, and money. I mean it.

•••
yep
well said Kate!

all in all, Recons, prepare yourself for a lot of work with this project.. a bit like being Sysop in the good old days of BBS hahahha

and remember, the more valuable the domains you keep there (which I think is your aim) the more responsability is on you in terms of providing protection etc etc.

all the best.
gl

•••
Speaking of which... is this going to be a one-man show ? What happens if you die or get hit by a car. I hope you will have at least one partner or employee capable enough to ensure business continuity.
There have been horror stories about resellers who go missing and the upstream registrar is not being helpful to stranded domain registrants.
But if you have reviewed the accreditation process you know more or less what Icann expect.

•••
•••
Good luck @Recons.Com . It is certainly a great idea. You have the business experience and skills to succeed. The name is good and well known between domainers but did you think of non domainers if they will be able to easily remember?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back