IT.COM

sales How to Sell a Domain to Your Target Market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
There’s a great discussion taking place over at the domain forum, NamePros, where one camp is asking why businesses don’t buy domains for thousands of dollars well another group is suggesting that is way too much money. The fundamental question that needs to be asked by a domain seller is, “Who am I selling to?”

The vast majority of businesses in the world are small not large. These are often the family owned firms that may be running the local pizza shop or printing company. They may or may not have a website and given their clientele are within a few miles of their business they often have little need nor desire to expand to the rest of the world.

A successful small business is often one that allows the owner to pay themselves a salary. Remember that 80% of small businesses fail in the first couple of years largely due to lack of capital.

To ask a small business owner to put their hand in their own pocket and buy a domain name worth $10,000 plus dollars is a huge step. They are likely to decline the opportunity because they would rather buy a car or take their family on a holiday instead. One of the reasons why most domains sell for $1500 is because this large market has individuals within it that are prepared to risk smaller amounts of money.

Typically speaking this market segment is looking for an idea that will either make their life easier or allow them to get the jump on local competitors. They are fast moving and more often than not would buy a domain on an impulse. This market segment also provides the baseline of inbound enquiries to the marketplaces like Sedo and Afternic.

This brings us to the medium sized enterprises that represent about 9% of businesses. They are still often controlled by an individual who makes any significant monetary decisions and they will require a rudimentary business case for a $XX,XXX or more domain purchase. They do have a greater capacity to purchase a domain if they believe they really need it. The challenge here is to prove the domain's worth....more on this later.

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Contrary to popular opinion, a marketing manager doesn’t have a large amount of cash they can just throw around….it’s already been allocated in budgets and it’s very unlikely to have a line item for domains. An individual rarely makes the decision for a large domain purchase but they may become your internal champion if correctly managed."

"I should say that your goal should NOT be to sell one of your domains but rather educate the individual on how they can sell the domain internally."

well-done-grunge-rubber-stamp-vector-illustration_149519426.jpg

•••
Thank you. I'm glad you appreciated the article....it inspires me to continue writing :)

•••
•••
good article, especially from the buyers perspective on how they decide to spend.

•••
The bottom line is...
aftermarket domains are perceived as being expensive, because the benefits are often hard to quantify in hard dollars. Technically, a crap domain works just like a good domain. It's all about branding.

If the company gets more traffic, just because their new domain is more memorable, more prone to type-in, more credible (increases clickthrough rate)... they will usually figure out after the acquisition. The benefits will become more tangible over time. Or not.

Everybody can understand that a good domain boosts credibility but what's the return like ? Domain sellers usually can't answer that question.

Last edited:
•••
The bottom line is...
aftermarket domains are perceived as being expensive, because the benefits are often hard to quantify in hard dollars. Technically, a crap domain works just like a good domain. It's all about branding.

If the company gets more traffic, just because their new domain is more memorable, more prone to type-in, more credible (increases clickthrough rate)... they will usually figure out after the acquisition. The benefits will become more tangible over time. Or not.

Everybody can understand that a good domain boosts credibility but what's the return like ? Domain sellers usually can't answer that question.
I think it's encumbent upon the domain seller to at least make an attempt to quantify this or be prepared for lower prices.

•••
WhizzBang showing a deep understanding of the intrinsic nature of domaining which is much needed here, casting light through the fog, especially for new investors.

•••
Remember that 80% of small businesses fail in the first couple of years largely due to lack of capital.

Michael any source for this ? Not the 80% figure, but the reason being the lack of capital ( I doubt it ).

•••
Michael any source for this ? Not the 80% figure, but the reason being the lack of capital ( I doubt it ).
From experience talking with small businesses that have failed due to lack of capital and requiring investment. Also....a quick Google search showed that "lack of capital" is a major contributing factor to a small business failing. Even "successful" small businesses can fail as they run out of cash to solve the liquidity problem of funding their receivables. This is the grow until you explode scenario.

Never forget....in small businesses cash is king!

•••
From experience talking with small businesses that have failed due to lack of capital and requiring investment. Also....a quick Google search showed that "lack of capital" is a major contributing factor to a small business failing. Even "successful" small businesses can fail as they run out of cash to solve the liquidity problem of funding their receivables. This is the grow until you explode scenario.

Never forget....in small businesses cash is king!

