Dynadot

I am planning to start a new domain registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perhaps the angle of Free awesome landers would help sway domainers to the new register. Feels you would need some carrot on a stick.

That is a wonderful idea! Landing pages with buy it now possibility right from there (or make offer)

•••
@Recons.Com , buddy...
Count your money and plan your budget. Getting into Domain registration business might use up your savings and won't have good returns in near future.

Remember, Most domains are owned by Domain Investors like us and we don't want to pay regfee when we plan to buy a domain. See all threads here asking for discount coupons, etc. So, first year registration for any registrar is always going to be a negative marking in ledger books.

If you have a 5-10 year business plan set on the table, go for it. Future is good for Registrars, you just need to expand, not limit yourself to certain extensions.

I know this is a razor-thin margin business and I have few ideas that I cannot share yet ) Want to implement them first. I also can target non-investors via regular mail. For domain investors, those that are looking to reg for $3.99 and then drop 90% of what did not sell, they are not my target market.

I want to focus on those names by investors that are keepers and help them to keep them safer and help them sell better.

•••
I know this is a razor-thin margin business and I have few ideas that I cannot share yet ) Want to implement them first. I also can target non-investors via regular mail. For domain investors, those that are looking to reg for $3.99 and then drop 90% of what did not sell, they are not my target market.

I want to focus on those names by investors that are keepers and help them to keep them safer and help them sell better.
Sounds good. Your project will be much appreciated here :)

•••
"Regz" is impressive - short and memorable.

•••
Marketplace: will be added at next phase, making sure it is not a half baked solution.
Yet another market ?
I am not sure there is a major need for this, in fact this is beyond the core business of a registrar. IMO you have to focus on a clear angle first, and avoid function creep (speaking from an IT point of view).

They are with you because they never ran a registrar, there is simply very little money in selling people domain names for $10.
It's true, you need volume. At $10, after registry and Icann fees, and credit card processing fees your margin will be around $1 a pop. With a few thousand names in your portfolio it can be financially viable but not very profitable. That's why registrars usually sell hosting, SSL certificates, whois privacy and ancillary services.

Now you can run a barebone operation with E-mail support only. Then in theory you could be running a low-cost registrar from your basement in pajamas :)
If on the other hand you want to offer round the clock customer support, provide a superior experience you'll need to hire staff and this is where the costs start piling up. But I guess that's what call centers are for right.
You may need an accountant, you probably will if your business takes off. You'll have to file taxes.
You will probably need to have a legal counsel on a retainer too, to handle the complaints, the UDRP cases, and the various abuse & DMCA complaints you will be dealing with on a weekly basis.

I have made some financial projections, and I have actual experience with a few ccTLDs. Getting started is not the problem. The real killer is the administrative overhead. Do not underestimate the daily grind.
If you run your own private registrar just to manage your own portfolio there is no big issue really. Because you are only accountable to Icann and the registries - that means paying your fees in time and handling compliance issues if they ever arise.
Dealing with the public at large, even a sophisticated clientele like domainers is of course different.

For me the problem is how you are going to position yourself. I think people have to take sides sometimes. If you are going to serve clients but you compete against them at the same time this is going to cause friction. That's why domainers are not comfortable with DC/HD or other registrars run by domainers. Ever wonder why Uniregistrar for example is not more popular among domainers ? Domainers may have to use companies like DC to catch and bid on drops but it is clearly an arm's-length relationship. I don't think this is what you want.

And I understand that you would be targeting domain investors. They are demanding and not the most loyal customers. They are certainly going to want great pricing. But they have the coupon entitlement mentality, many domainers do not realize that a .com domain name costs more than $8 before you even make a profit.

Even if you stay away from all those silly nTLDs (you have my blessing), your clients will probably want a range of ccTLDs, so they can keep as many names as possible under the same roof for convenience. If you want to be a registrar for many ccTLDs, you will have to repeat the accreditation process again and again, the requirements will be different every time, and the rules are different from one ccTLD to another. Even when they all use the EPP protocol, there are TLD-specific extensions that may need to be implemented properly (a technical discussion here just to give you a glimpse). And it costs money. It costs money in development work to accommodate extra TLDs. The application process costs money. The ccTLD registries will often require that you maintain a prepaid account with them. So you have to leave money. Obviously you don't go through all this just for a few customers, it's not worth it.
That's why even Icann registrars are often resellers for ccTLDs. They outsource the complexity and the costs they would otherwise have to bear.

Now for the technical part. It can be outsourced. The backend can be quite basic. An EPP toolkit of some sort, you can even write your own scripts. You will want a website of course. It has to interface with the backend and be secure enough. You could use a turnkey solution from Logicboxes but this is not very sexy and not really the road to differentiation you aim for.

If you have the opportunity to go to a domain conference I recommend that you talk with people who work at registrars, you will learn a lot from their experience.

