IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting and very impressive! (y)

On what size portfolio is this?

Very small, about 380names. Most are long term investment.
I only do outbound marketing on my reg fee names for cash flow....

•••
nRnF said:
4) Right after setting up the domain auction I send out a mail to each identified potential buyer, and inform them about the auction.
(1 by 1 and personalized for each buyer)
Would like to see a sample af that mail. Care to share?

•••
I've read this thread from it's 2005 creation until now, front to back and over again.

Here's what works.

#1 Have the domain listed somewhere as an auction (eBay, GoDaddy) with some kind of time constraint and reserve to it. This way the end user knows that there is a limited amount of time before this domain is sold.

#2 Contact them from a non-ISP email address, preferably an address from the domain you are trying to sell. If you don't want to do that then use your main business eMail address. Look as professional as possible.

#3 Include an eye catching subject. We use Re: "Keywords here". A domain should relate to their business, if they see the keywords that relate to their business they will open it.

#4 In the body be short, be professional, and use sales 101. Create urgency, a sense of loss if they do not act; create benefit. Always include a price, do not create a sense that bargaining is okay. If they are interested, they will respond with an offer or just say okay I'll buy. Under $5k will be an easy sell, over $5k then you are looking at a serious decision process.

#5 Last but not least, follow up ALL responses and close the sale.

#6 FOR YOU:

Don't sell the domains that you know are 'big money' domains that could fetch high offers down the road. Be patient, if they are good domains the offer will come eventually.

If you are buying correctly your domains should sell for no less than $1k each. If you are buying brandable domains with no exact match value then you are facing an uphill battle.

I hope this summary helps.

- Joe

Last edited:
•••
So finally I have completed this wealth of information. Thanks to all that contributed to this training course. The practical journey to sale success begins now!!!

•••
**BEFORE you buy or register any name, think very carefully about your potential target audience, what REAL benefit the name will bring to an end user, and why they should choose to spend hard earned money on your name rather than any of the millions of others out there.

**Have high quality domain names (dot coms sell the highest proportion of all extensions), so the end users find and reach out to you!

**List names in marketplaces with the most eyeballs, including but not limited to Godaddy, Afternic and Sedo.

**Follow other people's advice about doing outbound emails and make sure your email list is very targetted and relevant to the domain name.

**Be patient and persevere - not every domain name will sell!

**Rinse and Repeat!!!

•••
so happy to have found this tread , great information
one problem that i have found with namepros is that is so full of information that i get lost sometimes
already bookmark it to return again.
thank you

•••
Dropcatching/hand-registering previously registered domain names (.com/.net etc.) that relat to products or services, and then reaching out to 20-40 select companies that could potentially benefit from owning the domain, is a profitable model that I have been using on the side for 7+ years.

If you are targeting the right domain names, 1 domain in 5 (at worst) will sell. Average sales range: $100-$300. I do some marketing on most days and it only takes 15-20mins to market a domain to the key prospects. You can earn $150, spending just 1.5 hours/day doing some easy MKTG. Or $300/3 hrs a day. Many members here do not seem to have the patience/drive to keep up an effective MKGT routine. Just try it for 3 straight days, but you need to be grabbing the right kind of domains.

Do the math. Working part-time, with some basic negotiation skills, you can earn between $6,000 and $7,000 sending effective emails to the right buyers. Again, we are not talking about mid to top-tier domain names - always best to wait for end user inquiries on these. But looking for regular proactive sales, if you know what you are doing, there is plenty of opportunities in this space to earn a decent income, working less than half the hours of regular 9-5 workers, and earning a better wage in most cases.

I do exactly this and can confirm it works! I have been doing this for years and thanks to this tactic domaining is my only job and I don't need to work anything else.

BUT, I usually spend more time on each sale. I usually need 5-6 hours of effective work for each sale as I separate around 80+ quality potential buyers and send an e-mail to each of them. It takes time, but I have a routine so 5-6 hours is enough for me.
By being more detailed you can expect 4/5 sales, not only 1/5, in usual range $100$-$300. Sometimes it is only $50, but sometimes it is even $xxxx.
How to find 80+ quality potential buyers? Well, do your due diligence before you take a domain which you plan to flip.

