Domain Empire

guide How Useful Are Marketplaces Without Changing Nameservers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reyginus

Established Member
Impact
By marketplaces here I am talking about sites like Dan and Sedo. I had names on both places for months without a single visit but immediately I changed ns to one I started seeing visits and sales.

So, basically, it seems they are just Landers. Am I missing something? If they are merely Landers, besides listing for accidental sales (e.g a person viewing one of your names and then end up viewing others), is it really worth listing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
u do not get many people..I noticed in yer posts..plz..just pay more attention.. people give ya good tips here...and u get no bill for it.
I mean your language. Your expression.

•••
People don't really visit them to search for names.
I think this is an oversimplification. Some people do search at Afternic, DAN, and Sedo (and at brandable marketplaces). That said, I suspect more do end up at a name either through a lander or the registration stream searches. A simple test is ask people what fraction of their sales are where the lander is. Definitely not 100%.

The simple point is why choose? There are many ways that people can find your domain names. Why not use as many as possible?

Bob

•••
People don't really visit them to search for names. It is the search for a name that leads them there.

Hi

sedo = Search Engine for Domain Owners

i've been using them since 2004 and do you really think "people" don't visit the site to search for names?

don't delve too deep into a shallow pool of thought
it's simple, either you change ns, or you don't
but if not, then no chance to earn any ppc

some names may sell there, and ns is pointed elsewhere
i have sold on afternic and name was pointed to sedo
have sold on sedo and name was pointed to bodis
have sold via email and name was pointed to voodoo.

marketplaces are there for you to take advantage of, it's your choice to use or not.

imo...

•••
OP i think most marketplaces are just escrow or lander providers. As a domainer/ buyer I do not visit a Sedo or Dan for searching brand names.

•••
The lander has always done the work and a marketplace has never marketed your domains. You might find some landers better and some better services etc but nobody is actively trying to sell your domains. The benefit is secure transfers and trust using known brands.

Last edited:
•••
I actually bought a domain off dan - don't see what's the problem with them.

•••
This year I sold domains on Afternic, Dan and Sedo while the nameservers of the domains were set to another marketplace. I sold a .eu domain on Dan while NSs were set to Sedo, and one .eu domain on Afternic(!) with NSs pointing to Dan (and Afternic price was higher than the one on Dan LOL).

The bottom line is that you need to list your domains at least on these 3 platforms, because you never know which can sell your domain. I personally use Dan as a lander, because I'm not very happy with the landers on the other platforms.

•••
•••
The lander has always done the work

Hi

the domain, does the work, first!

how to get it is next,
that's where the lander or the "This Domain May Be For Sale" banner on ppc page,
or even the WhoIs data, that leads the potential to the contact info they seek.

then, the work is on you, again, to proceed accordingly.
because one had to put in work - to find, buy and list it,in order to see how useful a marketplace is, right?

imo...

•••
Nine times out of ten, most of your sales will come via the platform where your NS is pointed to. Which is why most brandable places insist that your NS must be pointed to them throughout the duration of your listing. So, in a way, most brandable marketplaces as well as places like Dan, Epik etc are basically glorified landing pages.

Having said that, there is that 1% chance that a sale can come through a marketplace despite not having your NS pointed to them; some more than others. Some marketplaces are popular in Europe like Sedo and Dan. Others, like Squadhelp, spend a lot of money on retargeted ADs. Not every sale comes from type-in traffic. Some sales even come in via Whois without any listing anywhere.

The general rule of thumb is to list at Afternic, choose where to point your NS like Epik, Sedo or Dan etc, then list everywhere else that allows non-exclusivity.

This is my experience as well. With names priced at $2,000+, only 0-2% per year have come from marketplaces with the nameservers not pointing to those marketplaces. It was so low, I just stopped doing it.

For me, 50-60% come from landers and 40-50% comes from Afternic (Premium network option)

•••
I create my own sales landers and use Dan as a buy now option.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Here is somethings to think about:

Switching the nameservers around occasionally between different platforms and Landers (including your own) might get the attention of crawlers specially if you make some changes in how your Landers look like.

Also deleting the domains occasionally and adding them again a little later on might get you some exposure from those who search and filter the platforms for newly added domains.

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that I used to do this a long time ago when I was a more active seller so in todays market these are just some theories that need to be tested to see if they make any difference in the results.

(Remember change the nameservers at your own risk.)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back