•••
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com great Name ! good luck

•••
Reseller is dependent on a registrar to much and don't have enough possibilities to implement new features and services.
Sure they do, look at dotster. I was going to say what media branding did, in that it will be difficult to cater to the older extensions only, while trying new things/innovating. Regz means something else to many, I'm sure you have something better in your arsenal. I'm not sure of the pros and cons to running a registrar, maybe you could rent out your dropcatch queries to web.com or turn commerce to offset the costs.
Also, sorry to sound negative but it's an uphill battle unless you have great funding and talent on your side. Best of luck

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like a huge project. What are you doing for web servers and development?

•••
start with small, and if you think you can do it more further , then scale the hell out! :xf.grin:

in Biz, what most important is not about how big you are or how much money that you have! because even if you run a register biz, in your mom basement! but you already have huge costumers, I am sure, soon or later! you have to be GD rival/Competitor! :xf.grin:

but even if you have the biggest capital in the world! but you have no idea how to get 1 Million costumer! I am sure soon or later you will run out of money/capital! :xf.grin: If I were you I will start from reseller, if I can get 5 thousand or even 10 thousand, costumer, then level up or upgrade your level, and become ICANN member, or what ever it is!

And to be honest with you, actually I CANN member, or not or just reseller, actually most ppl here don't really care that much:xf.smile:(well, maybe 5% ppl care) and if I were you I will think the same! I.e don't care what they think! what I do is focus to get costumer with cheap cost!:xf.grin: and if you already have 5k or 10k costumer, then upgrade! and scale the hell up! :xf.grin: but before that can happen! stop right there! and watch big dog playing! :xf.laugh:, learn from them, take 1-2 hints! I am sure you can learn something! :xf.grin:

BTW, marketing cost for Domain industry are quite big!:xf.grin: I don't think you can compete with them or win the game!:xf.grin:

Just FYI, 99% ppl that do biz, most of the time will end miserably!:xf.grin: unless for 1 % group of course!:xf.grin:

btw, try FB fanpage, I think that the cheapest way! or maybe, some PPV networks! , or maybe nampros, who know , you can get cheap ads! :xf.grin:

•••

David Vs Goliath:xf.smile:

Hope you have a disruptive idea to vie for the market share.
Entry barrier is definitely low but the devil seems to be in the Advertising & Promotional Expenses.
Anyways, Good Luck with your venture!

•••
They are with you because they never ran a registrar, there is simply very little money in selling people domain names for $10.
namesilo just got bought for 9 million usd...they sell names for $8.99....what if google said yahoo exists we dont need another search engine or if facebook said myspace exists we dont need anothe social site...
or if we said there are a ton of domain tools and marketplaces out there we dont need any more...

•••
That is a wonderful idea! Landing pages with buy it now possibility right from there (or make offer)
take it from me for sale landing pages that everyone likes is no easy task....we spent about a year developing for sale landing pages custimizable in just about every way..

•••
+1

I understand what you are thinking here but as we are domainers you are talking to here, we all have multiples of domains. Organization is key. Anything to detract from our domain organization is a negative.

Having all domains in one Registrar is critical for domain management for those of us who have hundreds or some with thousands even. So with that being written, I believe the bigger Registrars (GoDaddy, Uniregistry, etc.) are a bit more successful than others because they support a lot of extensions.

If I could get all of my domains into just one registrar i would in a heartbeat.

Just something to think about when you are making your decision into having just a few extensions or offering others as well.

Either way, it seems like a monstrous task. I wish you well.

Vito

Thank you. I am not saying I won't offer them. I just won't distract from .com like the others do nowadays.

When searching for a name, 90%+ of users want to see availability of .com first.

Basically, extensions would be ranked by their desirability, not by any other consideration.

•••
•••
I like "i can has domain.com" better.

•••
Yet another market ?
I am not sure there is a major need for this, in fact this is beyond the core business of a registrar. IMO you have to focus on a clear angle first, and avoid function creep (speaking from an IT point of view).

It's true, you need volume. At $10, after registry and Icann fees, and credit card processing fees your margin will be around $1 a pop. With a few thousand names in your portfolio it can be financially viable but not very profitable. That's why registrars usually sell hosting, SSL certificates, whois privacy and ancillary services.

Now you can run a barebone operation with E-mail support only. Then in theory you could be running a low-cost registrar from your basement in pajamas :)
If on the other hand you want to offer round the clock customer support, provide a superior experience you'll need to hire staff and this is where the costs start piling up. But I guess that's what call centers are for right.
You may need an accountant, you probably will if your business takes off. You'll have to file taxes.
You will probably need to have a legal counsel on a retainer too, to handle the complaints, the UDRP cases, and the various abuse & DMCA complaints you will be dealing with on a weekly basis.

I have made some financial projections, and I have actual experience with a few ccTLDs. Getting started is not the problem. The real killer is the administrative overhead. Do not underestimate the daily grind.
If you run your own private registrar just to manage your own portfolio there is no big issue really. Because you are only accountable to Icann and the registries - that means paying your fees in time and handling compliance issues if they ever arise.
Dealing with the public at large, even a sophisticated clientele like domainers is of course different.