•••
One thing I have learned, outbound marketing works, the fine print though is that it takes a lot of time and the results simply are not worth all that time.

I found myself thinking, is this a profitable business if all I am being told is to buy names that have value and sit on them until someone (hopefully an end user) comes with an inbound offer. This frustrated me and then I went back to the basics of supply and demand. The only way to be profitable is to get domains that are high in demand. If you keep playing the guessing game it just won't work.

So to connect this to your question, buying domains people actually want will take care of the problem of where to find end users or buyers in general because now you will get a ton of offers due to the high demand of the domain. Not only that but you have the option to put it up at an auction site knowing it will sell for a good profit.

- Will

•••
I agree, with the smaller businesses it would definately help, and also to keep it clear as possible. No talk about SERP's and that kind of abrevations.

Can you imagine the look on the face of that elderly old woman selling flowers in her little store asking her husband with a screeky voice ''Joe what in *&%^$ name is a SERP??'' :lol:

Joe - Oh that's another word for serpent *shrug*

Elderly woman - :o My god are they trying to sell us a snake?

Joe - Maybe so, unbelievable.

Email deleted, end of story B-)

For bigger businesses i would definately keep it short and to the point as Wanda has described before.

•••
Since this thread's sat stagnant for a while, I thought I'd chip in with domain name asking price ranges that I've found encompass the maximum amount end-users are typically willing to pay for a domain, given the type of end-user and their corresponding website:

* Individual, personal site (e.g. small-time blog, personal homepage, small band, non-commercial art gallery): $75-$125
* Individual, academic/information-sharing site (e.g. papers/journals, small-time books, message boards, blogs with 50-100 daily viewers): $100-$200
* Small/mid-sized non-profit: $150-$300
* Individual business/small family business/money-making hobby: $200-$300
* 2-3 person business: $300-$400
* Small business (3-7 people): $400-$750
* Rising business (7-15 people), non venture-backed: $750-$1500

Above the "rising business" level you're generally free to set an asking price based on the domain's inherent properties (is it easy to remember, its keywords frequently searched on Google, etc.)

Within the price ranges described above, you should at least consider the factors in determining whether to gravitate towards the upper or lower bound:

* Relevance to Business: If the domain isn't the business's name (.com), a type of product the business produces / service it offers, or a concept directly relevant to the business's core mission, don't bother pitching it to that business at all.
* Quality of Business's Current Domain: If the business you're pitching SunshineTrading.com to is called Sunshine Trading but they already own Sunshine.com, chances are they'll either ignore your e-mail or lowball you. But if their current domain is SunsT66.net, you've got a ballgame.
* Size of Business - Employee Count: Sometimes the company will lists its employees on its site, or you can look up this count on Manta.com (though their figure is way off sometimes).
* Size of Business - User Base: Use DomainTools' whois to look up Alexa rank, Compete.com rank, and whether the group boasts a DMOZ listing.
* Business Longevity: How long has the business ben active for? Check to whois or "About Us" page to determine the group's longevity.
* Portion of Revenue Stemming from Online Sales and Publicity: Larger => higher price, obviously.
* Quality of Website Design: This factor typically correlates with the one above and illustrates how passionate the underlying business feels about creating an attractive presence on web, both through soft graphics that go easy on the eyes and a concise, descriptive domain name that's facile on the user's memory.
* Type of Business: Is it high-capital or low-key? My most pleasantly-surprising sales have been to companies focusing on software technology, "cultural creatives", and entrepreneurship. My most disappointing have been to doctors, religious organizations, record labels, and rurally-based businesses. The latter types tend to be largely unacquainted with the importance of owning generic domain name.
* Recent Growth Patterns: Is the business thriving or dying? This factor can be hard to gather, but Alexa/Compete.com trends and news headlines pertaining to that business may provide evidence in either direction.
* Seasonal/Market Trends: Are you contacting a landscaping company during peak season (late Spring) or off-season (Fall/Winter)? Are you selling a luxury home community its name when the real estate market is strong or weak? Numerous studies have found that the most incisively distinguishing factor between people with high IQs and low IQs is their ability (or lack thereof) to analyze a situation from many viewpoints. Put yourself in the CEO of that landscaping company's shoes and imagine how much you would be willing to pay for the domain you're selling him. You would probably care much more whether the current season was spring or winter than whether the domain's whois "Creation Date" read 1996 or 2005.

