NameSilo

opinion How Old? Is The Domain AGE a factor that influences your Buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

how really important is for you, the AGE FACTOR when you are buying or pricing a domain name?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, super Important

• Yes, but not so Important anymore

• I Don't know

• No, I don't really care about the age

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dsant

Established Member
Impact
How old?... Hi Guys, with the booming of the Liquid Domains, Short Brand Able .com, and some New Gtlds, how really important is for you, the AGE FACTOR when you are buying or pricing a domain name?

How old?... How really important is for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Age should never really be a factor in domain investing. The only purpose I see for ever searching or filtering domains based on "age" would simply be a strategy play. Good domains tend to be renewed for several years so if you search for domains that have been registered for multiple years then you may find some better names. Other than that, I can't see what the purpose of looking at age would be unless you were doing SEO or development or something else outside of domain investing..

•••
Well for me if the domain is really good then the age doesn't really matter but I would be lying if I said I don't look at the age of some domains when buying some domain names which I think could be targetted at potential buyers who are looking to start up a company.

•••
domains never sleep, always awake

if they did age, they'd be dead in a week

:)

•••
ok but if you have for sample 2 very similar domain names and one, is a 20 Years Old and the other is only 1 Years Old, do you think should have the same value??

•••
ok but if you have for sample 2 very similar domain names and one, is a 20 Years Old and the other is only 1 Years Old, do you think should have the same value??

similar is vague, and often not similar at all, if you saw some of the solicitations I've received.

but each domain has to be valued on it's own.

imo...

•••
I prefer aged domains, but mostly because I try to buy names i plan to develop at some point and it helps me sort through auction listings by filtering for age.

Never had an end user really inquire or seem to care about age though. They also don't care about search numbers.

•••
I generally will look for aged domains since most of the time they were either never available to be bought because they were used OR just held for the right offer.

•••
On my end, the domain name age matters only in cases where your intention is to develop a website with it (SEO purposes) or if you're going to sell it to a SEO end user (keyword "SEO" is a must in this case).

•••
Not relevant are at all. Except the domain is needed for SEO purposes.

•••
so that tells me that you do the same also when you sell your domains?
what if have 2 very similar domain names, but one is a ( 21 Years old) and the other is just 2 years old, based on what you said, would you set the same price level for both?

•••
This is a tricky question with different answers depending on your purposes and how you look at it.

If you are looking to develop or add to a PBN then age could indicate the possibility for backlinks to a site.

But this thinking is not really right because if a domain has not been continuously hosted and has been offline because of deletion and neglected, Google will know and any reserve of SEO juice will likely be greatly diminished or completely gone.

Many people buy these aged domains thinking they can rely on the above only to find they are wrong.

The other way of thinking comes when buying domains for flipping or investing. In many cases age can be an indicator of a good domain because many of the best domain keywords were registered years ago and when they are deleted and back on the market there is a better chance of getting a higher quality domain.

Of course this is not always true as there were many crappy domains registered years ago as well.

A domain should be judged first on the actual words and their value as a domain name on their own. Age is just another factor to use, but not a defining factor.

•••
Age is a great selling point, however if I just drop-caught a great DN where there are multiple companies that use a similar longer name, then it's not going to matter at all.

•••
If....turdsandwich.com was 21yrs old, I wouldn't touch it.
If sandwich.com was a day old, I would eat it up!

The domain itself is more important than the age.

Domains are not like fine wine or cheese.

•••
•••
funny and obvious... but what about the selling side? beside the name quality, do you increase the price of your DN because is a very old domain or no? if yes, how much do you think should be in %?

•••

I thought the turdsandwich thing was pretty funny and relevant. The wine and cheese thing came to me afterwards. I had to do an edit to add it. anywho thanks

•••
do you increase the price of your DN because is a very old domain

Generally, no. Most end users do not care about the age of the domain. It does not even enter their mind.

When selling a domain on Flippa - age seems to be an important factor for some reason, although I don't know why.

•••
funny and obvious... but what about the selling side? beside the name quality, do you increase the price of your DN because is a very old domain or no? if yes, how much do you think should be in %?

No!

Like I said, if it is a fine wine then yes you charge more. Just because it's old doesn't mean that it is good. Yes most of the older domains are good but that is just because you can't get sandwich.com these days. You have to settle for the turdsandwich!

•••
•••
i like old, aged domains, especially when they are good .com or .net domains.

a 25 year old abc.com is so much better than a 1 year old abc.com, for me anyway.

•••
what if have 2 very similar domain names, but one is a ( 21 Years old) and the other is just 2 years old, based on what you said, would you set the same price level for both?

Domainers are hard wired to appraise or value names based on things like age. End users dont necessarily know about this or care. However for domainers or end users, I dont think age is the deal breaker when it comes to the decision to get the cheque book out or hit the buy button. The age thing just gives more appeal. To me its as relevant as an estibot valuation.Would I set the same price? Yes, I would. But I would draw attention to the age if I was pitching the name to domainers.

•••

you're basically asking the same question twice, just rephrasing it.

but first, there is a difference between the "price you set" for a domain and the "final sales price".

since there are different sales methods among domainers, then there will be different pricing methods and strategies.

those who "wait for offers" will often have a higher price range in mind...for the "same" domain", than say a "flipper" who hasn't the "time" to wait and must "solicit" potential buyers.

that same "flipper" may also be willing to accept a lower price for a quick sale, as opposed to the seller who has the time to wait for the "right buyer".

therefore, for any "similar" domain the set price and final sales price, may always be different, simply because of "who" owns it.

imo....

•••
Yup, age is a huge factor for me. Mainly because I only buy classic extensions for collecting purposes, not their resale value. When something is aged, it tells me it has been well-cared for, not a throw-away item like so many things nowadays. What I love about an aged domain, is that even though it's value may not increase with time, it's quality never decreases, it is just as yummy as the day it was registered.

•••
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there cases when the age is reset. Like expired auctions or drops.

If a domain is 25yrs old and somehow ended up in my hands for a cheap price, I would think it's not that great of a domain. Someone either didn't want it, and dropped it, or nobody else thought it was a good enough domain to out bid me.

People look at age for domains because they think the best domains were reg'd a long time ago. Crappy domains were reg'd a long time ago too, not just today.

I would take a good day old domain over a crappy 25yr old domain. Also, things that were relevant 25yrs ago, might not be today.

It's what is between the 2 dots that matters!

I'm sure someone on here knows the oldest domain or the first couple domains that were reg'd.

This should be fun to see what pops up. Let's hear'em

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back