IT.COM

guide How to find PinYin Translations for FREE

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vickyhunter

Domain SpiderEstablished Member
Impact
Since many people are still not aware of this, I am creating a separate thread to share the secret ! This may help many of you who what to decipher the Chinese Pinyin meaning(s) for your short liquid domains.

GOOGLE can Translate Chinese PinYin words into English words, so that you can be aware of what you own and filter good domains from not so good ones (Remember, no Chinese premium is bad! :xf.wink:) . This might aid not just to a better understanding but also in enhancing your sales !

Here is the link -

https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/

(Eg: type in TTYSS in the left box, it translates to 'Daily Diet' on the right side)

Although I don't think it is 100% accurate, it still gives you a fair idea and is a very useful free tool. You should also understand that it is partly user contributed and hence there may be errors.

Last word of advice. If you hit upon an excellent keyword, I would suggest you take a second opinion with the Chinese experts here in the forum.

Towards better domaining.

Cheers,
V

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Since many people are still not aware of this, I am creating a separate thread to share the secret ! This may help many of you who what to decipher the Chinese Pinyin meaning(s) for your short liquid domains.

GOOGLE can Translate Chinese PinYin words into English words, so that you can be aware of what you own and filter good domains from not so good ones (Remember, no Chinese premium is bad! :xf.wink:) . This might aid not just to a better understanding but also in enhancing your sales !

Here is the link -

https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/

(Eg: type in TTYSS in the left box, it translates to 'Daily Diet' on the right side)

Although I don't think it is 100% accurate, it still gives you a fair idea and is a very useful free tool. You should also understand that it is partly user contributed and hence there may be errors.

Last word of advice. If you hit upon an excellent keyword, I would suggest you take a second opinion with the Chinese experts here in the forum.

Towards better domaining.

Cheers,
V
Very interesting. Thank you.

In the example you gave, TTYSS, I assume this is an acronym, since these are not pinyin syllables. Does Google recognize it is an acronym, and translate as such? Or is it approximating the meaning of TTYSS read as a word, or words?

Last edited:
•••
When I typed in TTYSS I got TTYSS in the right box nothing about daily diet.

•••
When I typed in TTYSS I got TTYSS in the right box nothing about daily diet.

Click on the link, it's set for PinYin translation. If you go directly to Google translate, you will have to modify settings or won't see translation.

- V

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 199
•••

Looks like lowercase matters Vicky, when I looked at your screenshot I saw you used all lowercase, I had all caps and that was the problem. Thank you

•••
Looks like lowercase matters Vicky, when I looked at your screenshot I saw you used all lowercase, I had all caps and that was the problem. Thank you

You are right. It looks like it matters in the mobile site. Thanks!

•••

Attachments

• pinyintranslate.jpg
    pinyintranslate.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 229
•••
So I see my XZJC means Executive Decision

•••
according with this tool FZQT means Future Development. Should be not bad ;)

i've also noticed if i enable the icon "immission method" is possible to select several chinese mandarin choices for the same Pinyin name.
Is this correct?
it is what i suppose as i do not know chinese..

•••
Thank you for this, I have used google translator many times but honestly I was not aware that it can work like this. Thanks @vickyhunter

•••
So I see my XZJC means Executive Decision
Or Xinzheng Airport. (The Zhengzhou Xinzheng International Airport is more likely to be referred to as the Zhengzhou Airport though).

•••
interesting.how accurate is it.just typed mqze = mother

•••
•••
Very interesting. Thank you.

In the example you gave, TTYSS, I assume this is an acronym, since these are not pinyin syllables. Does Google recognize it is an acronym, and translate as such? Or is it approximating the meaning of TTYSS read as a word, or words?

Yup, definitely its an acronym :xf.wink:

For example,

DN may stand for Domain Names

But, in chinese:
DN may stand for Diannao (means Computer)

IMHO :xf.smile:

•••
•••
•••
This has probably been covered before!
Screen_Shot_2015_11_11_at_10_21_32.png

•••
How about 小赚聚财 (make small profit, accumulate fortune)?

Well see I don't know if you are saying it means that why is the Google Pinyin translator telling me Executive Decision ?