If you're selling to an individual, try to gather which financial tier he/she stands on. College students are usually willing to pay up to $75 for (their name).com domains, whereas upper-middle class working adults often have no problem dishing out $200 for the same domain.

This sums up my personal experience, and I welcome others to paint theirs on this thread's canvas.

Last edited:
•••
Here's my tips:
* Keep your initial e-mail short and to the point. Do not specify a price. Just ask them to let you know if they are interested in the domain.
* Send emails to 20-30 potential end-users. I find that I get 1 response per 10 e-mails. Anything more means you got a hot domain!
* Not specifiying a price means that the end-user must e-mail you to say they are interested. Now, you have a name and maybe even some contact info from the signature like telephone number and position.
* Specify a price in your reply. Add a few benefits as to why they should buy the domain.
* Doublecheck your asking price with prices of similar domains at BuyDomains.com. Check recent sales for similar domains at NameBio or DnSalesPrice.com.
* Let your response perk for a few days then send a reminder e-mail.
* If they reply within 24 hours, it's a good sign they will buy.
* If they don't reply after a week, they probably wrote you off.
* Send e-mails out Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
* Sometimes people forget and then out of the blue six months later you get an e-mail from them. Those types buy very quickly.

I'll edit this post if I remember some more tips. Best of luck.

•••
Keep sending out those emails! I've had some interest this week and have three small (low $xxx) sales pending.

Interesting note, make of it what you will: All three sales have come when I included a price in the first email. Again, these aren't big sales (great ROI regardless), but if you're only expecting low $xxx for a name it might be worth including a price! Otherwise people might assume you're another of those greedy domainers wanting half a million dollars for every one of their domains. ;)

One of the buyers responded 8 minutes after my initial email this morning saying that he wanted it for my asking price. One hour later, the domain is in his possession (if I'm comfortable with the buyer I often push the domain as soon as I have their details) and forwarding to his site. Fixed prices sometimes make ya wonder if you could've bargained for more, but I'll take a 22000% ROI any day! :sold: The buyer's happy too which is always a plus. UPDATE: The domain was sold to a radio show duo, and they're already proudly announcing their new domain on air and on their FB page. My domain definitely passed the ole "radio test" better than their old one!

buyer said:
All transactions in life should be this straightforward.
Again, thanks for contacting me.

It's good to hear positive feedback instead of the usual "you are the scum of the earth" for once LOL

Last edited:
•••
advice

I get this all the time buddy,
eg,

"stop spamming me" , "rip off" " f off"
"I will pay £2" " I will forward your email to the police"

I expect this from some people and so should you. Not everyone out there is polite but I NEVER respond to such emails, you will

be surprised some of these companies will come back in a few weeks after speaking with their SEO expert with "

the domain still available"? You never know what mood the person who reads your email is in. He might have just

argued with his wife or pissed off about something else at that moment in time so always do not take it personal and

NEVER reply keep your cool. Keeping cool has has sold me a few domains even to the rude replies. NEVER let it

bring you down EVER! we just have to take these bumps as we go along

Good luck.

got my first negative reply today of "get a job!" lol

Last edited:
•••
don't complain.
posting hundreds of email templates, how to find endusers, hundreds of blogs telling everyone out there (member or not, active or not, intelligent or dumb, basically anyone can read all this stuff) how to spam the hell out of google advertisers, encouraging all the noobs to write thousands of emails on hand....... then complaining why you also receive emails from noobs.

domainers are funny.

either make this and similar threads exclusive to those who have a functioning brain and/or have posted some useful stuff, or stop complaining. i receive many emails with the exact templates and recommandations written in this thread offering me the ugliest domain names you have ever seen in your life. and i don't advertise anywhere or am publicly lot visible. so you can imagine how many emails companies get. soon you wont be able to sell anything to endusers, not even names which would be really beneficial for them, because they have enough of "domainers" after receiving 1000s of spam mails with useless domains.

sharing is good. thats the whole concept of a forum.
but this is becoming a domain industry self-destructing kind of sharing.
you wont find anything similar in other industries. they are not stupid like we are.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you, I already did this - but I was wondering if I did this wrong.