Well, sure , I understand. And still, I believe that in a lot of cases lack of capital is not the real issue, whether a business owner understands this or not. It's the "magic sauce" that is flawed, ie. the method to turn $1 to $1.10. Burning more capital money into something that doesn't work won't help !

•••
Well, sure , I understand. And still, I believe that in a lot of cases lack of capital is not the real issue, whether a business owner understands this or not. It's the "magic sauce" that is flawed, ie. the method to turn $1 to $1.10. Burning more capital money into something that doesn't work won't help !
LOL! Couldn't agree with you more!

•••
•••
Also, check out this wise post by @garptrader:
We also have to keep in mind that most people outside developed markets live very differently than middle-class Americans. I recall a visit to a rural part of Colombia where the roads were dirt, the only way to the city was by moto or horse. There was no running water so taking a shower meant pouring a bucket of cold water over your head. There were no stores like we think of them in the US - really nothing to do for entertainment. The local elementary school had no electricity. The billions of people around the world who live in such conditions are not buying your domains for five figures. Perhaps that is why selling Spanish domains is so challenging.
Source: https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...lds-boom-big-drop.987820/page-22#post-5905156

If you're trying to sell domains in less developed areas of the world don't be surprised at the low response rate. For example, in parts of the Middle East the supply of electricity is interrupted several times a day, so you need a UPS for your computer and servers. Hard to nurture a local digital economy in such conditions obviously, when basic infrastructure is lacking.
Even if your asking price is justified, it is still a small fortune to people who are not accustomed to the same living standards. And obviously, even in the US, not everyone is doing well, many entrepreneurs are struggling and cannot afford prestige acquisitions...

•••
Yes, not all inquiries are going to come from Fortune 500 buyers. But knowing what even small companies spend on normal operating expenditures (lawyers, accountants and IT professionals don't work for free; lease space can be far more expensive than your average domain sale), the mentality of a domain should cost $XX seems silly.

•••
Yes, not all inquiries are going to come from Fortune 500 buyers. But knowing what even small companies spend on normal operating expenditures (lawyers, accountants and IT professionals don't work for free; lease space can be far more expensive than your average domain sale), the mentality of a domain should cost $XX seems silly.
I don't think anyway is suggesting a domain should cost $XX. What is necessary for pricing is to consider the market. When dealing with a small business you are most likely going to be in the price range of $500-$2500 with an average of around $1500.

•••
I don't think anyway is suggesting a domain should cost $XX. What is necessary for pricing is to consider the market. When dealing with a small business you are most likely going to be in the price range of $500-$2500 with an average of around $1500.

that is in fact true

but you need to introduce the term
"wrong buyer"

a small business may inquire for a domain
and not be able / wanting to pay more then $1500 USD

same domain could be worth $50.000 USD to another buyer

•••
That was a great read. Thanks.

•••
I think I am smart enough to look at domaining business from both seller and buyer sides (and so you are). And both these guys inside me tell me that a good domain worth a lot, bad domain worth $XX, regardless of who is appraising. Definition: good domain is one fits your needs, no matter how many letters are in, and what extension it is. Bad domain is one that can not meet one's needs.
Simple as that, no need that deep researches.
Speaking of "who I am selling to", try to sell a cake to a thirsty person. Its not about domaining only.

•••
Thank you for this read, one lf the best ones out there.

I'm spefic to Cannabis brands and url.com it's a target future market

You helped me define my portfolio now in the thousands. I have also been holding out on the proper timing....that appears to be very near.

The market should be a a demand for urls...and fierce market competitiveness.

California is a country into itself. Between medical and recreational. Storefronts will need urls, edibles from cookies to beer, dog care to education. The life sciences to research. All in play. Then lf course medical.

Your discussion touched on every aspect of this new billion dollar industry.

Urls in this industry are especially important for their are no trademarks.

Last edited:
•••
I think I am smart enough to look at domaining business from both seller and buyer sides (and so you are). And both these guys inside me tell me that a good domain worth a lot, bad domain worth $XX, regardless of who is appraising. Definition: good domain is one fits your needs, no matter how many letters are in, and what extension it is. Bad domain is one that can not meet one's needs.
Simple as that, no need that deep researches.
Speaking of "who I am selling to", try to sell a cake to a thirsty person. Its not about domaining only.

Well said! (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back