IT.COM

discuss What's the Best Marketplace for .XYZ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reyginus

Established Member
Impact
What's the best marketplace for .xyz domain names? Noticed a great change in my domains when I changed NS to Dan. Don't know if Afternic gives the same leap. So, guys, from your experience which is currently the best or go to for selling .xyz names? Thanks.

Better still, what's the best way to sell .xyz domain names?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My advice to stay away from .xyz, stick to extensions that sell. You uwill always see a few decent sales in every strange extension thast comes along, but dont think they will continue, they dont.

Most companies have never even heard of the extensions, so they wont be spending money on buying one. Im not guessing with this comment, I have posted this on our LinkedIn page (30,000 end-users) and asked end-users via our newsletter who have bought many names from me in the past and they have no idea about .xyz. I would put them for auction with a low reserve and see what you can get for them.

Hope that helps, good luck

•••
I am tagging @DNGear in case she wishes to provide a response. I believe she has been the most successful selling .xyz. For example, NameBio from just 2021 has at least 13 of her sales at $1000 or more up to almost $10,000 per name.

Also for strong names as well as the usual marketplaces SH will now consider .xyz as an allowed extension but my understanding is the term must be very good.

I suspect one needs a marketplace that is strong outside North America and Western Europe, but which that is is not clear to me. I have a handful of .xyz that I list in same places as my other names but that is probably not optimum.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
.XYZ has been released in 2014. Its been 7 years. I dont think it would go away like some predicted.
We can find some .xyz end users here.
https://gen.xyz/live

Please list your domains with BIN in afternic and Godaddy. You will see the magic.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
I am tagging @DNGear in case she wishes to provide a response. I believe she has been the most successful selling .xyz. For example, NameBio from just 2021 has at least 13 of her sales at $1000 or more up to almost $10,000 per name.

Also for strong names as well as the usual marketplaces SH will now consider .xyz as an allowed extension but my understanding is the term must be very good.

I suspect one needs a marketplace that is strong outside North America and Western Europe, but which that is is not clear to me. I have a handful of .xyz that I list in same places as my other names but that is probably not optimum.

Bob

I dont recommend SH for .xyz. XYZ traffic has been converting to other's sales.
I gave the 7 day notice to withdraw my portfolio.

•••
.XYZ has been released in 2014. Its been 7 years. I dont think it would go away like some predicted.
We can find some .xyz end users here.
https://gen.xyz/live

Please list your domains with BIN in afternic and Godaddy. You will see the magic.

Good luck!
This is good. By listing here I believe you mean pointing the NS to Afternic or GoDaddy?

•••
My advice to stay away from .xyz, stick to extensions that sell. You uwill always see a few decent sales in every strange extension thast comes along, but dont think they will continue, they dont.

Most companies have never even heard of the extensions, so they wont be spending money on buying one. Im not guessing with this comment, I have posted this on our LinkedIn page (30,000 end-users) and asked end-users via our newsletter who have bought many names from me in the past and they have no idea about .xyz. I would put them for auction with a low reserve and see what you can get for them.

Hope that helps, good luck
Thanks but getting a name for just a dollar and seeing people reporting sales is a hard temptation to resist. The problem, I believe, is in registering too much and useless .xyz names. I just need to reg hundred and see how it goes. So far, I've got five.

•••
•••
Please point to ns3 ns4.
That is, change this to NS3 and NS4:
NS1.AFTERNIC.COM
NS2.AFTERNIC.COM

To:
NS3.AFTERNIC.COM
NS4.AFTERNIC.COM

Last edited:
•••
•••
Afternic for all extensions.

•••
Thanks but getting a name for just a dollar and seeing people reporting sales is a hard temptation to resist. The problem, I believe, is in registering too much and useless .xyz names. I just need to reg hundred and see how it goes. So far, I've got five.

Yeah, but have a look at how many sales are happening compared to how many are registered, its a tiny fraction, most just end up expiring, over 7 years is plenty of time for a an extension to gain some traction, which hasnt happened with .xyz. Why would you register 100 xyz names, try and sell the 5 you have and then reinvest the cash into better names, much lower risk as well, its much better to have 5 renewals in 12 months time if you cant sell any, rather than 100. Dont fall into the usual newbie trap of buying loads of names thinking you will sell them all, you wont, especially in the .xyz extension.

