IT.COM

advice How To Respond To Buyers Quoting GoDaddy’s Appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I explained how GoDaddy has acquired some domain portfolios over the past few years, and the company operates a portfolio company called NameFind. I then shared a domain name owned by GoDaddy / NameFind. For the sake of keeping the name I shared private for a couple of reasons, I will use a different but similar example. Cliche.com, for example, is priced at $49,999, but GoDaddy’s automated appraisal says the domain name is worth $15,813.
Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-9.12.59-AM.png

Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddy valuations generally overvalue lower tier domains and undervalue true premium domains.

I don't think $50K is a bad end user price for that domain at all. The way that is displayed would certainly make the buyer question if they are overpaying.

There should really be a way to opt-out of this as a seller.

Brad

•••
GoDaddy valuations generally overvalue lower tier domains and undervalue true premium domains.

I don't think $50K is a bad end user price for that domain at all. The way that is displayed would certainly make the buyer question if they are overpaying.

There should really be a way to opt-out of this as a seller.

Brad

Yes, definitely need an opt out. GoDaddy crap appraisals are taking money out of our pockets.

Any random crap regfee name you generate as a .com will appraise for over 1k, but great names are undervalued by 5, 6 or 7 figures.

•••
I have always said it is a mistake to quote auto appraisals to end users, because they can play the game against you as well. And if they see domainers consistently refer to GD appraisals they might even start thinking they are valid measures of domain value.

In the linked article above, several domainers are saying the tool is actually killing sales.
I don't think you can have it both ways, and only quote the appraisals that support your asking price.

•••
I have always said it is a mistake to quote auto appraisals to end users, because they can play the game against you as well. And if they see domainers consistently refer to GD appraisals they might even start thinking they are valid measures of domain value.

In the linked article above, several domainers are saying the tool is actually killing sales.
I don't think you can have it both ways, and only quote the appraisals that support your asking price.

Exactly because end users don't care what the domain industry thinks or appraisals emanating from the domain industry.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back