My email:

Subject: ComputerUpgrade.info is for sale!

Body:
Hello,

I am contacting your company today because I have the domain ComputerUpgrade.info available for sale for $250. I have the domain listed at Sedo and it can be purchased by following the link below:

https://sedo.com/search/details.php4?domain=computerupgrade.info

Best Regards,
Ruzeen

+1 xxx-xxx-xxxx
Plus94.com

3 things here are not so good:
1 - in the subject line and in the content you have 'for sale', and many people and email progs set their spam filters to filter out any emails with 'for sale' in them because they're almost always spam. Just type the keywords 'Computer Upgrade' in the subject, and you can say 'I'm selling' in the content. Stay away from 'for sale'.
Some members say to include the domain in the subject (computerupgrade.info) as opposed to just the keywords (computer upgrade), but I've found no difference in responses. However I always only write the keywords now (though have tried the other a lot) because with the domain looks spammy to me.
2 - you have a link to your Sedo sale page in content; many filters are set to treat incoming emails with links, from people/strangers not on the contacts list, as spam.
3 - it's a dot.info you're selling. It's true that many domainers still deal in dot.info but most of us don't touch them any more, except a few who have real premium .info's and have a gift for selling them. Most of John Q Public have no idea what a dot.info is, so your response rate is going to be much less than if you're selling a dot.com. You'll often simply get no responses at all when selling a dot.info unless it's super premium.
*Note that super premium for a dot.info is different for a dot.com. For example any decent LLL.com is premium, but LLL.info are not, they're selling for average of mid xx. LeatherPurse.com would be premium, LeatherPurse.info is not. For .info to be premium, it has to be fantastic. Anything less than fantastic in .info is a real hard sell. Like I say, some domainers seem to have a knack of selling non-premium .info's, but they are ones who have a solid .info-selling plan, put in hard and smart work, and seem to have 'the knack'. Most of us don't. I've never sold a .info to an end user and have given up trying, and don't deal with them any more :) But a few domainers here seem to have the knack and do moderately well selling them.
However, your domain I'd have to say is valueless in .info. Nice in dot.com but practically impossible to sell in .info, IMO.

On the issue of using freemail vs realmail, I've tried both extensively. I have a realmail account and a Yahoo account; I have seen no noticeable difference in the response rates from end users, having sent probably thousands of emails from each over the years. Others here might find different results but for me the response rates have been similar for both.

As for the emails being sent back to you as non-deliverable, I find this quite common. So many non-domainers who have regged a domain for their business, or have hired a webmaster to do so, don't update their website or whois when they change email addresses. When I email end users for my dot.com's I expect roughly 1 out of every 10 or 15 to return to me as undeliverable. Even seemingly well-developed websites/businesses have obsolete email addies on their contact pages. Strange but true. I can't explain why you'd receive a higher number of returns like that, unless it's because there are so many fly-by-nighters in the genre you're contacting that they have a high turnover of websites, businesses, domains, and are constantly letting go of old biz models, creating new ones, and not bothering to update the older abandoned sites with new email addies.
It is surprising to me how many sites I'll go to, even sites that look like they're actively selling product and making bookings via their contact page... and their emails return to both my freemail and realmail accounts as 'undeliverable.

•••
@ultradog

I find that I get the most attention by putting one of the prospect's domains in the subject field, usually phrases as "Whatever.tld and Related Domains." Experience has shown me that people are much more likely to be interested in news/questions/propositions that relate to their own businesses.

This ties into an important point about how my e-mails are phrased: My e-mails almost invariably begin with listing the domain from the subject and one or two other domains that the prospect owns, plus (if applicable) some demonstration of my understanding of why they own those domains. I'm talking about their company, not mine; I'm showing a certain knowledge of their success, not going on about who I am and what I want. While this may seem like a bit of self-help-seminar nonsense, I have found it to be a tremendously effective icebreaker for e-mail marketing.

Frank

•••
Ok. I would like a straight up answer from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Should you reach out to end-users or not? Simple enough question.

I have had so many people tell me that domains don't sell themselves anymore and you MUST go out and find potential end-users.