As a test, email an end-user and offer him one of your .xyz names, see what his reply his.

Good luck with the names either way.

Last edited:
•••
I dont need to brag on this.
.XYZ would show its magic itself sooner or later.

•••
I dont need to brag on this.
.XYZ would show its magic itself sooner or later.
So, we should keep accumulating, right? :xf.grin:

•••
Yeah, but have a look at how many sales are happening compared to how many are registered, its a tiny fraction, most just end up expiring, over 7 years is plenty of time for a an extension to gain some traction, which hasnt happened with .xyz. Why would you register 100 xyz names, try and sell the 5 you have and then reinvest the cash into better names, much lower risk as well, its much better to have 5 renewals in 12 months time if you cant sell any, rather than 100. Dont fall into the usual newbie trap of buying loads of names thinking you will sell them all, you wont, especially in the .xyz extension.

As a test, email an end-user and offer him one of your .xyz names, see what his reply his.

Good luck with the names either way.
It all comes down to picking the right names and whether they connect or not with buyers.. so why don't you and other's quit spamming NP with this crap. Exact same can be said with .com, you think everyone sells what they have?

Quit discriminating against extensions and trying diversifying yourself into new areas that aren't saturated with nonsense.

A good name is a good name, how about giving props to those sales that have occurred and end user whom have connected with rather than steering folks towards your own agenda? We're all working towards the same goal here after all.

How many newbies have come and gone, thinking they could invest in .com and turn an immediate profit with just any name. There's so many nuances to domaining it's important to be clear and specific rather than pushing your own investments because you haven't looked outside your front door to see where the internet is headed.

As a test, why don't you try it yourself put your money where your mouth is and at the same time let us know the name you tried it with.

•••
I don't think that Afternic matters... just waste of time and 20%.
Because GoDaddy search system is tuned only for very limited set of TLDs when buyers check just keywords (without TLD). Like .com/.net/.org/.info and probably a few major ccTLDs.
This is how most buyers check.

Exact match buyers will visit your domain - so you may park anywhere you like, even using your own page.

Last edited:
•••
This is a valuable discussion that could be replicated for other TLDs. I often wonder whether some TLDs are sell better in different venues.

The Afternic premium fast-transfer network would not apply to this extension. So I presume that the preference expressed for Afternic is either related to familiarity of the GD brand and/or that they have agents available to talk by phone in many languages? Or do I misunderstand?

Has anyone done an A/B comparison with say Afternic vs DAN or Sedo for enough names and time to conclude anything?

@DNGear when you mentioned removing from SH, was that SH premium or do you mean a SH White Label site?

It would seem to me that if you had enough names in the TLD your own SH WL on an .xyz domain could give prominent presentation without diverting potential buyers to domain names that are for sale by others.

With one's own landers it would be possible to feature information about the extension, some in-use sites, etc. which could be an advantage.

What fraction of .xyz aftermarket buyers do you think are from
  • North America
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • Rest of World?
I have so many questions! :xf.eek:

Thanks to all who have provided insights in the thread.

Bob

•••
Has anyone done an A/B comparison with say Afternic vs DAN or Sedo for enough names and time to conclude anything?
I can conclude: almost no difference in sales between them. It sells where it is parked.
If we compare outside of the mentioned TLDs in my previous post.

Last edited:
•••
Sales also depend on what TLDs are advertised on GoDaddy's main page...
They usually happen exactly during these periods.

•••
•••
•••
This is how @DAN.COM treating .xyz. I have informed them several times. No proper response.
I can recall from their posts, that DAN search system was outsourced to some 3rd party (very probably - they have no any relations to domains, no any domainers there).

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is how @DAN.COM treating .xyz. I have informed them several times. No proper response.

Hi Dngear, Our algorithm is optimized for conversion and we do not manually improve or worsen the ranking of one TLD over another. Our algorithm also returns different results per region/country as it optimizes according to local preferences.

I can recall from their posts, that DAN search system was outsourced to some 3rd party (very probably - they have no any relations to domains, no any domainers there).

That's not posted by us since we never outsourced our search to a third party. Our entire marketplace is built in-house. In our full setup, only our blockchain is built by a third party.

•••
That's not posted by us since we never outsourced our search to a third party. Our entire marketplace is built in-house. In our full setup, only our blockchain is built by a third party.
It was posted by Reza in the past, that you hired some analytics company to optimize your search system...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back