NameSilo

advice How many Months have you gone without a sale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
How many months have you gone without a sale? and your portfolio size? and what keeps you motivated?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
Some months and years are going to be better and some worse. I have had a great, consistent selling record from October 2019 to now. But I have had periods of no or small sales which taught me to invest in the best names I can afford and quality matters more than quantity. Don’t keep more names than you can afford and you will be weatherproofed against the leaner times.

Don’t register on a lark names you don’t believe in wholeheartedly. Too many have a one year plan when we know even good names can take many many years to sell. A major component of this business is patience which is easier for some and harder for others.

I think the best motivation is getting the best names you can and not having a ton of names you are unsure about. Keeping up on trends is a boost in confidence that help the decision process. Knowing you have good names is important in keeping the faith during down trends.

•••
A lot depends on what else i do. Eg maintaining a marketplace with about 10 gigs of traffic a month. The other sites which all help to landers getting about another 40 gig. All a bit down at moment since let go of something but I haven't sold anything this year i also haven't advertised any direct either. I actually am not caring too much as wanted to spend a year doing less and wanting to cull out rubbish i also have other massive commitments which can tie me over.

Last edited:
•••
None of my caterpillars have undergone metamorphosis and turned into moths this year.

Compare this stage last year to April 2020, the number of price requests and offers have increased (motivation right here), but sales have been elusive - for me this shows I adding better names as time goes by or it might mean I am asking for to much or that I am unwilling to sell to cheaply.....probably a bit of all 3......

I have set BIN's on my names, some are priced to go while the better ones I am adamant will not be sold on the cheap, if I have to wait a few years for those to sell so be it........

As mentioned above, patience, continual learning and making sure you keep your good names for the long term is important

Also a little self belief does not go amiss.....

•••
I think the longest I've gone without a sale was 10 months only to have 3 xxxx sales by the 11th month.

As long as you have good names, the sale will come. It's always a matter of time. However, that time may span over several years for some certain types of names.

Not everyone is cut out for the long wait. If you fall into that category of sellers, your best bet is to go for flipping liquid names with small margins like 3L, 4L, 3N, 4N and 5N .coms and maybe some Geo names.

Oh, portfolio size always hovers between 150 - 200 names for me. I also have a good job, so that keeps me motivated during dry spells in domaining. Domaining is my side gig

Last edited:
•••
beside your quantity & the quality of the domains, it depends on the price you put
if you put cheap-medium price, you will got more sale
if you put higher price, you will get less sale, but more $ for each sale

•••
Thanks for great views, how do you keep yourself motivated during dip?, I keep reading and learning , and clear out bad names

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for great views, how do you keepy during dip, I keep reading and learning , and clear out bad names

Pruning names is a good idea, especially in current economic scenario.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back