IT.COM

sales How Much? What could be your reply in the a reply from a prospect

NameSilo
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for this write up, it is an important aspect of the domain trading

•••
Honestly I don’t think this response strategy would work…

Rather than asking them to provide more info, it’s better to do a buyer research by yourself.

Without considering who the buyer is, you should also have a price range in your own mind.

Asking too many questions and showing a lot of friendly greetings will not help.

•••
Thanks for the topic, Robbie. I personally feel different about this scenario, but it's pure imo:

Step 1 - ''to thank'' - is good.

Step 2 - ''request for additional info''. To me, it's a waste of their time and what is even worse - it's very obvious to them. It reminds me of a youtube video barbeque guy who is going around first asking all the guests how they want their steak and then cook them all exactly the same.
You have a long time price in your head, and the person on the other end probably too. He asked a simple question, he expected a simple answer. Asking them a type of ''tell me about your goals or your company'' for a busy person who is torned between many problems, projects and hussles will be very annoying. And this marketing spin is too obvious, he's seen it a lot.
What you can do though is you can surprise him by saying, ''hey, listen - depends on what you wanna do with this name. If you want to do a new project - one price, if you want to rebrand an existing business - another, if put just want to put redirect - third''. All three prices should be fine with you of course. But the point is - that will definitely bring his attention. Of course everyone understands - once he bought the name he can do everything he wants with it, but it will give him a clear idea that you thought thru about this domain, you are not just selling hot cakes.

Next step - to provide value for the name - why and how it's good - is fine (and nowadays easy with AI), and especially you can do it for each of the scenarios.
The rest is unnecessary.

After your reply it will be clear if he buys the domain or not. No time wasted for no one, no desperation to sell is shown from you.

Last edited:
•••
1. Have a reasonable price range in your mind
2. Speak less, negotiate less
3. Only negotiate when offer match seller range

Done

•••
So basically this sales scenario is about individuals that don't have a clue about the domains desirability or likely value. Don't try to prise open and access a potential clients motives for interest . Do your own research. just googling the domain term (without extension) and in quotation marks is going to give you more insight than asking the potential buyer.

Why ask pretentious questions that really are none of your business. Trying to establish some sort of pricing based on questioning is going to leave you looking naïve and unable to deal with simple transactions. So also probably unable to recognise the value of the domain.. If it was a reasonably high value domain, I would just play-you-along and be the fish that was far more wiser than the catcher.

Simple scenario, Buyer goes into auto dealership. I'm interested in the vehicle for my business, what's the price ? The seller goes off on some sort of tangent with his what type of buyer are you. how big is your business etc etc. Obviously I'm thinking what a freak. but hey I can play along as much as you want if it's going to lower the price. If it gets too impertinent Or once I'm bored I'll just go somewhere else

buyer goes into a shoe-shop. I like those pair of shoes for business wear. How much. Seller says 'I haven't got a clue - I haven't thought about it'

Last edited:
•••
I don't really have the time or energy to have a detailed discussion with every tire kicker.

I will hardly ever ask someone what their interest in the domain is. I don't like the question myself, and I believe most potential buyers don't either.

In most cases I would ask a price or say that I will consider serious offers.

Serious buyers make serious offers. It puts the ball back in their court.

I have tried to educate buyers in the past and while it might work in some situations, it often just leads to a self-entitled buyer insulting you or the domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back