Dynadot

How to add TXT record in GoDaddy DNS

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
How do I add TXT record in DNS for domain which is registered with GoDaddy? I need it to verify domain ownership at Sedo.

Can't seem to find option to add TXT record in GoDaddy control panel. It is a .net domain currently parked at Bido. Screenshot given below:

0bVLEy1.jpeg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e9tASS9.jpg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just a correction that domain is currently parked at Bodis.

•••
Ok I found out that I needed to use GoDaddy nameservers and now it is showing me the option to add TXT record. This is actually bullshit because on Dynadot I can add TXT record even though domain is parked at Bodis.
Why GoDaddy doesn't allow the same?

•••
Ok I found out that I needed to use GoDaddy nameservers and now it is showing me the option to add TXT record. This is actually bullshit because on Dynadot I can add TXT record even though domain is parked at Bodis.
Yeah a few registrars are shit like that. I think NetSol are the same too.

•••
Yeah a few registrars are shit like that. I think NetSol are the same too.

•••

DNS is delegation based and works with authoritative nameservers that are responsible for your domain. Usually, a provider or registrar can only add TXT records for your domain in the DNS servers they control. It's certainly not strange (or BS as you say) that you have change nameservers to Godaddy first, before you can make such a change.

I'm curious about the case you describe at Dynadot, where you can change TXT records in BODIS nameservers. Are you really using BODIS nameservers, or Dynadot nameservers?

I can imagine a technical solution/cooperation how this can be made possible, but I'd like to know more about this. Can others confirm this? Where can I read more about it?

•••
You may be able to add DNS Records on Dynadot (and other registrars, e.g. Epik) while using BODIS nameservers, but any record that you input there will not be listened to WHILE you're using 3rd party nameservers.

This is useful, for example, when you're changing the nameservers from elsewhere to a registrar that allows you to do that - as you can enter the required DNS Records BEFORE actually changing the nameservers.

•••
You may be able to add DNS Records on Dynadot (and other registrars, e.g. Epik) while using BODIS nameservers, but any record that you input there will not be listened to WHILE you're using 3rd party nameservers.

This is useful, for example, when you're changing the nameservers from elsewhere to a registrar that allows you to do that - as you can enter the required DNS Records BEFORE actually changing the nameservers.

Indeed, this can be very useful when preparing for a domain transfer. Porkbun provides such an option as well. You can change DNS records in Porkbun's DNS before transferring-IN to them. As you say, those nameservers and records will only become authoritative for the domain from the moment the transfer has been finalized.

In the case of @aliweb adding TXT records for verification purposes (not preparing for a transfer), I'm still curious. What nameservers are listed as authoritative for the (parked) domain in question (Dynadot or Bodis?), and in what nameserver is he creating the TXT records for verification purposes? (Dynadot or Bodis?).

Last edited:
•••
There's another option to prove ownership to Sedo.

Disable your domains privacy settings, and email support at Sedo via the email address that is on record as the domains registrant.

Once they have added your domain listing, you can re-enable your privacy settings.

I've done this myself in the past.

•••
remove the domain from sedo
change nameservers to godaddy's
add TXT record
add the domain to sedo

it will take 30minutes for sedo to verify sometimes even less

•••
There's another option to prove ownership to Sedo.

Disable your domains privacy settings, and email support at Sedo via the email address that is on record as the domains registrant.

Once they have added your domain listing, you can re-enable your privacy settings.

I've done this myself in the past.

True. Sending screenshots to security [at] sedo.TLD also helps. You have to provide your Sedo PIN in the email and provide screenshots from your registrar account, and relevant order info for the domain in question.

This is how I do it,

Subject: Proof of ownership - example.com - Sedo account username

Hello Sedo team,

Please find attached two screenshots with proof of ownership for the following domain:

example.com

Sedo account: username
Pin: pincode

Attachments (2x)
Porkbun - example.com - sedo account username - 001.png
Porkbun - example.com - sedo account username - 002.png

Best regards,​

Last edited:
•••
Here are screenshots from Dynadot where I can use nameservers from Bodis and still add TXT record.

iSVHhQR.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
hOSp4r6.jpg

•••
Here are screenshots from Dynadot where I can use nameservers from Bodis and still add TXT record.

iSVHhQR.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
hOSp4r6.jpg

In the first screenshot it says that you are using Dynadot DNS servers. In the second screenshot you change these to Bodis nameservers. In the first screenshot you've added a TXT record, not in the second. You've not yet convinced me.

Last edited:
•••
In the first screenshot it says that you are using Dynadot DNS servers. In the second screenshot you change these to Bodis nameservers. In the first screenshot you've added a TXT record, not in the second. You've not yet convinced me.

That's because 1st screenshot is showing "Dynadot DNS" from that drop down menu where you need to add TXT. In 2nd screenshot I am adding DNS in "Name Servers" option. Here are all the options in that drop down menu.

Tjp135P.jpg

You know what's even more confusing?
When I go to whois.sc to see my domain's detail then it is showing that I am using Dynadot name servers. But when I visit my domain parking page in browser then the hover links are showing words "bodis" in the URL.

•••
How do I add TXT record in DNS for domain which is registered with GoDaddy? I need it to verify domain ownership at Sedo.

Can't seem to find option to add TXT record in GoDaddy control panel. It is a .net domain currently parked at Bido. Screenshot given below:
when i want to list a name on sedo i don't mess with txt records anymore. i just set my nameservers to ns1.sedoparking.com and ns2.sedoparking.com and sedo is fine with that.
0bVLEy1.jpeg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e9tASS9.jpg

•••
That's because 1st screenshot is showing "Dynadot DNS" from that drop down menu where you need to add TXT. In 2nd screenshot I am adding DNS in "Name Servers" option. Here are all the options in that drop down menu.

Tjp135P.jpg

You know what's even more confusing?
When I go to whois.sc to see my domain's detail then it is showing that I am using Dynadot name servers. But when I visit my domain parking page in browser then the hover links are showing words "bodis" in the URL.

If you want, you may DM me the domain name, and I will have a look at how it's currently configured.

•••
As others have said above, you can't add DNS records in GoDaddy because your nameservers point to Bodis. I don't think any registrar will let you add or edit DNS records after you've pointed the nameservers to another platform. Even if they do, the changes will not show up to external services.

If Bodis doesn't have a DNS manager, add your domain there with A/CNAME records instead of Nameservers.

•••
•••
If you have to do this repeatedly, you can create a re-usable DNS template, or templates, at Godaddy

https://godaddy.com/help/create-a-dns-template-23870

So you create a template with your text record and an A record - the IP address of the service you want to use for parking or lander, then the domain takes you there but the DNS is still set to Godaddy and can be managed at Godaddy.

•••
Back