IT.COM

.info How many people inadvertently type the .com of a .biz or .info domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently sold the domain name azam.com. I own many of the other azam TLDs such as .biz, .info. .us and some of them are developed into fully-fledged websites. From your experience/know-how do you think there is a danger that I will lose traffic to azam.com - which I no longer own - if I use azam.us, azam.info etc.? I can stomach losing 0.2% but not, say, 2%.

Have studies been done to demonstrate how many people inadvertently type the .com of a .biz or .info site?

Cheers :p

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know any numbers, but I'd speculate it to be higher than 2%, at least if you are talking type-ins. It would partially depend on how much traffic came from type-ins vs. from links and search engines.

•••
Definately higher than 2%. I'm a web-savvy person and I inadvertently type .com instead of other extensions all the time.

•••
2% is just extremely low, i would say definitely a minimum of 30-40%.

Suppose for example u had the domain Wii.us, i am sure that most of the people would just type in the .com even before thinking about the .us

•••
not sure in terms of percentage. but, there will be definitely big loss in traffic.

•••
As mentioned above, the loss will be definitely be more than 2%. Most of people while typing in a name in the address bar type .com first than any other extension.

•••
This will depend on how many people type the name in. Some sites get a lot of typein traffic and some get nearly everything from search engines and links. The more people you have typing it in the more chance of a mistake.

As for figures, I have a small spoof site that is so obscure and static that I can't imagine anyone would find it except through a link or a search engine, and they would probably not come back for a second visit. I have the .com and .org of the name. The .org is what I promote but the .com also points to the site. 15% of the typein traffic goes to the .com. I would have to consider this the bare minimum amount of typein traffic a site could loose. It could only go up from there. Way up.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back