On the other hand I am hearing more and more of people saying NOT to reach out to end-users because it's SPAM.. I personally feel that if the person your emailing could legitimately benefit from your name then it's not really spam.

Those that say that good names sell themselves are only partly right, because that is not always the case. In many cases, it takes an email to inform an end-user that a domain he did not know was for sale is in fact ready to be acquired and that his business would greatly benefit from acquring it.

When sending emails to potential end-users, there are several things to consider. I am not an attorney, but as long as you comply with the anti-spam legislation requirements, which includes not disguising your identity, puting your contact information and allowing the recipient the possibility of unsubscribing from your emails, you are not doing something illegal.

Now, there are people who object emailing potential buyers, not on the basis of the legality of doing so, but on ethical grounds, but that is a different matter.

The truth is that if you have the type of names that would sell between $250 and $1000, for example, certain City+Service or City+Product names, waiting for offers may mean never selling them. So, you must make a choice.

Even more valuable names sometimes require approaching people. Now, having said that, I honestly prefer the passive approach and have used a proactive approach only when I realized I had no choice.

I have sold a substantial number of geo names that fall under the above-mentioned category and sold many of those as a result of contacting end-users one by one. But some time ago I started buying more valuable names due in part precisely to the fact that sending emails to potential clients is not something I enjoy.

Last edited:
•••
@vasilisgr

Here's an idea you may find helpful... and a great way to "get your feet" wet without losing your shirt...

1. Pick a random service business (ex: restaurant, plumber, electrician, lawn maintenance, etc).

2. For conversation, let's say you picked "lawn mowing & maintenance services". Now create a list of 50-100 "lawn maintenance services" that are within 100 miles of your home. Include in your list the owners name (Decision Maker), phone number, and email.

3. Hand register 3-5 catchy .com's for $10 each ($50 max budget) that you think would be terrific names for a local "lawn maintenance service" company.

4. Call or email each of the 50-100 services on your list and try to sell them one of your .com's for $150.

Bottom line...

- Yes, this is time consuming.
- Yes, this is only $100 profit for your time (if you succeed).
- Yes, your time is valuable.
- But... the initial $50 investment will be a TERRIFIC learning experience for you and you will have some insight to what these business owners "really" care about. THAT insight is gold and well worth the inital $50 investment.

Once you sell (1) domain... repeat... repeat... repeat... (each time harnessing your industry knowledge for more profits)

Are they tech savvy. You may be surprised to find out that while they may not use all the latest technologies in their service business, they are extremely bright entrepreneurs who want to find ways to grow their service business. Someone who digs dirt all day is just as driven as someone who went to Uni.

Are you a failure if you do not sell at least (1) of the initial 3-5 .coms? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I believe you made a great investment by trying to gain industry insight and experience. If you decide not to go any further with domaining, that initial $50 was alot less expensive than getting excited and spending $1,000 on a bunch of trash domains that you later drop because you don't have a sales channel established or an understanding of what sells in a specific industry sector.

I hope you succeed. I bought many domains (purchasing side) before having a clue to the sales side of the equation (income side).

When I started I read every post I could find online... and spent 80-100 hours staring at my computer monitor. Forums are a great starting point, and I fully recommend reading every one of the 126 pages of this thread. (extremely insightful)

But... nothing sharpens your skills faster... than a little coin (skin) in the game. I am not saying to run out and spend your child's tuition money. I'm suggesting dipping your toe into the pool to test the temperature, before diving in.

The $50 initially spent may seem trivial to many, but to someone just starting out, it will be a great training investment.

I hope this gives you a low cost way to learn, without burning through a lot of "guesswork" capital... (been there, done that, wife wasn't impressed) (after a few sales, a few months later, she smiled and bought some furniture for the house)

Regards,

-Jim

Last edited:
•••
My favorite way to find end users is to stand on a street corner with a sign around my neck that reads -

"Domains For Sale, Cheap"

I have not made any sales this way though - don't know why? :laugh:

•••
Last edited:
•••
It's been while since I've posted here but I still lurk in the shadows to read now and then. I started like many investing in a few cheap domains then flipping then focusing on trying to sell to end users. I always made it easy for a buyer to contact me be that a good holding page or if the domain was parked it was with somewhere that had a buy now/communication box to make contact.

