IT.COM

How many registries force you to renew for 2 years?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Just went to renew a name I was debating about dropping at Epik which was due for renewal 2 days ago and when I got to the cart it is only allowing me to renew for a minimum of 2 years?

I mean wtf - I do not want to be forced into renewing a domain for a minimum of 2 years, I want the option to renew for 1 year, some domains I renew for 2 years, some 1 but I want the option to decide not be forced into it....

Any other registers that have this policy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It is what is was.....hopefully we get an official explanation

I am not anti Epik, there is no ulterior motive here.....

Very strange indeed. I'm not denying your story, just sharing what I see on my end. I have never heard of 2 year renewals being mandatory on .com before.

•••
@frank-germany Did you sell any domains registered there and if so, did the buyers keep the names their or already had accounts there?

•••
Very strange indeed. I'm not denying your story, just sharing what I see on my end. I have never heard of 2 year renewals being mandatory on .com before.
I confirmed with support and posted a couple of posts above yours, so it is there, but you just need to ask that you want to be able to renew for one year only, not more and they will set your account to that.

•••

I'm not denying @NickB story too.

Maybe they think it is "being helpful"

Would you be crying if it expired?

I recommend messaging Rob to change the expiry to 45 days after expiry if you're one of those people ;P
Dont wait until the last minute? Sounds like they tried to help you, and it backfired... it wasnt a "necesseity" why

let it expire in the first place?

But i really appreciate the compliment, "Nice enough guy" :)

Samer

•••
@frank-germany Did you sell any domains registered there and if so, did the buyers keep the names their or already had accounts there?

no
no

I just have a few domains with them
but will promote them as long as epik is promoted here

those are great guys
and they offer brilliant hosting/nameserver related domains
they are hassle-free and innovative

you can transfer out easily in generating auth code
I do not know if they do push

disclaimer :
I do own the stock
NET

•••
Phone got 1% will reply tomorrow, good night all 😉

•••
I'm not denying @NickB story too.

Maybe they think it is "being helpful"

Would you be crying if it expired?

I recommend messaging Rob to change the expiry to 45 days after expiry if you're one of those people ;P
Dont wait until the last minute? Sounds like they tried to help you, and it backfired... it wasnt a "necesseity" why

let it expire in the first place?

But i really appreciate the compliment, "Nice enough guy" :)

Samer
Not sure about that 45 days you are talking about but I was clearly told before when I asked about the dates that the max is 30 days and no more can be set. Default is 15 days and you have to ask to change and they double that for Np members. But 45, I am not sure, but then again , maybe it is for some people

•••
Yes, in the past I also have seen 2 years in my cart for the expired domains...
This "news" is very old.

•••
Just went to renew a name I was debating about dropping at Epik which was due for renewal 2 days ago and when I got to the cart it is only allowing me to renew for a minimum of 2 years?

I mean wtf - I do not want to be forced into renewing a domain for a minimum of 2 years, I want the option to renew for 1 year, some domains I renew for 2 years, some 1 but I want the option to decide not be forced into it....

Any other registers that have this policy?
@NickB - every Registrar has their own setup and rules.
I have been with Epik for 8+ years and it is standard that once the domain goes into the grace period, the default minimum renewal is 2 years.
I personally would be happy to assist you with your account settings - please email me directly at jessica [at] epik.com, include your account PIN # and I will see what I can do to help you out.
Note - our Customer Support team is online 24x7 too so in the future if you have a concern or suggestion, feel free to send them a note via email or reach out via chat. Thanks and look forward to your email.

•••
It is a legacy feature designed to prevent abuse of grace period.

However, NamePros members don't have that requirement.

If someone has this issue on their account, just ask our support team to update your account setting.

As for grace period, default is 15 days. It is increased to up to 35 days upon request.

There have been no changes to grace renewal practices in a very long time. The one big new addition is the ability to monetize your own expiry stream using NameLiquidate and keep 91% of the proceeds.

As far as I know, Epik is the only registrar to offer anything remotely quite so awesome.

Overall, if NamePros members can find a more favorable registrar or marketplace arrangement elsewhere, I would be surprised but we are certainly observing where we can improve.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, that is amazing glad to hear our domains are good for two years after expiry by renewing, since nobody else has that option it is nice to see a register finally charging on an expired domain 2 years worth of renewals, lessons the chance it will ever expire. You should just consider offering a slight discount on the two year mandatory year requirement.
@NickB - every Registrar has their own setup and rules.
I have been with Epik for 8+ years and it is standard that once the domain goes into the grace period, the default minimum renewal is 2 years.
I personally would be happy to assist you with your account settings - please email me directly at jessica [at] epik.com, include your account PIN # and I will see what I can do to help you out.
Note - our Customer Support team is online 24x7 too so in the future if you have a concern or suggestion, feel free to send them a note via email or reach out via chat. Thanks and look forward to your email.

•••
Wow, that is amazing glad to hear our domains are good for two years after expiry by renewing, since nobody else has that option it is nice to see a register finally charging on an expired domain 2 years worth of renewals, lessons the chance it will ever expire. You should just consider offering a slight discount on the two year mandatory year requirement.

