IT.COM

Would anyone be able to explain the auto renew versus expiration date paradox with IONOS?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
First of, I want to say that for me, turning auto-renew off always is the best practice as I need to be control and decide which domains to renew and which ones to just let go (and I have a feeling that some registrars will attempt to bill you for renewals way in advance!). So - normally, I disable the auto-renew, note the information about each and every one of my domains in my spreadsheet and then follow up manually before the expiration date to either renew, transfer or cancel the domain.

Now, with IONOS, this works in mysterious ways as I believe when you remove the auto-renew, it removes a year from the expiration date in their Control Panel (it will then show 1 year less than what the WHOIS shows). If you turn it on, it would usually add that year back in.

As their billing via Contracts is SUPER-complicated, I don't want to run into any trouble where they charge me like a year in advance as it seems to suggest on this note that came up when I transferred 2 domains there recently:

1677849393235.png

Does anyone really understands this and would you be able to explain it in simple terms please? Any suggestions on how to handle this in a way where I won't see any surprised charges for domains I was expecting to let go will be appreciated.

The problem with removing the auto-renew is that once it passes the 1-year before real expiration date mark, the domain just disappears altogether from the Control Panel (this already happened to 2 of my domains with them)!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's 1and1 so I would avoid!

•••
about ionos after 7yrs.

1....auto renew disable doesnt work. support admits it. u need email em to disable it. for a registrar that's probably illegal but ok.

2... 99percent domainers used them for .co ... best price anywhere for transfer at 8usd. since 3 months that's over. 40usd now. so ionos and .co .... forget it.

3... so u may ask why use ionos..
no more reasons now... I have a few .info and at 2usd transfer that's the best price aroand.. so yea
....a year from now it's nothing but handful info for me there.

4... ionos has only 10day past expiry to renew... not transfer out. but if u get code and unlock b4 expiry.. u get 10 days to transfer out too... then forget it... u pay redemptions etc. 10day.is I.tink lowest of all places.

5... pay no attention to people who say ionos bad dont use... they just parrot others who parrot others..no more wrong with ionos than dyna etc... just different a bit.

6...best to transfer b4 expiry... avoid all prob....all u gotta worry is disable auto renew... forget whois.. years added or what not...

hope tis help
..turulu

Last edited:
•••
First of, I want to say that for me, turning auto-renew off always is the best practice as I need to be control and decide which domains to renew and which ones to just let go (and I have a feeling that some registrars will attempt to bill you for renewals way in advance!). So - normally, I disable the auto-renew, note the information about each and every one of my domains in my spreadsheet and then follow up manually before the expiration date to either renew, transfer or cancel the domain.

Now, with IONOS, this works in mysterious ways as I believe when you remove the auto-renew, it removes a year from the expiration date in their Control Panel (it will then show 1 year less than what the WHOIS shows). If you turn it on, it would usually add that year back in.

As their billing via Contracts is SUPER-complicated, I don't want to run into any trouble where they charge me like a year in advance as it seems to suggest on this note that came up when I transferred 2 domains there recently:

Show attachment 233251
Does anyone really understands this and would you be able to explain it in simple terms please? Any suggestions on how to handle this in a way where I won't see any surprised charges for domains I was expecting to let go will be appreciated.

The problem with removing the auto-renew is that once it passes the 1-year before real expiration date mark, the domain just disappears altogether from the Control Panel (this already happened to 2 of my domains with them)!
They bill on expiration

If you want to avoid those issues, turn auto renewal off after that (make sure the payment has been processed)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back