Dynadot

registrars How to check if your domain really was stolen or not?

NameSilo
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Ever had this scary thought your domain has been stolen?

When you own a lot of domains it's hard to keep track.

Lately I've been checking Whois. (It's easier) to check domains I swear I own.

Only to find it's in someone else's account and usually it's at the same registrar I often use

@namesilo
@GoDaddy
@namecheap
@LCN
@Dynadot

It goes without saying the best way to steal a domain is for the thief to push the domain internally. So as to not raise flags.

Domains can be stolen any number of ways. No need to discuss here.

One way that applies to me is email account hacked.

Recently there was a Yahoo database hacked and Yahoo users and emails were dumped.

My email address for my domaining was Yahoo at one point.

Did someone see my Yahoo in that database and stolen my domain via having access to my Yahoo?

How would it work?

They would simply request my password changed. Then quickly go I there and push domains they think are high value or just the ones they need or like to their accounts.

Then delete all emails pertaining to that domain.

What bothers me is when I contact the current registrar about the domain. And ask them if that domain was ever in my account they say no.

Paranoid me never trusts just that.

But don't give up there. The obvious way to check is contact icann and see who has owned the domain in the past . Hopefully they have a record.

I'm doing this now. This would be the last and final resort.

Anyone else have an ideas on how to figure out if your domain was stolen?

And yes I should always on the regular download an Excel sheet of all my domains but some registrar's don't give it. And I forget to download sometimes. So only my fault if I lose a domain to thieves.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Rob Monster isnt this DNProtect.com you were working on?

Last i checked it was in development

but now looks fully operational! it’s free

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Also 2FA is your friend. If the registrar offers it.

•••
Also 2FA is your friend. If the registrar offers it.

Yes 100x yes. Two factor Authentivation (2FA) is one of the best things ypu can do for security. On your email too. I use it on all accounts thst support it online. I prefer using a Yubikey and using thst on sites that support a hardware security key (U2F) based 2FA (side note for @Rob Monster I really wish Epik supported U2F for 2FA) for sites that only support the 6 digit authenticator app code (TOTP) I will then use that. I can even store the most important ones on my Yubikey so you need that to get the codes. I really dislike text message (SMS) based 2FA because if someone gets your phone company to switch your number over to their phone they can get past that.

Also long, random, unique passwords for every site. You can use a reputable password manager to generate and store all your passwords for you. Whatever you do though please, please don't use the password save feature of your browser, that's almost as bad as writing the passwords down in fact it's probably worse because it could be taken from your computer.

As for the question you asked. If you have access to a historical echoes search you can try that. But honestly the best method is to keep good records. Even if it's just a spreadsheet of every buy and every sell.

Last edited:
•••
P
Yes 100x yes. Two factor Authentivation (2FA) is one of the best things ypu can do for security. On your email too. I use it on all accounts thst support it online. I prefer using a Yubikey and using thst on sites that support a hardware security key (U2F) based 2FA (side note for @Rob Monster I really wish Epik supported U2F for 2FA) for sites that only support the 6 digit authenticator app code (TOTP) I will then use that. I can even store the most important ones on my Yubikey so you need that to get the codes. I really dislike text message (SMS) based 2FA because if someone gets your phone company to switch your number over to their phone they can get past that.

Also long, random, unique passwords for every site. You can use a reputable password manager to generate and store all your passwords for you. Whatever you do though please, please don't use the password save feature of your browser, that's almost as bad as writing the passwords down in fact it's probably worse because it could be taken from your computer.

As for the question you asked. If you have access to a historical echoes search you can try that. But honestly the best method is to keep good records. Even if it's just a spreadsheet of every buy and every sell.

With my luck I'll leave my Yubikey at a "sleepover"😉 and the "flavor of the night" will have full access to my accounts lol

•••
P

With my luck I'll leave my Yubikey at a "sleepover"😉 and the "flavor of the night" will have full access to my accounts lol

I keep mine on my keyring.

•••
Just set up 2FA on all my registrar accounts. Thanks for the reminder.

•••
How to check if your domain really was stolen or not?

It's easy.
Just log into your account and if there are not there then they were stolen.

•••
If you ever suspect suspicious activity on your Dynadot account our account managers would be able to help out and investigate that, we'd just need to ask you to contact them at [email protected].

Domains couldn't be pushed or transferred from your Dynadot without the account being unlocked, and we would also log the IP addresses that your accounted had been signed into from, as well as the IP addresses the account had been unlocked from or a domain pushed from.

•••
2FA is vital. I don't seem to be able to add it on Afternic. Is there any way to add it? If not, those with FastTransfer activated are at risk.

•••
2FA is vital. I don't seem to be able to add it on Afternic. Is there any way to add it? If not, those with FastTransfer activated are at risk.

No 2FA at Afternic AFAIK. Perhaps @Joe Styler can comment if it is on their roadmap? I agree it is scary to think if someone gets your AN login they could change the price to something low then buy the domain.

•••
Back