IT.COM

How often do you make a sale?

NameSilo
Watch

RocketByte

Established Member
Impact
I'm wondering guys, how many sales are you guys making when domaining out of the domains that you have?

Say for example, I have a 200 domain portfolio, and I get one sale every week. That's a 0.5% of my domains being sold per week.

I'm curious, is domaining your main source of income?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Daily sales. Typically 1-3. Not main source of income though. I find it amazing what the godaddy app, an email and a cute iphone can do. I own approx 8k domains, approx 7k of which I've inherited (thank God for rich friends who don't know what to do with them). So people are always reaching out to me. And, in case you're wondering, I usually sell 3-5 domains per year for xx,xxx to take care of the exorbitant renewal fees. :happy:

you are nourishing a myth
and of course you are a fake

Last edited:
•••
I wonder how come somebody who makes 3 sales to end users a day and some xxxxx sales in a year will bother to come to namepros and to use the bargain bin day by day to sell domains for 2$, I think that even the bump for that thread will not worth it, for somebody making xxxx in sales every day. It's so easy to throw up numbers of xxxx and xxxxx, but they all private and nobody knows about them but the one's which are public are all in the bargain bin. I don't think that you realize how easy is to do a reverse whois to check your domains.

Agreed.

Anyone making daily sales wouldn't be caught trying to pander domains for 2$ USD.

No disrespect to anyone who does.

•••
Sales is all we need. Unfortunately it doesn't come all the time. I will say like one per quarter for me

•••
On a real note some months i move zero domains. just parking rev and stuff. however others i can move 30 to 50 even all depends.

•••
Thanks for your interesting question, and those who have responded.

I have a modest low cost / low value (some would say zero value :xf.smile:) domain portfolio of about 70 almost entirely new gTLD domain names.

I began actively trying to sell domain names in May of this year through my website (http://namesthat.win) and the Namecheap Marketplace. Since the end of June I have been selling an average of 1 per week but only when I reduced domains approaching expiration to $$/$. So each month I sell about 5% of my portfolio but at very low prices.

So I definitely don't make an income from domain sales or I would be starving in the streets! My ultimate goal is to make enough to pay my purchase, renew, and hosting costs, plus maybe 10% more to represent some investment return. I seem on track to do that, but we will see.

My main interest in domains really is to find interesting, aesthetically pleasing domain names and phrases, and to help facilitate their use by someone. If I make a few dollars too, that will be a bonus.

Bob

•••
No real consistent average, some months could be a good handful and other months 0. Profit is probably a better gauge as someone could flip 50 a month for $2000 profit where someone else could sell 2 for 20k profit. Only consistent I'll say is when I could use the cash to inject into one of my developed projects=crickets When I have more money than I know what to do with=Everyone wants to give me more money When it's dry it's dry and when it rains it pours :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
the number of sales per month is a meaningless figure

•••
I used to sell at least one name a week, sometimes even two. Average price: mid $xxx.

My "luck" changed in early 2017. Now I am down at least 50%.

Last edited:
•••
Read this, too: How frequently do you sell domain names?

is domaining your main source of income?
Yes, it's all of it.

Special delivery! Germane posts of mine:
2% is on the upper end for a superb domain portfolio.

Of my best 2,500 domains, I have a sell-through rate of 2.5% per year.

If I consider all of my domains, it's less than 1% for my domain portfolio, but 1% is plenty to make millions if you accumulate an impressive portfolio (quantity and quality).
On an annual average:
I sell one domain a week for four figures.
I sell one domain a month for five figures.
I sell one domain a year for six figures.

Most of my sales come from about 2,500 domains that I've acquired slowly over many years. I have 20,000 domains, but the rest are lower quality that sell for three figures.

How long does it take to sell domains?

It varies widely based on the quality of your domains and your price expectations (how much you want for your domains). As an average spread of quality and expectations, it takes roughly 2-10 years but eager sellers could see an average of 5 years.

In simplified math, that means you need about 5*365 = 1,825 good domains (and be willing to sell at average prices in the range $200-2,500) to sell one domain per day.

Limitations and delimitations:
  • It doesn't work if you have 825 good domains and 1,000 below average domains.
  • Domains that don't have broad appeal take longer to sell and may never sell.
It's a numbers game. If you have enough domains, you will eventually have a domain that someone (or some company) really wants (or needs) and they'll be willing to pay an exorbitant fee for it.

They list domains at that price on mediocre domains for two reasons:
  1. To highball. They can never get more than they ask for on a sale. They start with a high price and negotiate from there, in an attempt to achieve the highest sale price possible.
  2. Price priming. Most of their domains sell in the $1,000 to $3,000 price range. Those random domains of the same quality (or worse) that they list at $30,000+ help make the rest of their inventory look like superb deals. The sticker shock of seeing a domain you don't want listed for $30,000 and then the domain you do want listed for $3,000 will cause many buyers to think, "That's one-tenth the price of that $30,000 domain name so $3,000 isn't that bad."
This sales method is psychological mixed with lottery. :greedy:

You cannot create consistent cash flow with domain sales unless you have a sizable portfolio.
. . .
Domain sales can happen daily, but you need a very large portfolio before that will happen, and your portfolio has to be good. You can't hand-register hundreds or thousands of domains and expect to have cash flow. Most hand-registered domains will never sell.

You have to build up a large portfolio over years of picking the best domains at the best prices that you can find.

That's the only way. That's why most domainers do it part-time until they've been able to accumulate a portfolio that is performing consistently and allows them to leave their day job. It's very possible, but it will take time and hard work.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back