I put in just the letter r it said Japan

Below it added these:

Translations of 日
noun

day
日, 天, 日子, 白天, 昼, 旦

date
日期, 日, 约会, 日子, 枣, 枣树

Japan
日本, 日

Sun

adjective

Japanese
日本, 日, 倭

Cool tool but I am more confused using it because I can't find anything to back up the meaning or double check.it someplace else.

•••
Just a heads up, while google translator works well, not all pinyin google will translate to a "character" or "english word" actually means that in chinese. Some characters cannot stand alone by themselves, but most follow a second character in order to actually make that word mean something, yet google will still show a single character as the (root meaning)..

example: (just one of the top of my head however there is better examples)

x could be Xiè 谢 (Thank(s)) but 谢 isn't ever used by itself it is only used as 谢谢 (xiexie) in order to actually be the grammatically correct way to say (Thank you) the chinese will ever say it more then twice but multiple times, xiexiexiexie 谢谢谢谢.... to show just how thankful. But it is not used alone

Just some food for thought :)

•••
Just a heads up, while google translator works well, not all pinyin google will translate to a "character" or "english word" actually means that in chinese. Some characters cannot stand alone by themselves, but most follow a second character in order to actually make that word mean something, yet google will still show a single character as the (root meaning)..

example: (just one of the top of my head however there is better examples)

x could be Xiè 谢 (Thank(s)) but 谢 isn't ever used by itself it is only used as 谢谢 (xiexie) in order to actually be the grammatically correct way to say (Thank you) the chinese will ever say it more then twice but multiple times, xiexiexiexie 谢谢谢谢.... to show just how thankful. But it is not used alone

Just some food for thought :)

Yeah I did notice that when I put in some triple letters like PPP the translation was PPP but SSS translated to Thirty. qq was just qq no translation but qa was translated to Go.

•••
Yeah I did notice that when I put in some triple letters like PPP the translation was PPP but SSS translated to Thirty. qq was just qq no translation but qa was translated to Go.
Yeah. Google is great, but even with my few years of learning Mandarin I noticed translations can come out funny.

So i wouldn't suggest anyone to market the domain (as a certain meaning) unless you know for sure it is translated correctly... as it could have a great meaning (there is so many chinese characters that can be combined into great words, phrases or sentences), but if your marketing a poor translation it will make you look uneducated.

Another tip though is to just turn on the pinyin keyboard (I'm on a mac, not sure on a pc but i know there is free software).

When I'm inputing pinyin it just pops up with the available characters for me to use. Almost like a "predictive text".

If you don't know Chinese (which honestly one of the hardest languages i have ever attempted to learn) then adding that keyboard, along with using google could increase your chances of a better translation :)

•••
Yeah. Google is great, but even with my few years of learning Mandarin I noticed translations can come out funny.

So i wouldn't suggest anyone to market the domain (as a certain meaning) unless you know for sure it is translated correctly... as it could have a great meaning (there is so many chinese characters that can be combined into great words, phrases or sentences), but if your marketing a poor translation it will make you look uneducated.

Another tip though is to just turn on the pinyin keyboard (I'm on a mac, not sure on a pc but i know there is free software).

When I'm inputing pinyin it just pops up with the available characters for me to use. Almost like a "predictive text".

If you don't know Chinese (which honestly one of the hardest languages i have ever attempted to learn) then adding that keyboard, along with using google could increase your chances of a better translation :)
I've a mac too, do you mean add the keyword in the os x? Or inside the Google translate?
Thanks

•••
I've a mac too, do you mean add the keyword in the os x? Or inside the Google translate?
Thanks

Well i use pinyin to type all lately, so i have turned it on in my settings on my mac so i can quickly switch between pinyin and english keyboard input.

Preferences>Keyboard>Input Source> "+" Bottom left hand corner > Pinyin - simplified (I learned simplified and it is the standard in china. However I believe Hong Kong uses "Traditional" and a few other surrounding countries). But other then dialects such as (Mandarin vs Cantonese for example) then pinyin is still the same with traditional or simplified characters

•••
Took just a few tries to get the operational method of the translation system and it will be a useful tool. thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back