Eventually I became much more pro-active at contacting traditional endusers actual small businesses to large corporations 4 figure sales became entry 5 figure then 6 figure sales. However I soon decided to expand my company(at this point it was no longer a hobby for extra cash) to brokering with a small team I had under me and we help others close 6-8 figure deals and for the most part I do the majority of the leg work. So I hope those reading will understand this is no rookie advice.

I feel it's very wise to make yourself seem professional as possible when reaching out to endusers. If you treat the sale of your domain with the integrity and respect it deserves more often then not you will get it back even if it's just a one line response.
While I can't share all tactics I can mention the basics. Your emails should be short and to the point. Introduce yourself briefly and then the domain and the price. Feel free to mention if other parties have been contacted or even state you'd like a response even if its for them to say "not interested" many will do that.

Leave contact details of yourself in a signature in the email preferably with a contact number too.
It's always good to look for a companies CEO, CFO, Markerting Director/Manager, CTO/IT Manager and if the company is very large look for their General Counsel/IP Lawyer and message the highesr ranking person and CC the others 4 people max(including the main) these are the targets you should hit up.
Avoid "for sale" in your email subject or the price. " urgent: bla.com " can work well. Don't sound "spammy" in your email. Be Confident, Firm like this is just another day and the sale isn't that important to you if THEY buy you just want them to know.

Zoominfo, Domaintools, Linkedin and Mailtester.com will become your best bookmarked friends and that's just the start there are many other ways to find your marks.

One of them will read it and pass it on tho who needs to deal with a transaction like this or they may simply ignore it and not reply. Move on if there's never a reply within 1.5 weeks you can always state you need a reply within 5 business days if there is ANY interest in the email to stop "waiting".

Be firm with your asking price. Large companies are generally not scared of seeing a $10k asking price you'd be surprised. If you feel your name is worth $100k REALLY worth it deep down then don't be afraid to state it just make it clear you are open to counter offers if you are fishing for any offer. If they want it you'll know. They may indeed haggle but if you've inflated the price enough you'll have room to get what you wanted.

Don't get greedy unless you don't need the sale/money then feel free to play but know they can walk and never return.

Don't ignore any inquiry you get for your domains even if it starts low unless it's an appraisal scam. You'd be surprised how many emails that start with a $500 offer can turn into $300k with a little investigation and actually taking the time to reply. Working with a lot of investors with killer portfolios I know all too well how often they are tired of "fake buyers" that they ignore offers presuming them the same routine unless it mentions high figures. THAT is a mistake, you should treat every bidder with respect and politely decline and set them straight on what YOU want. You have no idea who they are or what they can REALLY offer.
If your domain is not WIPO bait then you can be "open to serious offers in x range".

Be prepared to move some deals to calls. Know what you are talking about because often they wont have a clue how a domain sale goes down apart from the fact at some point money is exchanged and so is a domain. Escrow for anything over $1500 imo unless you trust the buyer to use other methods of payment.

Be prepared to help buyers with transferring and payment process with step by step instructions if they are clueless.

I like a post someone else said about ideal times to email. Many staff members at companies get flooded by emails daily. Aim for their morning reads. Avoid contacting places on Friday you'll more than often be forgotten about. Mon-Wed is ideal.

The truth that needs to be said is many here are not cut out to ever hit it big selling domains. You need to take the time to go to that next level. I've read posts now and then on someone involved in this industry for 10+ yrs and they've never sold a domain over $2000. I and others did that in their first few sales within a few months and that was the start and we wanted more and we got it. We didn't stick with buying $20 names and hoping to flip for $500 (which is still great I wont take that away from you) but eventually you realise those names you see selling for 6 figures in DNjournal weren't bought for a few dollars. Not anymore.

Some of you will get lucky though. The few who spent under 1000 will get a lucky 5 figure deal or more randomly. It does happen.

Eventually you have to get your feet wet and spend a few grand on something you KNOW you got for a steal. Spending $5k on a name you know can get $50k for any day of the week and to some that's a tall order. To much of a risk.

