Dynadot

question How many .org domains do you have?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0003.png

Lot's of controversy around .org

https://onlinedomain.com/2019/11/14...o-a-private-equity-firm-called-ethos-capital/

So my question is....

1. How many .org's do you have?

2. How many will you drop if a large price hike comes?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only have one at the moment but I will keep an eye on things and see what happens.
GiveBuddy

Last edited:
•••
I have two and will keep them.

GeneticLab
DrCanna

•••
I had up to low xxx for all my domain life.
And no any good results for me in this TLD.

•••
around 30 .org for me - will be keeping a fair few of these over the next couple of years regardless of any price hike....

•••
I have 10 at present. But I have sold 12, that I know of, in the past.

•••
I have 0 .org and I really do not care much, just answering the thread question :)

•••
Dubay.org
DNGRS.org
OTCDesk.org

will keep for sure

•••
Hope so Bob. But I doubt it. They wouldn't have inked the deal without doing a 5 year DCF with various price points and parameters. Their bean counters would have crunched historical data of price sensitivity to registrations/renewals and the fluctuations thereof. They probably would have done all those modelling with different data points and I am sure blanket price increase is the pivot their deal is based on.. All conjecture at this point, but, higher likelihood :xf.smile:
That said, private equity does not necessarily mean that prices will rise dramatically.

Bob

•••
I have invested in around 18 domains. Most of them impulsive buys which I may drop. I see value in one word or two word domains that can be used by organizations (eg: Agitation.org, DewDrop.org) that provide social service and companies that may not have a .com domain available (eg: Overhaul.org).

•••
registered > VapingLawyer.org and a couple others

imo...

•••
After this "Private Equity"-deal, I am going to delete most of my .org domains.
Only keeping 2 or 3 .org domains for "brand-protection", where I run my own website on the .com domain.

•••
Around 30 .org in total, but will not renew around 10, if a price hike comes.

•••
I have only 2
GlobalHood.org
PhonePrivacy.org

•••
Last edited:
•••
I own only one but one of the finest.

Nagasaki.org

•••
1. How many .org's do you have?

2. How many will you drop if a large price hike comes?

Less than five afaik.

Drop if price increases? Yes.

Can they selectively increase prices on already registered domains, say by reclassifying as premium?

They could really bleed charities by targeting them with variable prices based on their turnover.

But actually I think all these .org domain holders will be assimilated into .borg and just hand over their assets to the collective. Time to drop and run.

•••
I have exactly 30 .org domains. Regardless of renewal price increase, I have two that I will sell or drop but will not be renewing. The other 28 are just too good to drop.

I have sold enough .org that I am well in profit from .org. Thank goodness.
Same here. Some of my best sales have been in .org. I must say that I find the .org extension prestigious.

I'll definitely renew most of mine, in spite of increases.

•••
Genuine users of .org (And most other tlds) domains would be willing to spend upwards of $150 per year on their domains. This could weed out quite a few domainers. Personal, and novelty websites/domains could be going away and social media platforms could take them over. Already seeing facebook doing a big push and google got rid of their Google+ but you don't think they are going to sit on the sidelines. Amazon has more storage and server capacity than any entity. THe industry will not look the same in 5 years.

•••
I had only ~10 .orgs at the moment they were allowed to increase prices. Resultingly, I already decided not to renew almost all. Once exception is 1 premium short domain, another - a "technical" domain where I have some emails historically. Will drop the second one after changing affected email addresses in all relevant places.

First they were allowed to increase price. Now, we have a private equity firm. It is enough. Hope that at least many non-U.S. .org registrants will switch to their country code TLDs. Some countries do offer .org subdomains under their country codes (.org.au, .org.uk just to name a few). Not sure about US-based .org registrants, since their country code .us is not too popular and switching to .com may not be possible, or practical...

Last edited:
•••
Few ORG's and 95% are .COM. Big bro will cover their renewal easily.

•••
Are they now explicitly allowed to set variable prices (= premium renewals) on domain-by-domain basis, like most new GTLDs? Anybody checked all the legal stuff?

•••
I have 4 .ORGs, and will probably drop all but 1 if prices are jacked unreasonably high.

I must admit I don't fully understand the variables at play, but what's the likelihood they will raise prices unreasonably high? Isn't it possible that they could even reduce prices in order to get more domains registered? McDonalds sells their food for dirt cheap and that's half the reason why they do so well. #McOrg

•••
Hmmm about 9 such as leggings.org , I use digitalroar.org for my agency even though I am not a charity, I feel like .org can be used for more than charities at this point, it obviously stands for organization and a business is an organization, vice-versa I have seen charities with .com

I doubt the price will go to 200$ lmao, that's clickbait.

•••
I have 4 .org domain, but i dont know in the future about higher price on .org because my website is like review product. it small business :xf.smile: if in the future get high price i will change it xixiii:xf.grin:

•••
I have 23 .org , 14 one word dictionary only relevant to the extension, 2 two worders, 7 three letter.

If they hike the price I would still keep them for sure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back