Dynadot

question How often do people in the UK type in .com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wormfood

----Top Member
Impact
I was wondering how much type-in traffic .co.uk domains get vs .com in the UK. Does anyone here happen to know?

If you don't know much about UK type-ins, you can comment on the country you are familiar with, assuming .com is also used there with the ccTLD.

Maybe this is a dumb question :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
probably as many in japan type in .com, just depends on what people are looking for and what has been advertised. Since its the uk we are talking about, then the tv, radio, and movie industry affects what they look up and word of mouth also.

•••
Hi @jacoliobo, very often. .co.uk is if I am looking for something or someone specifically in the UK. Other than that, if its the main site for a keyword for example, I would type in .com but if it is something like I said earlier specifically in the UK then it would be .co.uk

Thinking for others in the UK it might be different but thats my personal usage.

Also, as @wesley sweatman mentioned, advertising/branding also plays a big part.

Hope it helps.

•••
@wesley sweatman Yeah, that's true, advertising is important.

So maybe I should have been more specific and said "search phrases" rather than a brand that is advertised, though the advertisements and use of .co.uk will still affect the search phrase type-in rate, I guess.. since people might type in what they use and see most.

I usually assume most people that know more about the internet are less likely to type in somephrase.com just because they think it might take them to a site with that. So I was kinda thinking what does the "layman" do (I think this may die down a lot in coming years since younger people know more about the internet) in the UK? For example, sex.com or sex.co.uk..
But maybe I am wrong about experienced people not doing it.
I just don't do it because I don't want to land on a page of ads, and Google is good enough for me, but maybe this is normal for others.

@Ezeil Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

As for this crazy RMG / Royal Mint Gold hype people are posting about.. I looked on google trends and people mostly only search for "royal mint gold" in the UK. If the RMG trend ends up not being very popular outside the UK, maybe .co.uk domains are more valuable in that niche?
I even saw on royalmintbullion.com that you have to have a passport to sign up there if you aren't in the UK. I wonder if that will carry over to RMG.

•••
im from uk and always type .com maybe its just habbit :D

•••
No worries. :)

I'm not to up on the RMG / Royal Mint Gold thing but Gold keyword domains in general do well in .co.uk from what namebio says but theres not that many recent sales. Gold.co.uk sold for £600,000 think early this year or late last year.

•••
How many people in the US type in .com rather than .us - it's much the same concept.

I don't think RMG will be a search term unless it becomes a virtual curremcy. I say virtual because I'm not sure the Royal Mint has a spare billion in physical goild to back up the currency.

•••
•••
It's interesting that most people don't trust the EU TLD. :)

•••
rmg isnt typed in yet because its so new no one knows about it hardly yet as being the abbreviation there going with.

•••
.eu is popular in Eastern Europe, because is cheaper than the local extention and in the same time many domains are stil available.

I live in UK and for sure small and medium size busnesess here using some ridiculous domains with .co.uk extension.... for example CheapManAndVanLondon.co.uk, they don't really care about the domain lenght

•••
In South Africa, people generally "trust" the co.za extension more than any other including .com. Hence they will rather type in co.za in my opinion.

•••
.eu is popular in Eastern Europe, because is cheaper than the local extention and in the same time many domains are stil available.

I live in UK and for sure small and medium size busnesess here using some ridiculous domains with .co.uk extension.... for example CheapManAndVanLondon.co.uk, they don't really care about the domain lenght

I've seen some indicate a web "presence" with an email address like
[email protected]

There is probably a massive market for low cost names with a generic web page and an email account. I toyed with the idea of setting up a site for this, hence some of my names, but I've got a bit dis-enchanted with any retail selling.

•••
No need email, just give them long exact mach domain and they will be happy :)

•••
•••
How many people in the US type in .com rather than .us - it's much the same concept.

I don't think it is the same thing. dot com rules in the US.

Dot us means almost nothing.

In other countries the country code rules.

•••
I once asked a similar question and the answer was this-

If you live in the UK and are looking for something local then you type in the cc tld.

If you are looking for something - not local like worldwide or a major brand, then you type in dot com.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back