So you play it safe or maybe all you can afford is a $100 to invest in a name and you hope to get $1k-5k and be content and you have your main 9-5 and again that's fine but if you want more then you need to see what the big boys are willing to do and what they're often willing to lose because you can lose.. badly.

Often you will need thick skin. I have been called a vulture , a thief, a crook by those who don't understand what you're doing.. "domains are $10 scammer" You can argue or just link them a dnjournal year to date top public sales and a polite reply that you'll stick with your crazy industry for your dignity. Keep it professional in my opinion and then move on never reply again to the next potential buyer. Often the person insulting COULD actually come back after mulling it over what's sad is sometimes these can be the actual CEO's. It's OK though I'll still take their money if they change their mind we're not here to be friends.

Don't let anyone get you down not even me. However if you've been in this game a long time and you're not making money or you need to copy someones methods word for word and can't have it fit your own style and your not in the black year in year out with your domains? Then consider stepping out of the game for your own good.

Good Luck. I mean that.
This is rich content. I am more determined to make it work in the do.ain industry despite being at my early stage

•••
Difficulty = Opportunity

While targeting end users is difficult, there are many end users that need our help.

If we (as domainers) think it is difficult for us to find good names to sell, then can you imagine how difficult it is for end users to find good names as they don't have access to (or haven't found yet) the variety of tools we use to source names. Plus, finding good names at a reasonable price is even more difficult.

And herein lies the opportunity for us.

This is a terrific thread. I have read the entire 3,370 posts on this thread and reflecting it seems like much of the conversation is centered around outbound emailing as a way to find potential buyers. I anticipate that most of the emails being sent are ignored by potential buyers and viewed as spam these days.

Lately I have been focusing more on a content marketing strategy and have been building a group of lead capture sites that funnels (pre-qualified) leads to my sales landing pages.

My thought is that the more I pre-qualify a lead, the better the opportunity the landing page will provide results.

It seems to be working which is why I am expanding and building out more seed sites to capture more "buyer intent" traffic to my landing pages. "Rinse & Repeat" seems to be working.

It is like affiliate marketing for your own product (domains).

Has anyone else built this type of funnel for their personal use?

Last edited:
•••
I am modifying a previous outbound email letter by inserting the colored sentence below which replaces a former sentence. I find this replacement great but since I am not an English native speaker, I would like to know your opinion about it and what changes should I make if this is not proper English. I am particularly in doubt if the expression "top administrators" is adequate in this context. However, any suggestions for improving also other parts of this letter model will be appreciated. If the text is already perfect, please let me know as well.

Hello,
I am John Taylor, owner of the domain name: SomeDomain.com.
I am contacting you and also the top administrators of other companies for which this domain name is highly valuable and can make a big impact on their business or activities.
Should your organization have an interest in acquiring this domain, please feel free to contact me.
You can contact me through:
Email: [email protected]
or
Tel: 00-00000000

My best regards,
John

Don't mention you're contacting others. Make them feel like you saw their name and just instantly thought it was the perfect name just for them. I would completely gloss over what you wrote as just being spam. Domain owners get overly formal emails all the time that all look similar to this and the methods to contact you is almost twice as many lines as the part about why they should contact you which makes it seem like minimal effort (also they have your email so you don't have to type it out haha).

Mention something about their company specifically (yes, it's extra effort, but 10 emails that reference the company and how they specifically could benefit from the name is so much better than 50 emails that are all the same.

Maybe try something more like:

Hi,
I'm the owner of the domain name SomeDomain.com and I just wanted to contact you first before putting it on the market because like it perfectly accompanies TheirSomeDomain.com because here is the reason why, and could definitely go some ways to increasing your brand recognition and "make sure you maitain that top search position" or "help out a lot in climbing those search engine rankings!".

It would be great to hear back from you, I'm always available by email or you can also contact me at 00-0000000.

Have a great day/week/weekend
Your name

- Also I know bolding the font was probably just for the on here like the coloured parts but just in case, that can also make it look pretty spammy as people don't naturally bold their emails.

•••
A little more time intensive, but has worked for me is any forum that I'm a member of that is targeted to a topic, I put the domain names that match the topic in my sig with a "for sale" note.
-Allan

•••
just find a domain thats got nearly the same keywoards as your domain and contact your owner and sell it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back