IT.COM

tips How to find domain names that actually sell ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohit Singhania

MyDailyDomains.comTop Member
Impact
Hi guys, I am new to domain flipping. I have not made any sale till date.
I have a domain name which I am trying to sell. I have it listed on godaddy as well as Sedo. But, I can see that no one is looking at my domain name.

Can you guys tell me how to find domain names that actually sell ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How much can a domain name like

Moneyalmighty.com

get me ? What price should I set as start bid price ?

•••
Well you need to look at what sells first, then you'll know what to buy :)
But it's not going to be easy. Pretty much anything that has value has been registered long ago.
Anything that is still available usually is for a reason. If nobody would pick the name for $10 ask yourself what are the odds you will be able to sell it for much more, even provided you wait a few years.
Welcome to NP.

•••
Well you need to look at what sells first, then you'll know what to buy :)
But it's not going to be easy. Pretty much anything that has value has been registered long ago.
Anything that is still available usually is for a reason. If nobody would pick the name for $10 ask yourself what are the odds you will be able to sell it for much more, even provided you wait a few years.
Welcome to NP.

Thanks Katie for your honest answer.

I hope if I wait for a month or so, I will get good bids on this domain name.

GODADDY valuates this name at $1215. Is there any accuracy in these type of valuations ?

•••
I hope if I wait for a month or so, I will get good bids on this domain name.
You gotta be patient, it can take years before an interested end user shows up. This is a patience game, but it works only for the good names. Bad names will remain unsold no matter how long you wait.

GODADDY valuates this name at $1215. Is there any accuracy in these type of valuations ?
Not at all. Did you think it would be that easy ?

•••
You gotta be patient, it can take years before an interested end user shows up. This is a patience game, but it works only for the good names. Bad names will remain unsold no matter how long you wait.

Not at all. Did you think it would be that easy ?

Ok, I just want to ask your opinion about this domain name . Do u think it's a good or a bad domain name ?? What do u think it will go for ?

•••
I have it listed on godaddy as well as Sedo. But, I can see that no one is looking at my domain name.
For me Sedo started to work only after I activated SedoMLS, after that I started to recieve "looking" and had few sales.

Do u think it's a good or a bad domain name ?? What do u think it will go for ?
Its hard to say, IMHO its not stellar name but most of my sales were "average" names and I sold them on Sedo for low $ XXX. Same names I trided to sell here on Namepros for $20-$30 range and no one wanted them, so go figure! :xf.smile: Obviously you'll need to wait for right buyer to come along. Good luck.

•••
IMO it's a typical regfee domain. There may be lots of possible alternatives on the market or even available to be registered. Ask yourself if as an end user, you would make an offer on this domain, or like everybody else you would try to find another domain name ?

•••
One thing most people don't realize when they start domaining is that you can only expect a 1-3% sell through rate on average to endusers. (and that is with decent names)

So, if you are holding 100 domains - you might sell 1 to 3 of them in a year. (or none)

If you are holding 10 domains it could take 10 years to sell 1 at this rate... Yet a lot of people expect to buy a few domains and then don't understand why they haven't sold any in a month.

Then factor in what people are mentioning above - quality matters - and your sell through rate would probably be lower...

Just something for new domainers to think about... I think if most knew this from the start they would approach domaining differently.

Last edited:
•••
IMO it's a typical regfee domain. There may be lots of possible alternatives on the market or even available to be registered. Ask yourself if as an end user, you would make an offer on this domain, or like everybody else you would try to find another domain name ?

I think you are right, only way to make a decent sale maybe to make a website around it and get some traffic. What do u think ?

•••
One thing most people don't realize when they start domaining is that you can only expect a 1-3% sell through rate on average to endusers. (and that is with decent names)

So, if you are holding 100 domains - you might sell 1 to 3 of them in a year. (or none)

If you are holding 10 domains it could take 10 years to sell 1 at this rate... Yet a lot of people expect to buy a few domains and then don't understand why they haven't sold any in a month.

Then factor in what people are mentioning above - quality matters - and your sell through rate would probably be lower...

Just something for new domainers to think about... I think if most knew this from the start they would approach domaining differently.

In this way, there will be loss instead of making any profit with this business.

•••
In this way, there will be loss instead of making any profit with this business.
Money can be made, but you need to think on a larger scale and better quality.

A lot of people do lose money in domains, but many make it as well.

It's all about learning how to navigate these waters, and always being ready to readjust if necessary along the way. Most people spend a good bit on money on their "education" before they start making any profit.

Patience is one of the most important qualities a domainer can have IMO - behind having a good eye for domains and valuations.

•••
Money can be made, but you need to think on a larger scale and better quality.

A lot of people do lose money in domains, but many make it as well.

It's all about learning how to navigate these waters, and always being ready to readjust if necessary along the way. Most people spend a good bit on money on their "education" before they start making any profit.

