IT.COM

discuss Hyphen or No hyphen

NameSilo
Watch
I have a business concept that will sell a niche product online. The non hyphenated .com is owned by Google and they don't respond to my buy requests. The domain is a two word name.

The question is would you build a business on a hyphen domain or would you use a non hyphenated version of the name by adding a prefix or suffix to the name. Or would you maybe even use a .us.

I have always been against using anything with a hyphen but there is no other domain option that works in my opinion.

What would you do?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I will

1. Check the trademark first.

2. See then whether it's targeted to some countries or worldwide. If some country specific, I will go for cctld that country. Like .de for Germans. Regarding hyphen European countries use hyphenated domains majorly Germans.

3. If it's Global, I will go for .net if only I have no option to select other domain.

4. Lastly I will see research to find better alternative branding option for worldwide operations.

•••
I will never want a hyphen i see it as something that worked for seo in 90s and stopped the age of domain still won't effect my decision. I do have some as sites but also own without hyphen.

Last edited:
•••
I have a business concept that will sell a niche product online. The non hyphenated .com is owned by Google and they don't respond to my buy requests. The domain is a two word name.

The question is would you build a business on a hyphen domain or would you use a non hyphenated version of the name by adding a prefix or suffix to the name. Or would you maybe even use a .us.

I have always been against using anything with a hyphen but there is no other domain option that works in my opinion.

What would you do?

Thanks for your time.

Google are not replying to your unsolicited requests because they own the un-hyphenated name.

What would I do?
Stop sending them unsolicited outbound messages.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back