IT.COM

poll How much have you made in domaining since you started?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How much have you made in domaining since you started?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Greater than $1 million

votes
    9.9%
  • $500k - $1M

votes
    3.3%
  • $100k - $500k

votes
    14.0%
  • $10k - $100k

votes
    22.7%
  • Less than $10k

votes
    50.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just voted, and interested to see that 18% of those voted so far have made in excess of 1 million in sales! Really?

•••
Just voted, and interested to see that 18% of those voted so far have made in excess of 1 million in sales! Really?

It's possible since the sample size is still small...

For me, it's low $XX,XXX over 10+ years.

•••
Can any of the million dollar makers share their experience to let us know about their learning and implementation curve?

•••
People need to remember that domaining is not just a one dimensional industry, It is all not just buy and sell domain names. I have done ok in the sell of domain names, I have done better in domain name development using multiple sources of income on my websites. every domainer has their niche, some have multiple niches, a large percent are resellers and flippers IMO

•••
People need to remember that domaining is not just a one dimensional industry, It is all not just buy and sell domain names. I have done ok in the sell of domain names, I have done better in domain name development using multiple sources of income on my websites. every domainer has their niche, some have multiple niches, a large percent are resellers and flippers IMO

actually domainers and domaining are associated strictly with domain buying and selling (flipping). wherther through registrations or acquisitions.. sure there are different other ways to make money with domains.. such as development etc.. but then its called something else too.. and no longer domaining...

so by the title of this thread, I assume the op is talking strictly about domaining.. thus domain flipping. and the posts and votes are meant to reflect that...

•••
actually domainers and domaining are associated strictly with domain buying and selling (flipping). wherther through registrations or acquisitions.. sure there are different other ways to make money with domains.. such as development etc.. but then its called something else too.. and no longer domaining...

so by the title of this thread, I assume the op is talking strictly about domaining.. thus domain flipping. and the posts and votes are meant to reflect that...

You are probably right today, but years ago that wasn't the case, back when we had less than 10K-20k-30k-40k-50k members here, But in todays domaining, You are most likely correct, It appears to have become a squeeze play between all the name flippers IMO , and that is not a good thing IMO.

•••
I can't vote.....You should add an option for those who had a loss from domaining

•••
I can't vote.....You should add an option for those who had a loss from domaining

10k and less goes all the way to minus infinity

cheers

•••
I know but it doesn't give a clear idea of how many are actually at loss... I would have put "10k to 0" and "under 0" or "loss" as the last option

•••
•••
My wide don't even know what I am doing.

•••
Answered a $1M+. It isn't on buying and selling though, we buy with purpose and develop them into $1M+ in recurring revenue.

I count it.

•••
Answered a $1M+. It isn't on buying and selling though, we buy with purpose and develop them into $1M+ in recurring revenue.

I count it.

well.. each of us can see things any way you like.. or what to include in your profits.. but that won't make for a very good or accurate survey stats.

I guess it remains entirely up to the poster of this thread to clarify whether his vote is for domain flipping profit.. or for all domain related ventures.. be it parking.. website development etc..

it seems in some cases like yours web devel can make a 1million$ difference.. so all this can greatly affect the outcome of voting.

the official definition of domaining is buy/reg domains to flip for profit. official does not mean mine.

cheers

•••
The OP should specify what he means by "made." Is this revenue or net income?

If I buy a house for $300K and sell it for $400K, did I "make" $400K? No, I don't think so. I made $100K.

Last edited:
•••
The OP should specify what he means by "made." Is this revenue or net income?

If I buy a house for $300K and sell it for $400K, did I "make" $400K? No, I don't think so. I made $100K.
I mean the profits or net income, my friend.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I find it really interesting to see the results of this poll, although I wish it had been changed in two ways.
  1. I would have liked to see a category for losing money, to see how frequent that is.
  2. It probably would be helpful to have clarification regarding whether the intention was purely profit as in domain net sale minus acquisition/holding direct costs of that domain name, or if things like hosting, analysis costs, promotion costs and especially invested user time are to be costed.
Nevertheless, interesting to see results!

•••
•••
•••

I count it.
I agree! Exactly!

There are so many different roads to take when domain investing, but at the end of the day, whether someone invests in a domain to resell for a profit, invests in a domain to develop and resell for a profit, invests in a domain to develop and keep for reoccurring profits, invests in a domain to park for click revenue and eventually sell for a profit, etc.. it's all still investing in a domain name with the purpose of making a profit somewhere down the line with a short or long term strategy.

Diversification can be a good thing. :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
Doing it very casually over the past 10 years I would say I've only made about 5K - 10K profit. But that's not bad considering I've put in very little to no effort.. lol, most of that was from flipping four letter .com's before and just after they sold out

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back