Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Hyphen Domains?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
Watch

Bill36

Established Member
Impact
201
I just wanted to see what the communities opinions were on hyphen domains. For example MusicInstruments.com compared to Music-Instruments.com

Any value in the hyphen domain?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
They're much less valuable. I don't think there's a single hyphenated domain in the top 100, and you rarely if ever hear of them in the big domain sales. Potentially up to high $xxx for the really good ones.

There does however seem to be a lot of businesses in the UK that unnecessarily hand-register hyphenated domains for their own use, they must think better of them for some unknown reason.
 
0
•••
They're much less valuable. I don't think there's a single hyphenated domain in the top 100, and you rarely if ever hear of them in the big domain sales. Potentially up to high $xxx for the really good ones.

There does however seem to be a lot of businesses in the UK that unnecessarily hand-register hyphenated domains for their own use, they must think better of them for some unknown reason.

Yeah, I figured they wouldn't bring in HUGE amounts of money. That's weird I never paid attention that people in the UK seem to prefer hyphen domains over non hyphen. Thank You for the response, I might look into registering a few.
 
0
•••
Chick-fil-a is probably one of the few exceptions! It has PR7 too! ;)
 
0
•••
It's Germany which prefers hyphens, not UK.
 
0
•••
I have felt that hyphens would be a growth area, but it hasn't happened yet.

Domainers hate hyphens so availability is much better.

That said, I don't have very many.
 
0
•••
I was thinking about snatching up a few, but I haven't decided if I wanted to yet.
 
0
•••
Even a glance at weekly sales will tell you they regularly sell for several thousand dollars (as well as the xxx mentioned above, of course). While MusicInstruments.com might be out of a domainer's (or end-user's) price range, Music-Instruments.com is affordable to both.
I sold one last week for low $xxxx that I picked up in this very forum for $10 or $20. If you are careful about which ones you buy, they can make a nice return. Make sure they are rock solid domains. Try to go for those that would be $xxxxx domains if unhyphened. Make sure most (preferably all) extensions of the unhyphened domains are taken, ideally by end-users. Is the hyphenated is taken in several extenions, that's nice as well. Most of all, a Google search should show a flood of business using the keywords. One of them is likely to come around and settle for a hyphen eventually.
 
0
•••
It's Germany which prefers hyphens, not UK.

I have always wondered why Germany really prefers hyphens. They even prefer some names with many hyphens in it, where it would be worthless to the rest of us.
 
0
•••
Even a glance at weekly sales will tell you they regularly sell for several thousand dollars (as well as the xxx mentioned above, of course). While MusicInstruments.com might be out of a domainer's (or end-user's) price range, Music-Instruments.com is affordable to both.
I sold one last week for low $xxxx that I picked up in this very forum for $10 or $20. If you are careful about which ones you buy, they can make a nice return. Make sure they are rock solid domains. Try to go for those that would be $xxxxx domains if unhyphened. Make sure most (preferably all) extensions of the unhyphened domains are taken, ideally by end-users. Is the hyphenated is taken in several extenions, that's nice as well. Most of all, a Google search should show a flood of business using the keywords. One of them is likely to come around and settle for a hyphen eventually.


Where do you monitor weekly sales at? I would like to see them, but I would like to register a few just to see how it would work out for selling.
 
0
•••
While MusicInstruments.com might be out of a domainer's (or end-user's) price range, Music-Instruments.com is affordable to both.
I sold one last week for low $xxxx that I picked up in this very forum for $10 or $20.
That's impressive! Is that a hiphenated domain? Would you mind sharing with us where you sold it? Did you develop it to be a mini-site?
 
0
•••
Where do you monitor weekly sales at? I would like to see them, but I would like to register a few just to see how it would work out for selling.

Still waiting on a response for this if anyone has any information where to monitor sales at

That's impressive! Is that a hiphenated domain? Would you mind sharing with us where you sold it? Did you develop it to be a mini-site?

Yes, please share with us! I was also curious if you developed it at all either.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back