Dynadot

discuss Hyphens in domain name?

NameSilo
Watch

urljunky

Top Member
Impact
I know this has been discussed before, but 4-5 years ago nobody wanted hyphens in domain name, said it wouldn't rank, said they were worthless.etc..etc.
Fast forward to today. There are plenty of hyphenated names ranking First Page Google. And some sales in the 5 figure range in 2017.
Now to the discussion of double hyphenated domain names? Today nobody wants them, they are worthless, they can't rank on google.
Fast forward 5 years.... Will they be valuable? Will they be just like single hyphens of before?
Let me know your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i thought it was clear about what we wrote about the history of why hyphens became popular and then unpopular and ultimately hyphens being cr*p....so double hyphens...double cr*p? So unless Google changes their algo to enhance hyphenated names....its unlikely it will hold value...wont say never or impossible just very very unlikely...imo
Let me be clear, i do not like double hyphen domain names, not sure how you/we could think otherwise

•••
i thought it was clear about what we wrote about the history of why hyphens became popular and then unpopular and ultimately hyphens being cr*p....so double hyphens...double cr*p? So unless Google changes their algo to enhance hyphenated names....its unlikely it will hold value...wont say never or impossible just very very unlikely...imo
Word-word.com vs wordWord.whatever vs wordWord9374.com which is better at seo aspect?

•••
Fast forward 5 years.... Will they be valuable? Will they be just like single hyphens of before?
Let me know your thoughts.
I believe anything is possible in this domain marketplace, a person wanting a name badly would purchase a quote and quote crappy name for xx.xxx

•••
•••
What about this site www.bet-at-home.com ?
Is it a small site?
Looks like a money making site to me.
That is a single hyphen though. It has 2 hyphens but not in a row like Crypto--Exchange.com.
Nice example though of a hyphened name doing great that is not spammy.

•••
Are the Germans just ahead of the curve?
In Beer & Schnitzel we're surely working on it, regarding the hyphens I think it's just a psychological thing. The US are and have been the supremacy in advertising ever since no matter what has to be sold. Name's dead as soon as you would have to explain "x dash y". To my mind it makes sense that you have an imaginary stop between two words. I think it's just simple as that. Both views are reasonable, it's just a question of your audience, where of course you want to target a vast majority of customers / end-users who obviously orientate on the habits of the biggest market. I think as long as your keywords are strong there's always a chance. Having-a-beer-now. Cheers!

•••
I believe hyphenated domains also has good value, not sure why many people here in NP says they doesn't have value.

Recent sales Block-Chain.Com (30k$+) & Crypto-Cash.com (7800$ and many more are good examples.

Also when you perform Crypto game keyword search in Google, first result you got is which is hyphenated result as shown below :

Crypto-Games.net: Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum Gambling

•••
Like car-brands.com

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I have
MY-LAPTOP.COM

Frank Sch wants $XX,XXX without hyphen )
I want XX with hyphen )​

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back