Patience is one of the most important qualities a domainer can have IMO - behind having a good eye for domains and valuations.

Hi Michael, Thanks for replying so elaborately. Can u recommend some educational materials to learn the craft of this business.

•••
All the education material is right here on NP Bro... Relax...

•••
Hi Michael, Thanks for replying so elaborately. Can u recommend some educational materials to learn the craft of this business.
As Jose said - read everything you can on this site. People have posted a lot of different experiences here - from good to bad - so there is a lot to learn.

While reading - learn to ignore the hype and try to learn lessons from other people's mistakes.

Most importantly - in the end - do not spend more money on domains than you are willing to lose.

Best of luck!

•••
Can you guys tell me how to find domain names that actually sell ?

Every domainer has his/her own idea what is good. Combine that with experience and gut feelings and you will begin to buy better domains...then sales will start.

Although it is true that most all decent one word domains are registered (and the og's that are sitting on them usually want too much) there is plenty to look for.

3 of my last 4 sales were hand regs. All it takes is a little imagination, time, research and sometimes outbound selling and things will happen. Do not expect to get a sale or slam dunk right away. Spend some time here and read until your eyes get blurry. Lots of good info here.

•••
•••
How much can a domain name like

Moneyalmighty.com

get me ? What price should I set as start bid price ?

Hi @Mohit Singhania - Welcome to Namepros and to the exciting world of domaining!

You'll find a wealth of info on the subject right here on NP - My suggestion is that you read, read, and read some more and wait at least 3 months before you hand-register another domain. (In my experience, most of the money new domainers spend during their first year is wasted on worthless names - There is a pretty steep learning curve here...:xf.grin:)

BTW, one of the first things you're going to want to get your arms around is what is a "good" kw and what is not... For instance, the kw "almighty" has a total of two previous sales as listed on Namebio.com. This means there is obviously a very limited market for this term. As a newbie, I suggest you only hand-reg names that have kw's with at least 20-25 previous recent sales. You will find there are VERY few if any of these available for hand-reg - This is a good thing, as it will keep you from registering garbage names while you learn the business!;) )

@Michael M I couldn't agree with you more - Great advice! The "sell thru rate" is a subject very few people seem to talk about, but which is absolutely crucial to understand in order to thrive in domaining. Newbies always think they will sell 50% to 100% of the domains they hand-reg within the first year. (I know I thought the same thing when I started out - Boy was I surprised when I sold one whole domain during my first 12 months!:guilty:) IMHO, this "sell thru rate" should inform everything you do, from budgeting for renewals to domain pricing to portfolio size. Also, I concur that 1-3% for a mid-grade portfolio is pretty standard - If you're selling close to 4-5% you're a super-star in my book!;)

Last edited:
•••
Yes - look at keywords, and think like an end user starting a business - would I want to start my business with an online domain like MoneyAlmighty.com? Try not to pick up domain names unless you see a possible real use for the name. Good luck!

•••
Great thread for beginners ☺️, for the last 5 years I used to pick domain names, sell them as starter websites on Flippa after installing a WordPress blog, Dropshipping Store or whatever depending on the name. Sometimes it sells for $$$, sometimes not, after I realized that domain names who make the difference. As a newbie in domaining, I still read, learn here in the forum, and combine with the tiny experience I got from my past flippa sales. I started to register some domains, later I realized that these are still reg fee domains. So I decided to stop buying and continue learning, here are some :
SellingBike . Com
Hiodd . Com
TopicalFatburner .Com
HairFallOil .Com
Addictronics .Com
HairNailSkin .Com
LifeStyleNail Com
TheFootballPortal .Com
VeryUniqueGifts .Com

•••
I see a lot of Flippa "starter" sites for sale - the profit margins look very small once you add up the domain name reg fee, the share of your website hosting fee, the Flippa listing fee plus the % Flippa keeps on a successful sale. (In addition to the work you have to do to set up the site!)

•••
Thanks guys for so much information on this forum. It's been 10 days since I decided to discover domaining and I have found a great wealth of information right here on this forum . I have been reading day and night and still have a lot to go.

•••
I see a lot of Flippa "starter" sites for sale - the profit margins look very small once you add up the domain name reg fee, the share of your website hosting fee, the Flippa listing fee plus the % Flippa keeps on a successful sale. (In addition to the work you have to do to set up the site!)
I agree, unless you sell at $100 or more,,

•••
Domaining to me is like dating - you show up disheveled with beer on your breath and dirty clothes are you gonna get the date? Probably not. You show up slick and clean shaven, personable, and ready, probably. But you must have "it" or things probably won't materialize. So use the same logic. Get the goods, and the rest will follow as long as you have "it".

Last edited:
•••
@M88e54ik your information is very cool, bro. I got to know some new domains :))

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back