Dynadot

advice How much should a startup spend on a domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
It’s that burning question, the one most startups have when it’s a few months (or years) after they should have started thinking about it. I don’t think it’s the first question that goes through a founders mind, which is why most startups just hand-register something for $10 that’s good enough to get started.
The logic is fairly simple here but I’m always surprised that people don’t hone in on these two things sooner. First, if your product is B2C, a domain name is likely very important, and it is absolutely critical that when a person hears your name, they remembers it, and can easily get to it online. If you sell a B2B product your domain name is still important, but it might not be as important as a consumer-facing company that relies on their website as the primary way they make money.
I think a startup should first take-into account if they are B2B or B2C. If you’re a B2B startup, think long and hard about how important that “perfect” domain will really be to your business. If you’re a B2C startup, ask yourself if a good domain name could be make-or-break for you. Next, look at what you raised last round, multiple that by 0.1 – what number are you looking at?..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think around 1-2% surely should be spend on good domain name.

•••
most startups just hand-register something for $10 that’s good enough to get started. :-D

•••
•••
As much as needed to secure a name that is memorable, catchy, positive, recognizable, and connected intuitively to your business. Otherwise you end up with a crappy brand like ap.le , amaz.n or spotif. or instag.am and have to spend tens of millions to build a recognizable brand, build a mental link from of a random word to your business and defend it from never ending stream of infringements. That fight will never be won for ap.le, you just can't rectify some errors.

•••
As much as needed to secure a name that is memorable, catchy, positive, recognizable, and connected intuitively to your business. Otherwise you end up with a crappy brand like ap.le , amaz.n or spotif. or instag.am and have to spend tens of millions to build a recognizable brand, build a mental link from of a random word to your business and defend it from never ending stream of infringements. That fight will never be won for ap.le, you just can't rectify some errors.

agreed. catchy, memorable, unique. No typo domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back