NameSilo

advice How to buy an already registered domain name for someone else?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A friend of mine(not knowledgeable in domaining) asked me to checkout a domain for them that's registered but not in use. I was maybe expecting to get a price by email then let my friend know.

The domain owner wants to sell(gave no price), but want's to talk on phone

1. Do I talk on phone and pretend the domain is for me and negotiate a price?(This includes pretending I have a particular desired use etc and then how would payment work?).

2. Do I talk on phone, but make it clear I'm inquiring for a friend and go from there?

3. Do I simply give them the contact info of my friend(doesn't mind/authenticity), and give them a run through/tips on how to discuss/negotiate a deal?

Looking forward to some great advice as usual.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DO NOT go with #3 if the person you are helping get the domain for really is a friend. Since your friend doesn't know anything about domains the seller might (and usually does) take advantage of that and give them a blown up price.

If I were you I would go with #1 but make sure not to give out too much information as to what t would be used for. If you tell them it's for a business or online store for example, then they might also give a higher price then what they would take for it.

Don't seem overly excited about the name and don't say anything that might lead them to believe that you MUST have that particular name. Tell them that you are shopping around and looking at other options besides their name.

That's my opinion at least and that has always worked well for me in the past.

•••
A friend of mine(not knowledgeable in domaining) asked me to checkout a domain for them that's registered but not in use. I was maybe expecting to get a price by email then let my friend know.

The domain owner wants to sell(gave no price), but want's to talk on phone

1. Do I talk on phone and pretend the domain is for me and negotiate a price?(This includes pretending I have a particular desired use etc and then how would payment work?).

2. Do I talk on phone, but make it clear I'm inquiring for a friend and go from there?

3. Do I simply give them the contact info of my friend(doesn't mind/authenticity), and give them a run through/tips on how to discuss/negotiate a deal?

Looking forward to some great advice as usual.

Act as a broker for your "client". Easiest way to go about it :)

•••
•••
Give them a call, be professional, and be prepared.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back