For me the problem is how you are going to position yourself. I think people have to take sides sometimes. If you are going to serve clients but you compete against them at the same time this is going to cause friction. That's why domainers are not comfortable with DC/HD or other registrars run by domainers. Ever wonder why Uniregistrar for example is not more popular among domainers ? Domainers may have to use companies like DC to catch and bid on drops but it is clearly an arm's-length relationship. I don't think this is what you want.

And I understand that you would be targeting domain investors. They are demanding and not the most loyal customers. They are certainly going to want great pricing. But they have the coupon entitlement mentality, many domainers do not realize that a .com domain name costs more than $8 before you even make a profit.

Even if you stay away from all those silly nTLDs (you have my blessing), your clients will probably want a range of ccTLDs, so they can keep as many names as possible under the same roof for convenience. If you want to be a registrar for many ccTLDs, you will have to repeat the accreditation process again and again, the requirements will be different every time, and the rules are different from one ccTLD to another. Even when they all use the EPP protocol, there are TLD-specific extensions that may need to be implemented properly (a technical discussion here just to give you a glimpse). And it costs money. It costs money in development work to accommodate extra TLDs. The application process costs money. The ccTLD registries will often require that you maintain a prepaid account with them. So you have to leave money. Obviously you don't go through all this just for a few customers, it's not worth it.
That's why even Icann registrars are often resellers for ccTLDs. They outsource the complexity and the costs they would otherwise have to bear.

Now for the technical part. It can be outsourced. The backend can be quite basic. An EPP toolkit of some sort, you can even write your own scripts. You will want a website of course. It has to interface with the backend and be secure enough. You could use a turnkey solution from Logicboxes but this is not very sexy and not really the road to differentiation you aim for.

If you have the opportunity to go to a domain conference I recommend that you talk with people who work at registrars, you will learn a lot from their experience.

Thank you for such a detailed post.

I cannot target everyone. I won't target those who want to have everything, including cctlds, new gtlds etc., under the same roof. And, to be honest, don't see them right away moving everything to the new registrar.

My niche would be the most popular gtlds + most popular few cctlds and then basically making most sense for keeping valuable names with. Kind of opposite of NetSol.

I do have long term ideas and plans here. I want to make it possible for a domain owner to have his domains being treated as real assets, possible to pass as inheritance, for example. For me it has been a concern, for example. What happens to my valuable names, if I die suddenly? My kids are still young, my wife won't go anywhere near domains, and then they will go to domain vultures that will auction them off at expiring auctions and get all the money. The services, features, that will differentiated REGZ will be along those lines, primarily.

•••
•••
GoDaddy reports 15% revenue growth for 2016, higher loss this quarter from a year ago.
Brutal Business though Bob Parsons personal Net worth is: US$2.6 billion.
Suggest to avoid any business that is capital intensive. It takes big bucks to play at a global scale.
You might be better off outsourcing software projects to India.
Even a medium sized company here with a headcount of 200+ generates 2 Million Dollars profit / Year.

•••
Sure they do, look at dotster. I was going to say what media branding did, in that it will be difficult to cater to the older extensions only, while trying new things/innovating. Regz means something else to many, I'm sure you have something better in your arsenal. I'm not sure of the pros and cons to running a registrar, maybe you could rent out your dropcatch queries to web.com or turn commerce to offset the costs.
Also, sorry to sound negative but it's an uphill battle unless you have great funding and talent on your side. Best of luck

Thank you for the feedback. Regz: if it means something else, they can get used to new meaning and it will make sense for them ) Dropcatch: don't want to do anything with web.com, but I am sure I can find use for it. Can take backorders for customers, for example.

uphill battle: I have a full time MBA from a top US school in Finance and Marketing, funding should not be problem )

•••
GoDaddy reports 15% revenue growth for 2016, higher loss this quarter from a year ago.
Brutal Business though Bob Parsons personal Net worth is: US$2.6 billion.
Suggest to avoid any business that is capital intensive. It takes big bucks to play at a global scale.
You might be better off outsourcing software projects to India.
Even a medium sized company here with a headcount of 200+ generates 2 Million Dollars profit / Year.

GD business model is completely different. They work like Amazon posting losses for years, but compensating by market share and promise of future profits. They offer 0.99 names, spend on superbowl ads etc., but then charge you 15 per name and also get control of thousands of valuable names that they auction off as their own.

•••
take it from me for sale landing pages that everyone likes is no easy task....we spent about a year developing for sale landing pages custimizable in just about every way..

And that is ok ) Few nice options and possibility to sell right from there will attract some. And will provide some extra income to the registrar.

•••
RegFee.com can present your business more clear. If interested, drop me a PM.:laugh:

No thanks ) Don't want my business be defined by "Reg Fee". Quite the opposite, the best value proposition will be for "Not Reg Fee" names.

•••
•••
David Vs Goliath:xf.smile:

Hope you have a disruptive idea to vie for the market share.
Entry barrier is definitely low but the devil seems to be in the Advertising & Promotional Expenses.
Anyways, Good Luck with your venture!

I do have disruptive part of it too, but wouldn't make sense to make it public before going live ))

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back