Love out-of-the-box-thinking, @Daniel Owens. Im in minority agree

Make good out of bad.. Personally think "35 days" too lenient; makes lazy. "Selective outrage"

Keep mine 15. Incentive; RENEW!! .Epik .com $8.49, all-inclusive..Come on!

Should never be that close expiry.. Stay on top stuff; Renewed several max through 2029.

Last edited:
•••
Love out-of-the-box-thinking, @Daniel Owens. Im in minority agree

Make good out of bad.. Personally think "35 days" too lenient; makes lazy. "Selective outrage"

Keep mine 15. Incentive; RENEW!! .Epik .com's $8.49, all-inclusive..Come on!

Should never be that close to expiry.. Stay on top of ur stuff; Renewed numerous mine max 2029.
Have you ever done the lifetime domain renewal product 1 fee for life at epik?

Last edited:
•••
Have you ever done the lifetime domain renewal product 1 fee for life at epik?

Yes they only ones to go against the grain.

Epik is an innovator for simply offering service.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
What epik should do is if a domain expires renewal is $150 but gives you lifetime renewals.
Yes they're the only ones to go against the grain.

Epik is an innovator for simply offering the product.

On my wish list; : )) It actually got cheaper; and gets cheaper if 1-2 until max.

Talk @Rob Monster about that. Hope one day not only one. Go epik!
Pioneers. You enjoy that "rent-paying" mentality, @Daniel Owens? Then you get my excitement.

Great first step. No matter how hard you try. Just embrace it. Go @Rob Monster believe in you
Samer

•••
What epik should do is if a domain expires renewal is $150 but gives you lifetime renewals.

Blasphemy! Think of Inquisition afterwords! :)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
It is a legacy feature designed to prevent abuse of grace period.

You mean actually utilizing the grace period?

If you cant afford to be a registrar, don't be a registrar!

Want a normal grace period like at EVERY OTHER REPUTABLE REGISTRAR?
You have to specifically ask for that!

Want to purchase a backorder without paying some ridiculously inflated fee?

Should Epik even say they offer backorders?
No! They take 20+ minutes to register a domain once its available! This is not a backorder service at all!

Only want to renew a domain for one year that is slightly in the grace period?
(which Rob obviously feels his hardworking customers do not deserve)

Last edited:
•••
You mean actually utilizing the grace period?

If you cant afford to be a registrar, don't be a registrar!

Want a normal grace period like at EVERY OTHER REPUTABLE REGISTRAR?

Want to purchase a backorder without paying some ridiculously inflated fee?

Should Epik even say they offer backorders?
No! They take 20+ minutes to register a domain once its available! This is not a backorder service at all!

Only want to renew a domain for one year that is slightly in the grace period?
(which Rob obviously feels his hardworking customers do not deserve)

If you let your domains expire...

Then they must not be important?

Lazy Renew 30 days after it expired???

Deserve lose it Or charged 2yr $8.5 each year(Still less than one year Godaddy com price

There would be more outrage if Epik let the name expire. No-win. Keep mine 15, I've never had resort that close falling off edge to renew. Thank God! Credit it to keeping 15 not 30+ days ;P

"Woe is me" it takes minutes to email epik staff request; maximum days
why handle discretely, and professionally, when messes with "anti-epik" narrative?

"Reputable" version of a Registrar, DynaDot, which is the only registrar 30, 60 days lock-names bought market or auctions. I believe one few "late" beyond restore-fee. all okay; DD allow 35 days post expiry? DD makes hard transfer away expired. Typical epik inquisition.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
The point is, you CAN do this at a decent registrar, without being insulted or ripped off.

This isnt something you need if you simply buy domains and then flip them at a loss at Name Liquidate less than a year later. When you have a lot of names actually worth renewing, this becomes important.

Next time you leave your bedroom, please say hi to your parents for me :)

Last edited:
•••
I don’t under why people can’t just freaking renew their domains on the date or better yet just check auto renew...

I wish registers didn’t have such a long grace period.
Renew your domains on time!

•••
I don’t under why people can’t just freaking renew their domains on the date or better yet just check auto renew...

I wish registers didn’t have such a long grace period.
Renew your domains on time!

Promotes lazy delay, renew; procrastination.

request fulfilled 100%time. Proud 15 day grace thank epik is one the few have it

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Solution seems pretty simple. Get tagged as a NamePros member by Epik and you'll be treated like a domain reseller.

It's business. You need to remember that registrars have different types of customers. Registrars often have different price structures and policies setup that differ for their resellers and retail customers. eNom and GoDaddy come to mind. There's hardly any industry that treats wholesale customers exactly the same as retail customers. (Costco maybe.)

Last edited:
•••
The point is, you CAN do this at a decent registrar, without being insulted or ripped off.

This isnt something you need if you simply buy domains and then flip them at a loss at Name Liquidate less than a year later. When you have a lot of names actually worth renewing, this becomes important.

Next time you leave your bedroom, please say hi to your parents for me :)

Just say hello rather than engaging anonymously. Just imagine a registrar that treats you as a partner, not just as a number and a credit card. Crazy, I know.

The reality is that those full-service customers carry all the water when it comes to budget for innovation and service that domainers get to enjoy without having to pay for it!

Dual-pricing is a core part of the business model. Lucky for NP members, they are eligible for wholesale pricing with retail service.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back